I'm so incredibly sad now...everything with my Playbook was great. I've only had it about a week and had it plugged in and was watching YouTube in bed, on the fullscreen mode the screen was black and I noticed a literal "constellation" of bright pixels all near the top of my screen, my heart sank. I honestly am pretty tolerant of minor things, one, two, or even three little spots and I'd have ignored it and went on with life..but there is 50+ I lost count when trying to count them all...it looks like the milky way. I sent RIM a support email and am waiting back, but I'm so sad I'm gonna be without my playbook for awhile I suspect
    02-29-12 03:14 PM
    Sorry to hear, why not take it back to the store where you purchased the PlayBook?
    02-29-12 03:19 PM
    I think we all know it would feels like when you have an issue like that.
    Nothing you can do about it. Just contact RIM customers support or the store where you,
    have bought from. Get it repaired, miss the PlayBook for a while but all would be fine after.
    02-29-12 03:22 PM
    I feel your pain... I have one waiting to go back... Will not lauch apps that want the internet... they just close.... Luckily I have never seen a unit with pixaltion issues and lucky for me as it drives me crazy....
    02-29-12 04:22 PM
    What causes pixels to just die all of a sudden?
    02-29-12 04:55 PM
    One of the more prevelant theories to the loss of pixels in a CCD device is hull ionzation in aircraft. This especially comes into play the closer the aircraft flies to either pole of the Earth. Newer CMOS imaging technology reduces pixel degredation; however, CMOS is not utilized heavily in consumer electronics because of the high cost.
    02-29-12 06:36 PM
    I had a dead pixel when I got my 32 gig playbook . Exchanged it at the store I got it. I haven't had an issue yet with the new one. Blackberry will warranty these defects
    02-29-12 07:21 PM
    I am more confused now than before your answer lol
    02-29-12 07:29 PM
    I am more confused now than before your answer lol
    Not sure if you would have an idea reading it lol.

Ionization - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    02-29-12 07:33 PM
    It's the primary theory behind dead pixels since the early 90's. Sorry if it wasn't clear.
    02-29-12 08:35 PM
    Just to clarify mine are stuck, various color dots on a black background. No black spots on white. I tried those stuck pixel fixing thing, with much skepticism and it didn't do nothing as I figured. Thinking I'll go back to Staples and get a new one, I'm going to be slightly embarrassed for being nit picky but seriously, now that I've noticed I can't take my eyes off them..damn pixels. *shakes fist*
    Spencerdl and Denus like this.
    02-29-12 08:42 PM
    I wouldn't call it nitpicky. It's an obvious defect. They certainly won't get any better.
    02-29-12 08:45 PM
    Why would you feel embarassed? If you don't like the stuck/dead pixels just go back for an exchange.
    Some may consider you nit picky but who are they to judge you. Go for it.
    Hahah would you want to stare to the stuck/dead pixels forever? No don't think so!
    02-29-12 08:49 PM
    Just to clarify mine are stuck, various color dots on a black background. No black spots on white. I tried those stuck pixel fixing thing, with much skepticism and it didn't do nothing as I figured. Thinking I'll go back to Staples and get a new one, I'm going to be slightly embarrassed for being nit picky but seriously, now that I've noticed I can't take my eyes off them..damn pixels. *shakes fist*
    Sounds like a plan.....a GOOD one, dealing with RIM customer service should be avoided at all costs
    02-29-12 08:53 PM
    Would staples let me start it up to test? It might be hard to do since it'll need to go through set up and upgrade...so just get a new one and bring it back if I have troubles again? Anyone know or deal with Staples in terms of exchanges? Thank you all for your replies and sympathy haha.
    02-29-12 08:57 PM
    What does a dead pixel even look like?? Is it really obvious?
    02-29-12 09:07 PM
    Dead pixel will look black on a white background. Stuck pixels will be white, red, blue, or green on a black background. Download Display Test for free from app world. Turn up your brightness and turn off automatic backlight dimming and look. One or two I wouldn't worry about, but if it looks like the milky way, it sucks!!! Also a warning: once you go looking and you find some, you'll forever notice and worry about it, haha.
    02-29-12 09:27 PM
    A friend of mine who has an iPad says the iPad's are notorious for dead/stuck pixels, and recommended this video to help with that issue.........

[YT]youtube.com/watch?v=F23aHQ2oYQs[/YT]
    02-29-12 09:50 PM
    Dead pixels are quite prevalent among Playbooks. I have a theory of my own about why this may be the case. We know that most manufacturers may have defective components (e.g. the Galaxy Tab oil slick problem), but if there is an unusually high defect rate, the defect gets corrected in the process of manufacturing new units. But with the Playbook, we only probably had one huge shipment or a few big batches. However, RIM didn't have a chance to correct the problem simply because they couldn't even sell the first batches and did not produce any more PBs (possibly until recently).

As for the OP's problem, if you are still within the exchange period, return/exchange your Playbook. Going the RMA route does not guarantee that you'll get a Playbook that's without problems. There have been quite a few reports that the replacement Playbooks also had dead pixels, with one person reporting getting 5 or 6 defective Playbooks in a row from RIM warranty.

There is also a poll here that shows that almost 30% Crackberrians have dead/stuck pixels on their Playbooks.

Also note that it is impossible to fix/revive a DEAD pixels. There is a very small chance that a stuck pixel can go away.
    Last edited by kennyliu; 03-01-12 at 10:14 PM.
    02-29-12 10:27 PM
    I'd also consider returning it to the shop.

You will get faster response from rim

Rim Support
    Tel:
    Canada Toll Free: 1-877-644-8405
    United States Toll Free: 1-877-644-8410
    Puerto Rico Toll Free: 1-855-651-4936
    Email: [email protected]
    (UK Support) 0800 096 2805
    02-29-12 11:05 PM
    Another quick question! If I back up this PB and get it exchanged, can I just restore my new one and have everything exactly as it is on my current PB? Like the side loaded apps, my folders, wallpaper, and all the settings I've tweaked? Or would you recommend starting fresh and re-doing everything manually? Thanks in advance!!!
    02-29-12 11:30 PM
    UGH!!!!!!!! I went and got a new playbook, and AGAIN, THIS TIME WORSE..stuck pixels everywhere, I don't understand how this is even remotely acceptable, I give up, and I'm gonna suffer from here on out with them. -_-
    03-01-12 08:52 PM
    UGH!!!!!!!! I went and got a new playbook, and AGAIN, THIS TIME WORSE..stuck pixels everywhere, I don't understand how this is even remotely acceptable, I give up, and I'm gonna suffer from here on out with them. -_-
    No, don't give up.. Just keep doing till you get a good one.
    It's for your own sake princepia keep hwaiting!
    03-01-12 08:57 PM
    No need to be embarrassed man... you're spending your money and you deserve to have the best for your money.
    Princepia likes this.
    03-01-12 09:06 PM
    Dead pixel will look black on a white background. Stuck pixels will be white, red, blue, or green on a black background. Download Display Test for free from app world. Turn up your brightness and turn off automatic backlight dimming and look. One or two I wouldn't worry about, but if it looks like the milky way, it sucks!!! Also a warning: once you go looking and you find some, you'll forever notice and worry about it, haha.
    How big is each pixel, say compared to this: .

I guess I don't have any?
    03-01-12 09:08 PM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD