I would love to see a "no camera" option playbook. It wouldn't have to be available in all memory levels just the medium 32 gig level is fine. My job does not allow cameras of any type. I have a no camera 9780 and would love to have a playbook to match!

I just bought a playbook for my wife to use and I'm rather jealous now. We would currently be a two playbook household if there was a no camera option available.
    I would think RIM would be working on a way BES admins can disable them but who knows.
    05-18-11 07:28 AM
    Like some of the pre-release reviews, I was not sold on the bezel aspect of the Playbook (some of the reviewers compared the look of the PB to simple digital picture frame viewers). But it has steadily grown on me and I think it may turn out to be one of the PB's distinguishing strengths, and it should become more useful as developers begin to incorporate it into new apps. Also, you have to have some real estate to hold the thing, no matter what the size. Have you noticed the tv and youtube adds for the larger tablets, shot from the user p.o.v.? The guy or gal holds the thing so effortlessly and daintily that it must be made of crepe! It's such a studied, exaggerated effect in the ads that it to me, at least, it produces the opposite from the intended impact, as it looks to me that it would be a real pain in the hands to hold something that big with just the very tips of your fingers. So I don't mind even the non-active parts of the bezel, because you can more comfortably hold the Playbook.
    I understand it makes it easier to hold an all that but the bezel is about an inch on each side. If only the screen was expanded just a few more mm's one each end lol it would be a noticeable difference. Slightly bigger screen size with same form factor would be perfect for me. I dont want to lose any gesture functionality at the same time though.
    05-18-11 10:03 AM
    ...don't post often, but a simple improvement to my PB is the same data (send to/receive from) transfer arrows when I'm using BB bridge that are on my BB.

My 9550 shows that the data is coming and going (BT, WiFi, 3G, but if I hit a 'reply' or 'delete' or do anything that should be transfering data on my PB, I'd like the PB to let me know by showing similar data arrows (I'm not talking about download progress). Right now, if I tap a key (say replying to an email) I can wait, and wait and wait... only to discover the BB never received the keystrokes. When I hit 'reply' or 'delete on Mailbox and HH' or 'HH only', I'd like to see that arrow showing the data activity sending my command to my BB. I can be patient if I see a visual cue notifying me that something is happening.

...am I crazy, (bad question...) or is there activity showing on the screen that I'm just too x-eyed to notice?
    05-18-11 02:47 PM
    when typing, it would be nice to have in the virtual keyboard a left and right arrow in order to edit he text instead of having to delete part of it and restart, because it is a pain to place the text cursor right where you want to in my opinion.

an option to rapidly scroll at the top or bottom of a web page would be great to replace the many flicking gesture necessary for long pages.

other than that so far so good
    05-18-11 04:22 PM
    We probably want a way to freely open & close our keyboard on PB...
    We've always had this via the bottom left bezel swipe gesture.
    05-18-11 06:49 PM
    when typing, it would be nice to have in the virtual keyboard a left and right arrow in order to edit he text instead of having to delete part of it and restart, because it is a pain to place the text cursor right where you want to in my opinion.

an option to rapidly scroll at the top or bottom of a web page would be great to replace the many flicking gesture necessary for long pages.

other than that so far so good
    1. not only a left and right key but an up and down would help also...
    2. a Nook and Kindle app would also be great plus but maybe when the Android emulation app comes out then these apps and many others will migrate over.
    3. i agree, the ability to have side by side browsers open would be cool. Or top and bottom in portrait mode.
    05-18-11 06:56 PM
    oh.. one other thing that would be great is an e-mail app that you can set up your own POP3 and SMTP.
    05-19-11 12:44 AM
    i believe that should be a request to Rim, as to add an additional key, lets say "cur" or "nav" as is on the symbols key "sym" ,so users have an option to tap "cur" or "nav" and use the cursors key to navigate through text, keys needed would be, arrows left right up down, page up down, home end, and shift visible also so we can select text for formatting. ie. tap shift and hold then move with arrow to select text then hit the bold or color or any option button on the wysiwyg editor to format that text. Remember the current hold until select shows is only for copy paste and not as a select tool, you can not select that way and format. Other keys mention here might help also to fill the space as shortcuts.
    05-19-11 02:46 AM
    What I think would be nice is if the PlayBook would mirror the sound profile of your BlackBerry. For instance if you set your BB to 'Silent' then the PB would not make that notification sound.
    jtvoxboi likes this.
    05-19-11 01:50 PM
    A)App World

-Ability to open a downloaded app directly from within App World like you can on a BB Phone.

-Mentioned before, a back button from My World so that I don't have to start from the beginning.

-Sorting abilities so that I can sort apps by price/ratings/alphabetically/updated/uploaded

B) OS

-Ability to create your own Folders/Categories

-Pinch to Zoom anywhere in the OS, not just in the Browser

-Ability to hide and rename icons
    Last edited by Prey521; 05-19-11 at 04:17 PM.
    05-19-11 04:01 PM
    A)App World

-When one of your downloaded apps has a pending upgrade, maybe that app should be at the top of your "My World" list as opposed to you having to hunt down your list to find it.
    05-19-11 09:28 PM
    Browser:

Add a search feature to find text within an active web page.

Media Player:

Add a feature to allow adding bookmarks in movies so you can resume watching the movie at a later time. Currently you have to forward manually after closing/reopening a movie.
    Last edited by thschneider; 05-20-11 at 11:57 AM.
    05-20-11 09:20 AM
    Here's my recommended list:

Longer battery life (although it does run for a long time at 0% battery life)
    No grey and white squares when scolling in browser
    Faster/better zooming out in pdf reader
    Universal search
    Faster and more reliable bridge
    AUTO-CORRECT!!! I'm far too lazy to spell correctly
    File manager

Luxuries I would like to have:

Zooming in movies
    Open multiple apps at once using multiple fingers
    Multiple finger gestures
    Faster app opening
    Make it easier to zoom into pictures without skipping to the next picture
    Custom categories (All, Games...)
    More camera options

Hopefully I'm not asking, much I can always dream....
    05-20-11 04:50 PM
    has this been mentioned transparent keyboard the abbility to choose the transparency of the keyboard so you can see what your typing if it goes under the keyboard
    05-21-11 07:25 AM
    i love the Playbook and it will only get better.

Some of the things i would like to see are:

A full version of Abode that can create and edit PDFs.
    A printing capability
    A more elaborate Power Point that can display the animations and sounds.
    Be able to answer the phone through the Playbook when BB Bridge is active.
    File manager
    A cradle that has USB and SD slots
    Ability to add to contacts from bridged messages.

That is it for now. Anybody know when the next update is coming?
    05-22-11 03:07 PM
    C) Bridge

A complete Bridge notification system which mirrors all the messages on your BB handset - SMS, Facebook, eBay etc.

This is a criminal oversight in the current OS imo, why are only emails sent via bridge?
    Last edited by Doz_007; 05-23-11 at 11:07 AM.
    05-23-11 11:04 AM
    If you have music playing from the media player in the background it would be nice if it would get muted as soon as a movie (like a flash movie on a web site) in the browser starts to play . Once the movie finishes the music should resume again.
    05-23-11 12:23 PM
    I am an IT Admin - we get email notices of our help desk tickets - when I launch the liknk on my Storm I am able to log into the internal web server and display my ticket on the Storm's browser - doing the same thing on the Playbook gives me an "Unauthorized User" message - I need the login script to launch to be able to access the help desk ticket
    05-23-11 02:39 PM
    I really like the playbook. It has a lot of potential and some limitations that have been talked about extensively. To me, the main challenge is to establish QNX as a major platform. Here's what I think RIM should do:

1. Release the Native SDK ASAP.
    2. Launch a contest for app developers with SUBSTANTIAL monetary prizes for the winners. For example the contest could ask for apps in different categories. The winner of each category would win $100K. The overall winner would win $1,000,000. Weighted opinion of users, developers, and RIM staff can rank the apps. A free playbook incentive is OK for one-man developers but doesn't do anything to entice well established developers of other platforms to develop for QNX.

