Why doesn't Rim offer there playbook for cheap maybe $150 if you get one of there old gen smartphones. This could Rim upgrade their older devices and keep there current users fixed. Just a suggestion.
    02-05-12 06:25 PM
    I think their whole point is to have everyone updated to OS7, OS6 wasn't exactly stellar.
    Buy a OS7 device and get a PlayBook for $99.99?
    02-05-12 06:31 PM
    RIM has a business plan, your suggestion isn't part of it and i doubt it ever will be. Their marketing managers think that their plan is best, clearly it doesn't seem to be working, we can all have good ideas but most of the time others think that their idea is best.

RIM might have had better sales if they marketed the playbook as a phone companion rather than a stand alone device because to be quite honest when it came out in April unless you had a blackberry smartphone the functionality of the tablet was limited to a portable web browser and music/movie player.
    02-05-12 06:32 PM
    RIM has a business plan, your suggestion isn't part of it and i doubt it ever will be. Their marketing managers think that their plan is best, clearly it doesn't seem to be working, we can all have good ideas but most of the time others think that their idea is best.
    To their credit I do think RIM is listening, just slow to respond. People said their browser sucked, so they bought torch mobile and now os7 phones have a great browser and playbook browser is best in class (also top html5 test scores). People complained that Torch 9800 had poor hardware and they release playbook with hardware still competitive today and 1.2 processors on the os7 devices. Then everyone complained that the playbook had no apps...so now they are aggressively working on that with android player and alex saunders. No email, we'll just go ahead and integrate all the social media stuff as well so that I don't have to log into facebook just because some of my friends prefer messaging on that service. And finally crappy marketing, what more can the CEO do than to admit that they have to do a much better job in this department and say that his FIRST priority is to hire a top notch CMO with tech and consumer expertise?

RIM might have had better sales if they marketed the playbook as a phone companion rather than a stand alone device because to be quite honest when it came out in April unless you had a blackberry smartphone the functionality of the tablet was limited to a portable web browser and music/movie player.
    I have to disagree again. My wife and I have had a playbook since launch with no smartphone and it gets used all day. With small children in the house it is great for streaming music, web browsing around the house, video chat with relatives, groovy notes and voice notes, shooting video's and pictures of the kids. When not looking after the kids the gaming and online TV capabilities are used non stop. Before we bought our second playbook I asked my wife if she wanted an ipad too and she said it was just too big to use with one hand which is important when you have small kids to deal with. At work I use my playbook to look up reference manuals, amuse myself at lunch and on the commute and make notes and keep myself organized. With WIFI and offline capability no phone is needed. If I was to spend the money on a cell plan I would probably get a 9810.

No I think their big mistake was not preparing he ecosystem better for launch and then not adjusting the price down sooner when they realized it wasn't selling.
    RedJam19 likes this.
    02-05-12 07:44 PM
    Truth is, for some people, nothing RIM does will ever be good enough. That said, RIM's two biggest mistakes have been;

1. Poor ecosystem - Apple has been successful because Steve Jobs had a "Get it done whatever the cost" attitude. RIM seems to have a "We'll worry about that part later" attitude.

2. Hiring the boneheads that currently occupy their marketing dept.

Of course this is all just my humble opinion.
    Last edited by justincase1911; 02-05-12 at 08:10 PM.
    02-05-12 08:08 PM
    RIM is already losing a huge amount of money on the PlayBook at its current price. To do anymore and they might as well just give them away. Those package type deals are always subsidized by carriers and no one is stepping up to subsidize RIM's products beyond the obvious phone deals.
    02-05-12 08:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD