I am a BB Torch user, and just bought a playbook (love it) but I am struggling with 2 things.
    Small difficulty, but not the end of the world: with the email, can I set it so that when I delete the mail from the playbook it leaves it on the server (BB Torch gives me the option to delete off the device only or off the server)

And the big difficulty: I understand that I cannot (at the moment) sync my outlook calendar with the playbook and so I have set up a Gmail calendar and synced outlook to that.

I cannot figure out how to sync my playbook to Gmail calendar. Am I trying to do something that cannot be done ?

Any pointers would be appreciated.
    04-05-13 05:35 AM
    I am a BB Torch user, and just bought a playbook (love it) but I am struggling with 2 things.
    Small difficulty, but not the end of the world: with the email, can I set it so that when I delete the mail from the playbook it leaves it on the server (BB Torch gives me the option to delete off the device only or off the server)

And the big difficulty: I understand that I cannot (at the moment) sync my outlook calendar with the playbook and so I have set up a Gmail calendar and synced outlook to that.

I cannot figure out how to sync my playbook to Gmail calendar. Am I trying to do something that cannot be done ?

Any pointers would be appreciated.
    I have outlook on my pc and laptops. Microsoft changed hotmail recently to outlook.com and so if you set up an outlook.com account online (free) you can sync your calendar, contacts, mail and notes between your torch, pb, pc etc etc etc.

No need to look for a setting to leave mail on the server as pb does that automatically. It just marks them as 'read' so you don't get them again but they will remain on the server until you delete them from there.
    04-05-13 07:43 AM
    Thank you for that info. I have set up outlook.com but am a bit confused with it. I do not use Hotmail - only my domain pop email.
    I will persevere with it for a while.

I downloaded an email on my BP and then deleted it - when I when to download it in Outlook on my PC it was gone from the server, so I am assuming that if I delete from my BP email, then it is gone from the server also. (can't find ant setting on the tablet to just delete from tablet)
    04-05-13 08:26 AM
    The BlackBerry Bridge is the only way to delete you emails off mailbox and handheld device at the same time. Deleting emails from your PlayBook will not remove then on your handheld. You can also sync you gmail and hotmail on your handheld and use the calendar through the Bridge on the PlayBook.
    04-05-13 08:28 AM
    I am on a Mac, so can't do it, but if you are on a PC, Microsoft makes an Outlook connector application to sync a desktop version of outlook to the Outlook.com calendar. You then just need to setup the Outlook.com email on your PlayBook to get two way sync. It will not sync calendars to your phone, that you will have to do with desktop manager, as I suppose you did in the past. On the new OS10 phones, Outlook.com will work just like on your playbook. There is a thread on CrackBerry showing how to setup the new Outlook connector. It is in the PlayBook forum or OS10 forum.

In regards to the Outlook.com email, once it is setup think of it as all your devices sharing the same email inbox. If you delete on one device, it will delete on all devices, almost instantly.

edit:

Here is the Microsoft Outlook Connector that you will need.
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ou...010222518.aspx
    04-05-13 08:53 AM
    Thank you for that info. I have set up outlook.com but am a bit confused with it. I do not use Hotmail - only my domain pop email.
    I will persevere with it for a while.

I downloaded an email on my BP and then deleted it - when I when to download it in Outlook on my PC it was gone from the server, so I am assuming that if I delete from my BP email, then it is gone from the server also. (can't find ant setting on the tablet to just delete from tablet)
    They have not been deleted off the server, they have only been marked as 'read', therefore when you access the account from any other device you will not get the mail because the server is only programmed to forward unread mail. It doesn't forward mail that has already been read because that would cause chaos. Log into your outlook.com account via your browser and you'll find the mail still there.
    04-05-13 09:31 AM
    Thanks again for the help - I think I have been barking up the wrong tree !

The only reason I use Outlook 2013 on my PC is for my POP3 email account (my own domain) and calendar/contacts. I do not use Hotmail, or Gmail. (never liked webmail)

I have just set up the outlook sync in 2013 and all it did was add another account so I got duplicated emails in Outlook on my PC.

Before I had my BP I used BB phones to collect my pop3 email. On the phones, I could choose to delete them from the handheld and mailbox or just the handheld. Any email I wanted to access on my PC (through MS Outlook) I just deleted off the handheld. Any emails that I did not want at all I choose delete off handheld and mailbox. - this deleted the from my pop server as well.

I do not want to set up Outlook.com account just to access my Outlook Calendar. I will probably wait until there is a better option in the future. Pity though, I was looking forward to syncing my PC outlook with the PB as I do with my BB torch.

Thanks everyone for the help, but it seems if Outlook.com is the only option I will just use my BP for Angry Birds ! (not really, lol)

Anne
    04-05-13 10:07 AM
    Thanks again for the help - I think I have been barking up the wrong tree !

The only reason I use Outlook 2013 on my PC is for my POP3 email account (my own domain) and calendar/contacts. I do not use Hotmail, or Gmail. (never liked webmail)

I have just set up the outlook sync in 2013 and all it did was add another account so I got duplicated emails in Outlook on my PC.

Before I had my BP I used BB phones to collect my pop3 email. On the phones, I could choose to delete them from the handheld and mailbox or just the handheld. Any email I wanted to access on my PC (through MS Outlook) I just deleted off the handheld. Any emails that I did not want at all I choose delete off handheld and mailbox. - this deleted the from my pop server as well.

I do not want to set up Outlook.com account just to access my Outlook Calendar. I will probably wait until there is a better option in the future. Pity though, I was looking forward to syncing my PC outlook with the PB as I do with my BB torch.

Thanks everyone for the help, but it seems if Outlook.com is the only option I will just use my BP for Angry Birds ! (not really, lol)

Anne
    To be honest, angry birds is far better on the ipad or Android tabs but thanks for dropping by.

Mmmmmmmm obviously not a brandy drinker?
    04-05-13 10:11 AM
    The reason you don't have that option on your pb but do on your phones is the phones emails are through bis which gives you the option playbook doesn't go through bis. There is a setting in playbook where you can choose your default calander it will only sync your default if I'm not mistaken. I believe that setting is under accounts
    04-05-13 10:18 AM
    Thanks for that info - makes sense.
    I can use Bridge as a compromise but this just means my phone needs nearby.

Oh well - still glad I got the BP
    04-05-13 10:34 AM
    The reason you don't have that option on your pb but do on your phones is the phones emails are through bis which gives you the option playbook doesn't go through bis. There is a setting in playbook where you can choose your default calander it will only sync your default if I'm not mistaken. I believe that setting is under accounts
    Oh blessed be the Lord, for I have seen the light brother's. The Lord sayeth the light shall shine upon the righteous and I have seen the light. Blessed be the Lord.

Here endeth the first lesson!
    04-05-13 11:34 AM
    If you just want the emails and not the calendar, just setup your pop3 email on the Playbook and it will work like it works on your PC. Just make sure you set it to leave mail on server, so your PC can fetch it as well.

You only need a cloud based solution if you need your contacts and calendars on the Playbook. If you just need your email, set it up your existing email on the PlayBook.
    04-05-13 01:15 PM