What do you guys think?
    lgx22 and Morten like this.
    05-23-11 03:36 PM
    My list so far:

- Ability to use the front camera to take pictures, and videos just like the main camera.
    - Copy, paste everywhere, browser, text, mail, just like my bb torch
    - Autocorrect
    - Improvement on the internet browser, it's doing fine but flash heavy sites give the browser a hard time.
    - Faster on line video playback, I've tried same video on my pc simultneously and the playbook seems to load it much slower.
    - Note pad, calendar, passwor keeper and utility apps present in my bb

Hope this help. Meanwhile I'll keep on enjoying my PB.
    05-23-11 08:54 PM
    My list so far:
    - Ability to use the front camera to take pictures, and videos just like the main camera.
    You can scratch this one off your list. When in the cam or video mode, touch the screen and there will be a icon in the bottom right corner with a camera and a double-headed arrow. Hit that to toggle front/back.
    05-23-11 08:59 PM
    I really like the playbook. It has a lot of potential and some limitations that have been talked about extensively. To me, the main challenge is to establish QNX as a major platform. Here's what I think RIM should do:

1. Release the Native SDK ASAP.
    2. Launch a contest for app developers with SUBSTANTIAL monetary prizes for the winners. For example the contest could ask for apps in different categories. The winner of each category would win $100K. The overall winner would win $1,000,000. Weighted opinion of users, developers, and RIM staff can rank the apps. A free playbook incentive is OK for one-man developers but doesn't do anything to entice well established developers of other platforms to develop for QNX.

What do you guys think?
    A million dollars for writing an app????????????? But maybe you're on to something.
    05-23-11 09:00 PM
    You can scratch this one off your list. When in the cam or video mode, touch the screen and there will be a icon in the bottom right corner with a camera and a double-headed arrow. Hit that to toggle front/back.
    Great! Thanks for the tip!
    05-24-11 08:08 AM
    Hello here is some stuff i have noticed and think they need to fix

Bridge:

- Icon of Blackberry Bridge on the Playbook's configuration and status bar (beside orientation lock) shows a "Windows" logo instead of Blackberry like the Bridge App for the smartphone
    - When receiving calls the Popup doesn't show the right contact, i believe it only checks the last 4 numbers on something like that. i.e. contact A: 555-1234 and contact B: 999-1234 if contact B calls the popup shows contact A info.
    - Sometimes the Bridge App icons become invisible, only the tag (name) of the app is shown with an empty hole over it.
    - BBM app has two emoticons swapped (Raised Eyebrow and Whew!), i don't mean the appearance but functionality
    - Bridge Browser is slow, sometimes i rather tether and use regular browser, this also brings me to... why Bridge Browser has to exist? would be nice if the Browser app just pick the best available connection (Wifi > Bridge > Tether)
    - Messages icon always has the notification star on it (starting to believe that's how the icon is designed)
    - Ability to transfer files from the SD to the Playbook memory
    - Bridge files... well that's an app to get sad even if you are having a good day if i could I'll erase it or at least edit it so it wont show the "pictures, videos, and music" icons that it CANT USE!

- Tether connection seems to stay on sometimes after you hit disconnect, had to turn off Bluetooth to make sure it was off.
    - Would be nice to create tray groups, but they don't even have that on the smartphone so i guess wont be seen that anytime soon
    - Improve the performance of AIR apps, every app not written on native seems just a bit laggy when scrolling. i.e. App world when scrolling while browsing for apps is not a quarter of smooth as the main screen (maybe because is pulling info from the web but that shouldn't be a problem with the snappiness of the scroll)
    - Need the ability to perform arrow key strikes with the on-screen keyboard, this would be great for editing and will add a lot of flash games that we can load but not play.
    - Native fully functional File Browser (Copy, Paste, Delete, Create and Change Name)
    - Browser doesn't show where the cursor is when writing on a Textbox (like google) only appears after you typed something (this just annoys because you are never really sure if you hit the textbox before you type)
    - Video App should have a way to select the audio tracks, i have mp4 videos with 2 or more languages and cant change from "track 1". Also would be nice to be able to load subtitles. I guess this will be approached by a 3rd party video app :S
    - Would be nice to have some way to automatic sort icons by date installed or alphabetical
    - I don't know if someone was touching my PB but a couple of apps disappeared, i noticed when i was looking for Tetris and couldn't find it (however would be nice an "are you sure you want to delete?" maybe some security profiles for file managing)

That's it for the moment will keep updating if i find more bugs or stuff that might need to be fixed
    Last edited by Takhis; 05-25-11 at 10:39 AM. Reason: remembered more stuff
    05-25-11 12:23 AM
    Fix the damn browser already. They raved about the internet capabilities, yet I still hardly use it to browse. I like my pb and all, but my Nook loads crackberry instantly. In fact, I end up browsing on this thing more than on my pb or ipad2 haha. It should irk me but for some reason its just funny

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-25-11 03:34 AM
530 ... 1011121314 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD