I have a movie with .srt subtitles but when I put it in the same folder as my .mg4 movie (subtitle and movie have the same name) it somehow does not show any subtitles when I play it with the default movie player of the Playbook.

Does anyone have the same problem?
    04-20-11 05:52 PM
    No one try out movies with .srt subtitles yet?
    04-20-11 08:31 PM
    Any solutions?
    04-23-11 02:25 PM
    Subtitles using another file seems like one of those functions of a video player that developers don't usually add by default. I wouldn't be surprised if there was no support for this at the moment.

If you're set on using subtitles, I'm sure there is a piece of software that will write these subtitles into the movie for you...
    04-23-11 02:37 PM
    Subtitles using another file seems like one of those functions of a video player that developers don't usually add by default. I wouldn't be surprised if there was no support for this at the moment.

If you're set on using subtitles, I'm sure there is a piece of software that will write these subtitles into the movie for you...
    yes, Handbrake will do this.
    04-23-11 02:43 PM
    I'm bumping since I accidently found this one in appworld and here's what I posted in the app subforum:

Is is $1.99

MovieSrtPlayer for BlackBerry PlayBook

Their blurb:

"Features:
    - Change subtitles color
    - Change subtitles size
    - Change subtitles position
    - Swipe on top to show or hide the controls
    - More to come ..."

So, anyone willing to test this?
    05-26-11 06:31 PM
    I downloaded a movie from Filecrop in avi format. I accidently selected one with french subtitiles. The audio was english and both audio and subtitles played without a problem.
    05-26-11 06:43 PM
    hackerguy - the film probably had the subtitles actually "burned" into the film when it was produced.

But this apparently exploits the ability to simultaneously display a film without a subtitle with this "SRT" (text file with the subtitles in it). From a review it may not work with mp4 but selectively only AVI type videos which is how my divx dvd player at home works - avi+srt file can show subtitles, also Win's Media Player and Jetaudio will show the srt overlayed over the avi when showing.

Funny, appworld on my desktop does not show any reviews but it does on the pb!!
    05-26-11 08:36 PM
    Being a sucker for anything to do with video i just shelled out. I dropped a Korean avi file and matching srt file on my PB and it plays just fine! My only gripe is that if your videos are in subfolders it cant find them, the video has to be in the root folder. Other than that, its great. You can adjust the color, size and vertical position of the subs. This is going to kick for Asian cinema!
    05-26-11 08:49 PM
    Hey, great you tested it. So if you place both the avi and srt file in a subfolder under video it will not find the two files? Well, maybe the programmer can fix that.

Thanks for followimg up as I was curious but not that curious.
    05-26-11 10:41 PM
    Hey, great you tested it. So if you place both the avi and srt file in a subfolder under video it will not find the two files? Well, maybe the programmer can fix that.

Thanks for followimg up as I was curious but not that curious.
    Exactly. they have to be in the root Video folder, no sub folder. the player can see the subfolders, but it can't get inside of them. but except for that, the player works as advertised. if you watch subbed movies, this is well worth $2.

App world annoys me! I looked for this under categories, no luck. Glad to have it, tho.
    05-26-11 10:48 PM
    Don't buy it now. the supported video format is very limited. 7 avi in my PB, only 1 works.
    05-26-11 11:40 PM
    Exactly. they have to be in the root Video folder, no sub folder. the player can see the subfolders, but it can't get inside of them. but except for that, the player works as advertised. if you watch subbed movies, this is well worth $2.

App world annoys me! I looked for this under categories, no luck. Glad to have it, tho.
    I actually found it browsing appworld on my desktop. I entered the search "Playbook" and this was one of the initial apps displayed. So pure happenstance! Nothing I was looking for. Although, subtitle support had been mentioned and I did remember this thread which is why I found this thread and added to it. I do watch subtitled stuff on tv and the playbook might be large enough to have readable subs. Have you written to the programmer mentioning the subfolder issue?
    05-26-11 11:40 PM
    I have fed it a divx and an X264 based avi with mpeg auido, and an mp4 with mp4 audio and they all played just fine. You can adjust the font size and position of the subtitles, so you cam make them very readable. This SHOULD have showed up in the 'video' category of app world, but it does not.

I have emailed the developer about the subfolder issue. To the person who had a lot of avis that would not play: Can you tell us the codecs used? I do know it does not like the combination of x264 video with aac audio, i had to remux to mp3 audio. Ah, the joys of digital video!
    05-27-11 07:49 AM
    So are you saying that h.264 video in .mp4 and aac audio would not display the .srt subtitle even if the movie and the .srt file are in the root video folder?

Most of my movies are h.264 video and aac audio.
    mr_c likes this.
    06-01-11 10:15 AM
    So are you saying that h.264 video in .mp4 and aac audio would not display the .srt subtitle even if the movie and the .srt file are in the root video folder?

Most of my movies are h.264 video and aac audio.
    Not using the native PB player, no. It does not have this capability. The srt player app should work just fine, at least it does for me. only complaint is that your movies and subs have to be in the 'root' folder, not in subfolders. I emailed the developer and he claims he is going to fix this in a future update.
    06-01-11 10:20 AM
    Hey, at least you heard from the developer. I've written to two other developers about issues and never heard back. I think they might have taken advantage of the Rim offer of a free Playbook for developing an app and then headed off into the sunset!

I guess I should buy this program to support the developer although I don't watch that many files with subtitles and those on my big screen tv where my old eyes can read them! Although, maybe the pb is just he platform for 20th Century Boys.
    06-01-11 11:09 AM
    I have been in email contact with the developers for Bluebox and File Manager and the srt player. I don't watch a lot of subtitled stuff but every now and then i get on an Asian action film and anime kick. Also a lot of the Dr Who and Torchwood folks speak with heavy accents and so subs are nice. whats nice is that you can adjust the size of the subs!
    06-01-11 11:24 AM
    Okay, you "talked" me into it. I just purchased it - after a rigamarol of a process.
    06-01-11 12:12 PM
    Okay, you "talked" me into it. I just purchased it - after a rigamarol of a process.
    did you also have a hassle with App World and your credit card? I did. Had to purchase via Paypal. There are several threads on this, according to RIM it's a 'known' issue. One that's being going on for several months but they are no closer to a solution!
    06-01-11 12:21 PM
    The other day after discovering that the Paypal authorization is for $1,500. I ended it. But that meant I could not purchase at all. There seems no middle ground. I wanted a lesser authorization. So today, I was denied and had to log on with computer, go to Rim, go to paypal and reinit! Done.

Now I definitely have to copy a movie with subtitles to the playbook and watch. (g)
    06-01-11 12:26 PM
    I just bought the program and I now I cannot use this program because it says "Access to video dir denied!"

What do I do now? How can I go to the setting of this program to change its setting? Did I just wasted $1.99 ?

I tried to delete the program and reinstall it but it still does the same thing. It would not let me access any video files and keep saying "Access to video dir denied!" This is frustrating.

It is the version 1.2
    06-01-11 10:58 PM
    Well, it kind of works for me. What I'm seeing or rather not seeing are a series of videos that all play in the PB's Video app but do not show up in any the File Explorer apps and also do not show up in this SRT program. That is I just copied over two avi files and their associated srt files but they do not show in the list of videos. Only the 12 video files that show in the file manager apps show in this app.

Something is very strange about the playbook.

I'm in the process of physically copying them off the playbook using usb rather than wifi so see if that's what's wrong???? Otherwise I have no idea why come files show and others do not.
    06-01-11 11:58 PM
    Earthbrain:

I replied in the app thread but here it is again:

Yes, you change Permissions in the PB's Options/Security location. App Permissions is the first listing there.
    06-02-11 12:34 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD