So I bought a stylus yesterday. I picked the cheapest one, because I wanted to see if it was really a useful gadget before investing in quality.

There seems to be 4 types of styli (see attached image). The one I got is the first one, with a rather large rubber ball for a tip. Unfortunately, Future Shop didn't have any other type in store, so I couldn't test them.

The reasons I thought a stylus would be useful are :
    -Reducing marks on the screen
    -More precision when tapping links (for example, in my case, using my finger to close tabs in the stock browser, with the little x, can be infuriatingly frustrating at times...)
    -Eventually, using a stylus in combination with a good note taking app, to hand-write.

So far, I like the idea, but I am rather dissatisfied with the object.
    -The screen doesn't always respond to the stylus, whether when swiping, clicking links or writing. For example, if I swipe up or down, in maybe 1/4 of the times the screen won't respond at all. Same if I jot something down: Some marks and letters won't register.

So I was wondering if that is due to the type of tips, or the quality of the stylus I bought. Would one with an actual ball-point be more precise and responsive ? (For example the 3rd type in the attached image.)

What is your experience ?
    Thanks.
    Last edited by angkorbeer; 10-02-12 at 10:15 PM.
    10-02-12 12:22 PM
    I find a large nail works well, only if you have a screen protector on!!
    Delmeister likes this.
    10-02-12 12:39 PM
    Apparently the fine tip types won't work on the PB's.
    10-02-12 12:42 PM
    Honestly, im a fan of using a stylus and tested many on both my iPad and PlayBook. The stylus doesnt really matter, it's really boils down to the quality of the app. Some apps render better than others, even on the same platform.

The feel of it in your hands is what really matters.

Sent from Bold 9930 #blackberrybychoice
    10-02-12 01:11 PM
    Do you know about the Micro-Knit stylus???

Amazon.com: New Trent Limir Stylus/Styli Touch Screen Cell phone Tablet Pen Champa Dual-Purpose with Micro-Knit Technology Capacitive Stylus and Fine Ball Pen: Cell Phones & Accessories

I love this type of stylus, it is exceptional for game play as it does not grab or drag on the screen.

It works very well with all games but here are a few games that give you an advantage when using this type of stylus.
    Pop Corny
    Death Worm
    Stunt Pear
    Air Attack in touch mode
    Ninja Popcorn
    Fruit slash
    Stick tennis
    Space worm
    Tiny bird
    Space tap

In my experiance ........ If you have a buildup of oil from your hands on the stylus tip or screen the stylus may lose some of its sensitivity
    10-02-12 01:20 PM
    Here's my 2 bits.
    I bought the cheapest targus I could find I think it was like 8 usd @ radio shack with the ball tip I love it use it on both my tabs and on my gf's zte warp cant see not using one now.
    10-02-12 01:31 PM
    @lc412.
    Although totally off topic I'm loving the lean you got going.
    10-02-12 01:39 PM
    Do you know about the Micro-Knit stylus???

I love this type of stylus, it is exceptional for game play as it does not grab or drag on the screen.

In my experiance ........ If you have a buildup of oil from your hands on the stylus tip or screen the stylus may lose some of its sensitivity
    That is the very stylus I was going to recommend, I use one with my nexus 7 and my other half then got one for her ipad - fantastic bit of kit for the money.
    10-02-12 01:41 PM
    I bought one with the rubber tip end like the one in post #5.

It only works now and again when you try to ram it through the screen.

Is there one with a fine point that will work?
    10-02-12 01:44 PM
    I use Dagi Accu-Pen P504. Purchased it on Amazon. I like the finer point, plus it feels like an actual pen when writing.
    10-02-12 01:58 PM
    @lc412.
    Although totally off topic I'm loving the lean you got going.
    Thanks. That's my old lowrider. I miss her
    10-02-12 02:49 PM
    I use Dagi Accu-Pen P504. Purchased it on Amazon. I like the finer point, plus it feels like an actual pen when writing.
    Interesting. Do you have to apply a lot of pressure to get it to respond?
    10-02-12 02:54 PM
    Hi angkorbeer. I know what you mean by the dilemma of choosing the right stylus. I remember trying all the available ones at Futureshop to no avail. I actually dislike the rubber tipped ones as they are not very accurate and require substantial amount of pressure that is not user friendly. My personal favourite is Jot Pro by Adonit. It is the third stylus from the left in your picture. It is the most accurate I have found and is resonably easy to write and annotate documents, like PDFs, with on the PlayBook. Hope this helps.
    10-02-12 06:39 PM
    Rockfish.I have
    10-02-12 06:56 PM
    Shoulda bought a Jot Pro. Instead I got a Bamboo. I have to poke through the screen to get it to work.
    10-02-12 08:46 PM
    Thanks everybody for all the insights. (I didn't expect so many!)

Hi angkorbeer. I know what you mean by the dilemma of choosing the right stylus. I remember trying all the available ones at Futureshop to no avail. I actually dislike the rubber tipped ones as they are not very accurate and require substantial amount of pressure that is not user friendly. My personal favourite is Jot Pro by Adonit. It is the third stylus from the left in your picture. It is the most accurate I have found and is resonably easy to write and annotate documents, like PDFs, with on the PlayBook. Hope this helps.
    Yes, I had an interest in that particular one. That or the the Dagi p504, which Jamesuc mentioned (they both use the same point, or so it seems from the pictures).

Indeed, my beefs with the rubber ball stylus I got are lack of precision and having to apply pressure; though in my case, sometimes a light swipe will do, sometimes it seems I have to crush and flatten the rubber ball against the screen... In any case, it's inconsistent, and I sure wouldn't sit down to take notes on the fly with it for that reason.

Anyways, thanks for the review. I'll try to see if I can find a store that has either model as a demo.

Kretch,

Wouldn't a pointed stylus like that scratch the screen ?...

And as for finger grease on the tip, my stylus acted like that right out of the box.
    10-02-12 09:26 PM
    I've got a noname stylus ,three for $4 , which I use for tapping particularly when typing. Can also be used for scrolling but the finger is better. The styluses used for writing or drawing would probably not be very good for tapping and might be easily damaged. So you need more than one. But since there have been previous threads on this topic you probably know that and have seen the comments and even test results.
    10-02-12 09:41 PM
    I've got a noname stylus ,three for $4 , which I use for tapping particularly when typing. Can also be used for scrolling but the finger is better. The styluses used for writing or drawing would probably not be very good for tapping and might be easily damaged. So you need more than one. But since there have been previous threads on this topic you probably know that and have seen the comments and even test results.
    I did go through a few threads before starting this one. But I can't say that I saw tests...
    Last edited by angkorbeer; 10-02-12 at 10:42 PM.
    10-02-12 10:08 PM

Yes, I had an interest in that particular one. That or the the Dagi p504, which Jamesuc mentioned (they both use the same point, or so it seems from the pictures).

Indeed, my beefs with the rubber ball stylus I got are lack of precision and having to apply pressure; though in my case, sometimes a light swipe will do, sometimes it seems I have to crush and flatten the rubber ball against the screen... In any case, it's inconsistent, and I sure wouldn't sit down to take notes on the fly with it for that reason.

Anyways, thanks for the review. I'll try to see if I can find a store that has either model as a demo.

Kretch,

And as for finger grease on the tip, my stylus acted like that right out of the box.
    The pointed end is an actual ball point ink pen
    10-02-12 10:25 PM
    The pointed end is an actual ball point ink pen
    I was just reading reviews on Amazon for the Micro-Knit stylus and figured that much. I was coming back here to edit the post...

I'm not a big gamer on the PB (more of a pc gamer). The Micro-Knit seems to perform especially well for lightness and non-adherence: I can see how that would be perfect for gaming.

Thanks for the review. I hadn't encountered that kind.
    Last edited by angkorbeer; 10-02-12 at 10:44 PM.
    10-02-12 10:40 PM
    This might be a link to a video:

10-03-12 12:41 AM

Kretch,

I think you maybe talking about the retractable pen, the stylus is on the other side.

10-03-12 10:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD