so i was using my playbook today and suddenly it powered off. I was frustrated because i put it on charge but the playbook was not charging. i called technical support and they told me try a few different things.

Things asked to do to resolve the issue:

- plug in the charger for a minute than take it off, keep it off for 15 sec and do it again 6 times to see if the led light comes on and turns red

that didn't work so was asked to do the next thing

- hold on to the power, volume up and down button all at the same time until the led light turns red and the playbook turns on. (15 sec)
    Luckily this worked for me, but the next step was to re-install the operating system.

while talking to the rep he told me that this is a common issue they been having with the playbook.

so i hope this helps anyone who might be having the same issue. good luck....
    lpchouinard and yolare like this.
    11-30-11 04:49 PM
    It's a problem that hasn't appeared on this forum that I can recall.
    11-30-11 04:54 PM
    Was this a brand new unit or a refurbished one... and what GB is your playbook? And what kind of charger are you using?
    11-30-11 05:00 PM
    so i was using my playbook today and suddenly it powered off. I was frustrated because i put it on charge but the playbook was not charging. i called technical support and they told me try a few different things.

- plug in the charger for a minute than take it off, keep it off for 15 sec and do it again 6 times to see if the led light comes on and turns red

- hold on to the power, volume up and down button all at the same time until the led light turns red and the playbook turns on. (15 sec)
    Luckily this worked for me, but the next step was to re-install the operating system.

while talking to the rep he told me that this is a common issue they been having with the playbook.

Its possible that an entity stuck between worlds is trying to communicate through your playbook.

You can hold a seance to remove it
    11-30-11 05:05 PM
    16gb brand new that I bought on sale. I'm using the original charger that was in the box.
    11-30-11 05:09 PM
    16gb brand new that I bought on sale. I'm using the original charger that was in the box.
    You may want to get the Rapid Charger, as they will charge it at a higher wattage and also faster. I have one and it works a TON better than the charger that came with the unit.

Yes, the Rapid Charger is more expensive, but you can get a good deal on them just shopping around online and at local stores. Some stores had them on their clearance racks, but that was in store only.

It looks like this.... (just so you know what to look for... not a plug for Amazon)

http://www.amazon.com/RIM-Playbook-R...bUvbUpU6897015
    Last edited by jafobabe; 11-30-11 at 05:16 PM.
    11-30-11 05:13 PM
    You may want to get the Rapid Charger, as they will charge it at a higher wattage and also faster. I have one and it works a TON better than the charger that came with the unit.

Yes, the Rapid Charger is more expensive, but you can get a good deal on them just shopping around online and at local stores. Some stores had them on their clearance racks, but that was in store only.

No, its a spirit entity that is jealous that he plays with his playbook to often
    11-30-11 05:16 PM

No, its a spirit entity that is jealous that he plays with his playbook to often
    LOL you silly!
    11-30-11 05:19 PM
    @ Mrs. Gatz - your a funny character. hilarious comments.
    11-30-11 05:25 PM

That's crazy. This exact same thing happened to me LAST NIGHT! I have had this 32GB PlayBook since around June, I had exchanged my previous one due to a broken microphone. Anyway, the one RIM sent me was perfect, raised power button, never a single issue whatsoever (save for Slacker being weird after the last update), until last night.

I had charged it almost completely, then shut it off. About 30 minutes later, I powered it on, and it went through the boot up loop way too long. The "BlackBerry PlayBook" graphic with the colors in the background usually goes on for a minute, but this time it went on for over 5minutes--not normal at all.

So I did the hard reset, and then it was just the LED blinking 2 times, a long pause, then 2 times... etc. I tried the hard reset again, no luck. I called RIM, and got the same instructions as you did, but no luck. Then I was told to leave it on the charger for 3 hours, check to see if anything changed, then let it continue to charge for another 6 (!).

Overnight, nothing happened. Same 2 red blinks, pause etc. So I called RIM today, as they told me to if the PlayBook was still not working, and they walked me through the Desktop Manager Software Reload (way easier than for our BlackBerry phones).

After clicking "repair" and acknowledging that all my PlayBook data would BE LOST, the software was "repaired." My PlayBook began working again while connected to my MacBook, and thankfully ALL my data was still on my PlayBook (didn't need to Restore).

I asked why this happened (before, the weirdest thing my PlayBook did was battery drain overnight), and the customer service person said maybe I "somehow got bad software." Whatever that means. Today my PlayBook is fine, normal, back from the dead, but it definitely scared me into Backing Up my data on it more often..just in case..
    11-30-11 05:39 PM
    Why do you even bother to shut your PB off? The only time mine ever gets shut off is during a periodic restart. Also, why not try a simple one button restart first before a three button reboot?
    11-30-11 06:30 PM
    I have had it happen about twice since May. I do use the 3-button method.

Sometimes you can see that the screen is still backlit but gray - you need a darkened area. Even then, sometimes the power button will turn if off (no light) and back on (gray).
    11-30-11 07:25 PM

Always fun to have a 'Toon around to lighten the mood !

It must be the same entity that does this:

11-30-11 09:15 PM
    Always fun to have a 'Toon around to lighten the mood !

It must be the same entity that does this:

My little brother used to get in heaps of trouble when he got caught playing with his tiny lil playbook.

Wow that was 30 years ago
    Last edited by Mrs Gatz; 11-30-11 at 09:34 PM.
    11-30-11 09:31 PM

this post saved my PB.. I've had this pb few month after it launched
    today i leave it on charging when i back to my desk the light died and it cannot turned on at all... and it feel hot even on died condition
    i hold the power long time not solving anything..
    i though my PB already RIP...
    01-17-12 08:17 AM
    That's crazy. This exact same thing happened to me LAST NIGHT! I have had this 32GB PlayBook since around June, I had exchanged my previous one due to a broken microphone. Anyway, the one RIM sent me was perfect, raised power button, never a single issue whatsoever (save for Slacker being weird after the last update), until last night.

I had charged it almost completely, then shut it off. About 30 minutes later, I powered it on, and it went through the boot up loop way too long. The "BlackBerry PlayBook" graphic with the colors in the background usually goes on for a minute, but this time it went on for over 5minutes--not normal at all.

So I did the hard reset, and then it was just the LED blinking 2 times, a long pause, then 2 times... etc. I tried the hard reset again, no luck. I called RIM, and got the same instructions as you did, but no luck. Then I was told to leave it on the charger for 3 hours, check to see if anything changed, then let it continue to charge for another 6 (!).

Overnight, nothing happened. Same 2 red blinks, pause etc. So I called RIM today, as they told me to if the PlayBook was still not working, and they walked me through the Desktop Manager Software Reload (way easier than for our BlackBerry phones).

After clicking "repair" and acknowledging that all my PlayBook data would BE LOST, the software was "repaired." My PlayBook began working again while connected to my MacBook, and thankfully ALL my data was still on my PlayBook (didn't need to Restore).

I asked why this happened (before, the weirdest thing my PlayBook did was battery drain overnight), and the customer service person said maybe I "somehow got bad software." Whatever that means. Today my PlayBook is fine, normal, back from the dead, but it definitely scared me into Backing Up my data on it more often..just in case..

Did the battery completely deplete that it shut down?
    01-17-12 08:29 AM
    this post saved my PB.. I've had this pb few month after it launched
    today i leave it on charging when i back to my desk the light died and it cannot turned on at all... and it feel hot even on died condition
    i hold the power long time not solving anything..
    i though my PB already RIP...
    If you don't mind providing a little more information. Which method finally worked? That could help other people. Thanks.
    Last edited by F2; 01-17-12 at 11:30 AM.
    01-17-12 10:39 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD