The next update should include sms, file organizers, ability to answer calls, spell check, faster bridge connection, continued improvement in browser speed, improved gps, and better keyboard functionality. I'm enjoying my playbook and looking forward to the improvements. I'm not a heavy app user and I feel that the focus for the playbook should be on the foundation or core system and add from there. Personally I think the hold up on the update is the android app player.
    so do we know the boys at BB are at regarding the arrow and tab keys on the key board yet? (i'm really missing em)
    08-02-11 03:26 PM
    I saw some guy using "penultimate" (freehand note taker) on the iPad and really want an app like that for the PlayBook.

I decided to try a couple of stylus(es) on my Playbook. In each case I had to press too hard for it to be practical in a note taking environment - even in a normal environment of app selection and keypad presses. The iPad I tried them on was totally sensitive to each stylus I tried.

Is this a software issue with the PlayBook, or is it a problem with the screen itself?

I must add that I have a screen protector (bought from Amazon) on my PlayBook. Does the same problem exist without a screen protector?
    08-08-11 06:00 AM
    OS

What about a lock screen...

Think about it - the same swipe to unlock gesture works, but if it is improperly completed or someone touches the locked screen, an image appears for 5 or 10 seconds telling you to swipe to unlock. This would help a lot of the people that dont know how it works and scare a lot less people away.
    08-10-11 02:04 PM
    having trouble with app world. Facebook app disapearing as soon as it boots up. wifi sharing on wap could not be performed. went to work and use open wifi and it worked flawlessly. interaction with Comcast e-mail still has issues sync leaving notifications well after deletions. playbook does not like Onstar site.
    09-06-11 12:57 PM
    enabling notifications on the bb to stop going off once they are open on the pb.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-20-11 07:43 AM
    In-store Product Demonstration

I just wanted to point out a few things that I've been noticing since PB was released (sorry if somebody have already mentioned these but I haven't had time to read through 31 pages of conversation).

1.) Since it is very different from an IPad, most people do not know how to use a PlayBook (i.e., slide down and slide up from the bezel). Perhaps it's just a coincidence but I have not seen any instructions in the stores that I've been to (2 Best Buys and 2 Staples').

One time I was playing with one of the Android tablets and saw a girl "attempted" to use the PB next to me and for the life of her couldn't figure out what to do with it. After about like 2 minutes she decided to give up until I showed her what to do.

My suggestion: more in-store demonstration or even a simple cardboard showing how to use the bezels could possibly help.

2.) I have noticed that most of the PlayBooks on display are not logged in to AppWorld. Since a fresh unit does not have that many apps, people usually cannot find any more use for it. When I tried it for the first time, I wanted to play some games but when I attempted to download from AppWorld, it wouldn't let me because it isn't logged it and I wasn't going to put my username on a public tablet.

My suggestion is that RIM to come up with some sort of "demonstration account" for the in-store display tablets so that people can download free apps if they wanted to.
    09-20-11 07:58 PM
    EMAIL:
    The playbook requires urgently the capability of supporting email offline compatible with exchange, just pull the data the same way that you do with the blackberries, we cannot depend on a blackberry to be able to use email on a playbook. I prefer to use my other devices is quicker.
    Blackerry Bridge is slow and uses battery.

You need to do this or Playbook will be history in less than a year !!!!!
    09-25-11 12:04 PM
    1.) Since it is very different from an IPad, most people do not know how to use a PlayBook (i.e., slide down and slide up from the bezel). Perhaps it's just a coincidence but I have not seen any instructions in the stores that I've been to (2 Best Buys and 2 Staples').

One time I was playing with one of the Android tablets and saw a girl "attempted" to use the PB next to me and for the life of her couldn't figure out what to do with it. After about like 2 minutes she decided to give up until I showed her what to do.

My suggestion: more in-store demonstration or even a simple cardboard showing how to use the bezels could possibly help.
    Strongly agree. When the PB first came out, this was a problem for me, too, and I was extremely interested in it. I can only imagine how quickly this would have turned off those without an interest. How about this suggestion:

Create an easy "tutorial" game to learn PlayBook gestures -- I'll call it Bezel Quest. Set it up Bezel Quest as a default screensaver for in-store PlayBooks -- after two minutes of inactivity, it defaults back to Bezel Quest. Instead of a weakness, this becomes a strength.
    09-25-11 05:04 PM
    My suggestion has nothing to do with the Playbook per say, but rather with how developers are treated. Take a page from Sony who has now contracted Gameloft to develop and bring over six of their top selling apps to the new Sony tablets. RIM should have been making deals to the major developers to bring over their apps to the barren wasteland that is none as App World; it's probably too late now.
    09-25-11 05:44 PM
    To help differentiate PB from other tablets, and to shore up RIM's position in enterprise, I think the next version should have a stylus and something like MS OneNote so that the device is ready for taking notes in meetings. It might be best if the device was a bit larger too.
    [email protected] likes this.
    09-27-11 12:41 PM
    Agree completely. For some of us "oldies" (physician: use PB to access lab results / patient records on the fly: PB fits in lab coat pocket!)- never quite comfortable texting away with thumbs: ability to write notes directly would be killer. Size of PB simply begs to be used as a "notebook" for taking notes! Also mean ability to take signatures. Then add in handwriing recognition? Agree with previous note: handwriting used / perfected over 2,000 years, why throw it out now (and I have true MD handwriting!)? Understand current PB screen does not allow for fine pen: next version (set it apart form the other Tablets)?
    Have Blackberry phone: Bridge works great re giving secure access to Email / files through phone, disagree with previous complaints (latest version?)
    Use Citrix to access Hospital files: Citrix Systems � Desktop virtualization, virtual desktop - Citrix Receiver. Can use all of the Microsoft programs loaded on Hospital Citrix server on PB, just wish current version had magnifiy capability (forms / results / spreadsheets optimised for desktop, hard time using fingers on PB to select buttons / spreadsheet cells. Will try capacitive pen: see if that does job)
    Agree also power button sucks, need file explorer, ability to organise apps icons into personalised folders!
    10-11-11 09:14 AM
    Also would not make PB bigger (as noted: fits in lab coat), but make screen bigger, bezel smaller (even .25" either side adds 7.5% to screen area)?
    10-11-11 10:05 AM
    The wifi is very weak on the PB - that needs to be fixed. I've been a couple of places now where I could connect with my BB yet the PB couldn't see the network at all. Hopefully a software update can fix this.
    I'm glad to see this comment since I've been wondering about the same thing. There are places in my own house where the PB can't find or stay connected to my wifi just a couple rooms away when all our other tech gadgets have no trouble. Weird.
    10-11-11 10:52 AM
    Bluetooth or WiFi file transfer from BB to Playbook memory.
    Totally. I couldn't believe it when I bridged by Bold and looked at its photos from my PB but couldn't copy any of them to the PB. Seems like a complete doofball move to not accommodate something like this.

I guess this would also fall somewhat under all the other requests in this thread for a File Manager function. It seems like while using my PB I'm ALWAYS wanting some type of Menu button or "left click" functionality to bring up options for things I should be able to do with files but can't (e.g. rename and/or email a photo I've just taken with the PB, view properties and/or file size of photos, etc, sort photos by various details).

I suspect my gripes and all the other posts in this thread are what caused the initial PB reviews to say it seems unfinished. How could RIM possibly release a tablet they thought would be competitive if it won't do simple, seemingly intuitively desirable things, like renaming files, transferring bridged files, and other Menu-type things that my Bold is so good at doing. Hoping 2.0 will address all of these things and be a significant software improvement.
    FF22 likes this.
    10-11-11 11:00 AM
    A) Hardware/Software Feature

- Virtual Trackpad : triggered by swiping from the bezel to the screen on the bottom right corner

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-11-11 12:35 PM
    RIM needs to add an Accessibility Option to it's OS so a large section of the population can read Icons and apps. This would truly enhance the usability of this great Playbook
    FF22 likes this.
    10-11-11 01:14 PM
    So will we be revisiting this soon and checking off posts by number?
    10-11-11 04:33 PM
    RIM needs to add an Accessibility Option to it's OS so a large section of the population can read Icons and apps. This would truly enhance the usability of this great Playbook
    Perhaps "pinch to zoom" on everything?
    10-11-11 04:34 PM
    Perhaps "pinch to zoom" on everything?
    I guess I had expected something like that on the pb (or any tablet).
    10-11-11 05:50 PM
    Did anyone remember print this thread, tie it to a carrier pigeon's neck and fly it to Waterloo so all these features can be included in 2.0?
    10-12-11 08:10 PM
    Fully functional Docs to Go (Can't even edit a Powerpoint presentation, let alone create one)

A beep when the power button has been successfully engaged

Picture transfer between phone and PB

And by the way, I am amazed at this device! So many nice touches and fantastic functionality!
    10-12-11 08:30 PM
    bumpity bump
    10-14-11 02:32 PM
    Did anyone remember print this thread, tie it to a carrier pigeon's neck and fly it to Waterloo so all these features can be included in 2.0?
    Anyone?

Or was this just all fun and games?
    10-14-11 02:46 PM
    Please modify the bluetooth software to accommodate stereo headphones and speakers.
    10-19-11 03:11 PM
    Anyone?

Or was this just all fun and games?

HELLLLOOOOO!?!?! Anyone?

Were these suggestions ever forwarded to someone at RIM?

So far we really know very little about what sort of improvements have been added to OS2. We know that they botched up the home screen UI, but there are a log of good suggestions in this thread that could be woven into the various apps on the PB for added functionality.

So will OS2 feature the suggestions in this thread or have all the improvements been made to the back-end that we won't really see?
    11-02-11 01:37 PM
530 ... 1718192021 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD