09-08-13 04:01 PM
530 ... 1112131415 ...
tools
    A million dollars for writing an app????????????? But maybe you're on to something.
    I know it sounds like a lot of money, but if you think about the fortunes RIM spends on marketing a million dollars is not much. They only have to pay the winner, but this will be a good (and relatively cheap) way to get a whole lot of great apps on other platforms ported to QNX.
    05-25-11 07:56 PM
    I plan on using my baby to surf and watch videos and i find the codec/video type support is lacking. With our gorgeous screens we should be able to play back divx HD and MKV files!!! please!!! Make this a multimedia beast!!! Also looking forward to watching Netflix and playing plants vs zombies!!!

32gb owner.
    I think the specs on the playbook would not be good enough for, say, a 720p H264 AC3 MKV file, let alone stuff like a 1080p DTS MKV...
    05-26-11 07:18 AM
    Media

It would be really nice to have support for MKV container videos, including subtitles.
    hear, hear!
    05-26-11 07:34 AM
    The playbook has copy/paste, why is everyone saying they want it? Just tap and hold on what you want to copy, move the arrows, and then tap and hold where you want to put it and select paste............
    Have you tried it on Sheets to go? To paste, there, you have to do it on the formula bar, not on the cell itself, but then IF the formula bar is empty you can't! You have to type a character, press and hold the finger ans only then does the menu appear. Then you have to delete the letter that you typed in order for the paste function to appear.
    05-26-11 07:42 AM
    Have you tried it on Sheets to go? To paste, there, you have to do it on the formula bar, not on the cell itself, but then IF the formula bar is empty you can't! You have to type a character, press and hold the finger ans only then does the menu appear. Then you have to delete the letter that you typed in order for the paste function to appear.
    not the easiest way to cut'npaste...

also - try to view a Youtube video in the browser - and then try to Copy the ShareLink to the video.... Good luck..,
    05-26-11 08:23 AM
    I have another suggestion for the keyboard.. The "123/sym" key should work like the "upper case" key. In other words, most of the time I use the "123/sym" key to get a quote key, colon, simi-colon, etc. So once I hit the key I want the keyboard should flip back to the alpha keyboard. Now just like the "upper case" key, holding it to lock would work if I need to enter a string of numbers or whatever. Kind of annoying to have to keep on hitting a key to switch back to the alpha keyboard after I press the one key I wanted. I'm sure I'm not the only one that thinks this would be a good thing.
    ubizmo likes this.
    05-26-11 12:11 PM
    A few little user interface requests;

1. A text pointer that appears in 'Word To Go' to help you pinpoint where the cursor is should appear across the operating system. Bridge apps like Memo are so difficult to use without it.

2. The keyboard displays $ as the default currency, even when switched to English (UK).

3. Autocorrect for spelling is sorely missed.

4. Totally agree with above - the symbol screen should switch back to normal keyboard after a symbol has been selected.

5. With the browser, it's almost impossible to precision select things to click on. It's incredibly difficult to full-screen a youtube video without pinching and zooming, because trying to tap the full-screen icon invariably activates the channel link below it. It'd be useful if touching and holding the screen brought up a cursor - or even the same pointer used in Word To Go.

6. Arrow keys on the keyboard - for games but also to make editing text a lot easier!
    Last edited by cfoxx; 05-26-11 at 01:44 PM.
    05-26-11 01:35 PM
    What I have to say has pretty much been said,
    1. just a huge thing for me is back button. Maybe a swipe from the right to the left in the top left corner would be good!
    2. Also its not very maditory because scrolling on the playbook is smooth but it would be nice to scroll with the bezle! Something nobody has!
    3. This has to do with media, this is something nobody has rim. Everybody would love it. When I'm listening to music I plug my phone into the stereo across the room and I'm a guy that likes to to play every song on my mind, not by random or by playlist.. So when I select one song I usually go back out and highlight the next one I want to play so I'm ready to click once the first song is over. It would be great to maybe press and hold to start playing a song right after the song playing stops. Or simply add play next in the menu.
    4. Lastly I'd love the option to cross play songs when one ends n the other starts. An amazing effect on PS3 and again on no mobile device.

Stop playin catch up rim, start throwing out specs nobody has but everybody wants, start playing leader.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-26-11 02:05 PM
    I'd like the keyboard to have a tab button for when you're filling out webforms
    I'd like double tapping space to make a period like on blackberries
    I'd like the option to set it so that holding down letters makes the capitialized version
    I'd like the option to organize bookmarks in the browser
    I'd like the option to clear the youtube recent viewed history in the youtube app
    05-26-11 05:34 PM
    two browsers? I don't like that the bridge browser and the wifi browser are separate. The Ipad has 1 browser and knows if your in wifi or 3g seamlessly.

Video is useless without a skype app

always giving me memory errors

Why are there two locations to configure wifi?
    05-27-11 11:18 AM
    oh ya. Why does the browser just suddenly close all the time? It's pretty bad when you hand a brand new shiny PB to a 12 year old and say here it's yours and they look at you and so "no thanks" I tried yours already.
    05-27-11 11:20 AM
    I would like to have a Bible reader on the Playbook. I use Olivetree's software on my Torch. I wrote to them and here is their reply. Based on what they said I think they and other vendors are indeed waiting on the Android app for the PB.

Hello Rod,

Thank you for your inquiry!

Since the BlackBerry Playbook uses an entirely new programming language, we don't yet have anything that runs on that device.

However, with the BlackBerry's assurance of support for Android 2.3.3 apps in an upcoming update, we're hopeful that our Android App (which is one of the prime focuses of our development team) will work on that device once the update is released. we are testing our Android App on multiple form factors, including several phones and tablets (including Android 2.3 and 3.0).

Please try the Android BibleReader app once BlackBerry releases that update, and be sure to let us know how it works for you.

Thanks,
    Phillip S

Olive Tree Customer Communications
    support@olivetree.com
    05-28-11 10:21 AM
    Don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but the photo viewer needs to rotate to Portrait for pictures taken in that orientation.
    05-29-11 01:15 AM
    I am having issues with the web. i go to some websites and if it takes long or have issues, it will close the browser. it is happening many times. sometimes it takes a long time to load and then closes. it lags at times. will it have internet explorer or mozilla or skyfire web browser in the future? this was a big issue for me and i almost exchanged the playbook for the xoom. but xoom have many problems of its own. when i try to save an image to the playbook, it doesnt save as jpeg or anything but some code that doesnt work. not even the playbook could read it nor recognize it. so why it gives me an option to save it??? definitely the browser needs improvements. i am awaiting for the next software upgrade to have more features of my playbook.
    05-29-11 03:12 PM
    I love my playbook, however..........
    Hardware
    Needs a memory card slot, and a replaceable battery. The power button does not bother me since I never use it. Fully functional GPS would be cool. Kudo's on BB Bridge, one data plan is enough for me.

Software
    Not gonna nit pic here, we all want the apps like Pageonce, Google Maps, Pandora and Netflix. They will come. I want my playbook to type like my Bold. Auto punctuation, spell check that works you know. Like a blackberry. Some arrows on the keyboard would be nice to go forward or back in text to edit. I have to say this is the only touch screen device I really like to type on. Did I mention spell check?

Im sure all the other things will be touched on by other posters here so I am only listing my biggest gripes. I know what is coming in future updates so they are not worth mentioning at this time. I bought the Playbook as an extension of my phone and when the software catches up as a portable option to a laptop. I love the size and dont want anything larger or I would have just got a laptop instead.

Almost forgot. I want access to everything on my phone through the bridge so I dont have to waste precious memory storage on my Playbook by duplicating things like music files.
    Last edited by waggs63; 05-30-11 at 01:44 AM. Reason: one more thing.....
    05-30-11 12:58 AM
    why is there no autocorrect? it should capitalize the cirst letter after a period like bbm does. it should add apostriphies automatically and capitalize i when it stands on its own.

bezel should act as a scroll pad. if i miss a letter i cant scfoll back through the letters, i have to zoom and tap to place the cursor.

look at this. it makes me look like i type like a five year old. pathetic.

EDIT:
    Please excuse the lousy spelling and typing in this post. I was posting from my PlayBook.
    I dont think the bezel is really touch sensitive at all, play around with it a little. Nothing really happens til you finger is on the screen. I do agree with the scrolling though but I dont think a software update would do it.
    05-30-11 01:51 AM
    The Bridge Browser needs the most work. Its quicker to browse on my 9700 than to use the Playbook Bridge Browser, and not just a little to, ALOT!.

Why?
    05-30-11 02:05 AM
    I have the same issue with the Bridge Browser. It was a great idea to incorporate that function as well as Bridge Files but unfortunately both have fallen horribly short of my expectations.

The normal browser is quite quick for me when I tether so I find it odd that the Bridge Browser is so slow considering it uses the same technology and internet connection. The only thing I can think of is that maybe when the phone is in modem mode it works much better or it is a software problem. Could be a BIS issue too.
    05-30-11 06:01 AM
    Having to register an account with every different app! This sucks balls so much. I don't want an account for Kobo eBooks, one for the music store, one for BlackBerry ID...

My BlackBerry ID should be tied to my credit card/PayPal and I should use that ONE account to pay for music, eBooks, apps.

I will not use the music store or Kobo if I have to register seperately.
    05-30-11 12:21 PM
    Hello all,

I've been lurking ever since I bought my Playbook. There are a couple of things I'd like to see implemented in future updates:

When you have 2 apps open and you close one of them, the last remaining app should automatically maximize without having to tap the app. Right now you have to select it to maximize it and it makes the interface look unfinished (unpolished).

A wifi sync for the Word To Go and Sheet To Go apps to sync with a computer. The paid app Docs To Go does it on the ipod.
    05-30-11 03:00 PM
    I said it before and I'll say it again, when does this thread get bundled up and shipped off to RIM?

As for suggestions, the RIM should take all fo the functionality found in the Torch and carry it forward to the PlayBook with tablet specific modifications. I shouldn't be able to to more with my Torch than I can with my PB.
    wiredr likes this.
    05-30-11 06:13 PM
    I would love a new tab button on the top bar of the browser next to the url input box. I hate having to swipe down or tap the tabs button every time I want to open a new tab.
    05-30-11 06:49 PM
    i want to be able to create folders and organise my desktop icon or apps just like in bb phone.
    05-31-11 03:33 PM
    Not sure if this was mentioned, but here's one thing I found quite annoying. I'm in the browser and I want to enter a new address. The little address bar is minimized. I have to swipe down to reveal the address bar, and when I type the address the suggestions from history pop up. The problem comes up if I try to tap on any suggested link or on the 'google' letters to search for what I typed - it closes the the address bar. So tapping on suggestions does not work unless you start typing with that little address bar non-minimized. Hopefully this is clear. Please RIM add this to you list of things to fix.
    05-31-11 03:46 PM
    A few more bugs I'd like to see ironed out -

1. There's no way to interact with popup web menus. For example on Boots.com you can mouse-over categories and select from the drop down, but this doesn't work on the PlayBook because you can't mouse-over items.

2. Entering username and passwords on some websites is buggy because the keyboard disappears after every letter entered. It does this on CrackBerry forums all the time for me.

3. If you fullscreen a flash video, and then minimize the browser, turn to portrait, then back to landscape, the fullscreened flash video appears shrunk when you reopen the browser.

4. I find interaction with the unit a bit inconsistent. With the main menu of icons, I have to drag the tray up to see more icons. But in AppWorld this doesn't work, I have to click a tiny little arrow to expand the tray. During initial setup, I swipe across the screen to go back and forth between setup screens - but in most apps I have to look for a 'back' button. Also, there's a universal feature that dragging from the top bezel displays an App menu, yet in the browser there's also a 'switch' to show one of the menus - if 'swipe from the bezel' is the future, then this should have been done by swiping twice.

5. BBC iPlayer website doesn't work at all well in the full flash browser. Quite often videos crash, and then just stutter and there's no way to get it back to normal. Rebooting the PlayBook still makes iPlayer try and 'resume' from the point where it all went wrong, and even emptying all the Browser's caches etc doesn't clear the cookie telling iPlayer to resume.

6. The programme duration/time elapsed on BBC iPlayer programmes does not disappear - even though it is meant to. PlayBook is interpreting the flash animation incorrectly.

7. I've had the PlayBook just over a week, and I think the main LED behind the screen has started flickering. I bought it on ebay, so I'm screwed.
    06-02-11 06:22 PM
530 ... 1112131415 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD