Is it possible to strip the OS of useless things like the youtube app, podcasts, video store, and bing maps? I know I stripped all of the unnecessary items on my Bold, but don't see that option when syncing the PB. Anyone have some insight to this?
    08-24-12 12:32 AM
    You can goto the App world > List of installed applications and uninstall all the ones that you don't need. Some applications are Native so you wont get the uninstall or delete option.

I remember reading threads on how to get some applications.. I don't know about getting rid of them..

Frankly, they hardly utilize any space..
    08-24-12 12:46 AM
    Yup, app world, or just hold your finger on the icon until the X appears. Tap it and select yes. But what you are referring to is not possible. Completely different operating system. Maybe some day we will get a bbsak/bbh-plus type app for slimming down our QNX devices. Maybe ;p
    08-24-12 09:09 AM
    Yes it is possible (NOT as mentioned above !!! )

Get a copy of the full OS
    Remove the apps you dont want
    Install with Dingleberry 3.3.3
    08-24-12 10:30 AM
    Yes it is possible (NOT as mentioned above !!! )

Get a copy of the full OS
    Remove the apps you dont want
    Install with Dingleberry 3.3.3
    Wait. How do you go about this?

I have a image of the OS here but it is one huge chunck of bar (for example, qcfm.image.com.qnx.coreos.qcfm.os.factory_sfi.desk top.GR2_X_X.560.229027.signed.bar), no individual apps to remove...
    08-24-12 11:10 AM
    Maybe get OS from another country which does not support anything.. Dont come back asking how to hide the update notification..
    08-24-12 11:22 AM
    Use Blackberry Swiss Army Knife : BlackBerry Swiss Army Knife
    08-24-12 11:26 AM
    I use 7zip(its free) to see if the bar files have lib files(don't work when sideloaded).

Maybe it solves ur prob

Sent from a old but beautiful BB 8520 or a new and shinny PB 2.0
    08-24-12 11:37 AM
    Use Blackberry Swiss Army Knife : BlackBerry Swiss Army Knife
    He's talking about the PB. BBAK only works for phones.
    08-24-12 11:49 AM
    He's talking about the PB. BBAK only works for phones.
    Sorry about that. Disregard my post.
    08-24-12 11:55 AM
    Hey you know Microsoft pays some money to have that Bing up there.. This wouldn't be much of a BlackBerry device if they just let you do anything you wanted to with the system.. So once again something you can do with Android and ios but not with BlackBerry.. Just in a different light..

I got nfs and tetris as built in with the os and every reinstall had you download both the games..
    08-24-12 12:04 PM
    Wait. How do you go about this?

I have a image of the OS here but it is one huge chunck of bar (for example, qcfm.image.com.qnx.coreos.qcfm.os.factory_sfi.desk top.GR2_X_X.560.229027.signed.bar), no individual apps to remove...
    Youve got a debrick file. Search for the full os. It contains all the .bars . I have done it before with previous OSes
    08-24-12 12:06 PM
    I think the current files are encrypted only because DM didn't have the encryption option before or something..
    08-24-12 12:13 PM
    I think the current files are encrypted only because DM didn't have the encryption option before or something..
    That are the back-up files. Not the OS files.
    08-24-12 01:20 PM
    Youve got a debrick file. Search for the full os. It contains all the .bars . I have done it before with previous OSes
    Oh, the idea of not having BING just made me love my PlayBook so much more... I wonder where I can find the full OS for .860...
    08-24-12 04:23 PM
    xsasha has made a tool: sashup-firmware grabber (Rooting subforum)

to download the OS file. Check it out !
    08-24-12 04:38 PM
    xsasha has made a tool: sashup-firmware grabber (Rooting subforum)

to download the OS file. Check it out !
    Already playing with it hehe

EDIT: Yeah, only working for the DevAlpha right now...
    Last edited by diegonei; 08-24-12 at 05:05 PM.
    08-24-12 04:51 PM
    That are the back-up files. Not the OS files.
    Ah right! thanks for that.. Well atleast the backups and our data are secured! FOR NOW

Maybe you can help the OP here.. What are the kind of things you can strip of the OS? Does it really have any benefits or what's the reason for Firmware grab and stuff?
    08-25-12 01:52 AM
    Ah right! thanks for that.. Well atleast the backups and our data are secured! FOR NOW

Maybe you can help the OP here.. What are the kind of things you can strip of the OS? Does it really have any benefits or what's the reason for Firmware grab and stuff?
    Well you can get rid of stuff you never use and by doing so, free space for things you do use. If you have a full OS file, you can take any bits of it you want, just delete the bar from the file and it won't load.

In my particular case, Bing never works. It loads up but the screen remains blank and then the browser pops with the map. It was bad when it was working, now it is just simply worthless.
    08-25-12 11:28 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD