I received a 'new' (ie likely refurb'd) Playbook 32G late last week from RIM support, following an RMA on my old one for disintegrating trim. All seems perfect however there's one stuck green pixel close to the screen's centre.

Using the screen exerciser video on Youtube hasn't resolved the issue so I'm contemplating whether to make another call to support or living with it.

One weird point though: if I look at a website, for instance, with a black background I can see the pixel clearly. If I zoom in at all, however, it disappears. I thought stuck pixels were a hardware problem..? Anyone have an explanation for this kind of behaviour?

And what is RIM's policy on stuck pixels: do one or two fall within the norm, or are these "class 1" screens (yes I read the wikipedia entry) such that there's zero tolerance? I ask because I don't want to be unreasonable. If we're expected to live with a few stuck pixels then I won't complain. RIM support has been very responsive but frankly I'm tired of going back to them.

Dave
    09-04-12 08:00 AM
    A stuck pixel is indeed a hardware problem. To verify, take a screen shot and see if it's in the picture.
    09-04-12 08:04 AM
    Hi Chaddface -- thanks for the suggestion.

I took a couple of screenshots and the pixel doesn't appear in the pictures. At the same time, though, the pixel's colour seems to moderate depending on how close it is to other colours. If it's close to an icon on the home screen it's very bright green-white, but if I slide the screen so the pixel is in an empty field against the background it seems to get closer to the dominant colour in the image.

So it seems to be doing something, just not what it's supposed to do.

Dave
    09-04-12 08:19 AM
    I would send it back if I were you. They will probably ask you to send some pictures of the defect. Maybe you could convince RIM to do an advanced exchange for your trouble. That way you could check the new one before sending yours back.
    09-04-12 08:35 AM
    Sounds like the green subpixel is stuck but the red and blue are functioning somewhat. Seems a bit strange, but definitely a hardware problem.
    09-04-12 08:42 AM
    As I wrote where you first mentioned this, you can try the Screen Test app which is free. There are others including another free version of a more full-featured app.
    09-04-12 11:27 AM
    Hi F2 -- I did download and run "Display Test" and "Screen Tester." Are these what you had in mind? Both provide full-screen monocolour slides to help identify misbehaving pixels but no diagnostics or repair processes that I can see.

Interestingly both apps show that this pixel displays a different colour depending on what background it's against (or I suppose what colour it's being asked to show). On yellow it's red; on green it's black; on blue it's light blue, on pink it's white. On red, light blue, pure white or pure black I can't see it so maybe it's functioning properly. Weird.

Dave
    09-04-12 02:50 PM
    Hi F2 -- I did download and run "Display Test" and "Screen Tester." Are these what you had in mind? Both provide full-screen monocolour slides to help identify misbehaving pixels but no diagnostics or repair processes that I can see.

Interestingly both apps show that this pixel displays a different colour depending on what background it's against (or I suppose what colour it's being asked to show). On yellow it's red; on green it's black; on blue it's light blue, on pink it's white. On red, light blue, pure white or pure black I can't see it so maybe it's functioning properly. Weird.

Dave
    Someone who knows how lcd's mix the colors to create the shown color might chime in. If it is glaring out at you, shouting "look at my bad color DOT" then you might return it. If you can fade it into the background.........
    09-04-12 04:28 PM
    You could try screen helper lite, that has a fix screen option but it does say it can take hours and the lite free version only runs for a minute.

As it is coloured its a stuck pixel rather than dead but as F2 says if these programs don't help rim support will have to try some other things, maybe even a wipe and reload to try and fix.

One other thing, have you tried a reboot?
    01-06-13 03:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD