01-24-12 10:33 PM
36 12
tools
    Yeah I was actually about to go that route but I finally decided not to bother with it at all. If I want stuff on my PB from my PC when I'm at home I'll just Run Command the PB IP address and do it wirelessly so I don't have to install a PB app plus a desktop app. I'm a minimalist
    andrewmcwhirter likes this.
    12-24-11 09:37 AM
    I'm currently looking for an app-free way to do this by using my win7 as a sort of ftp server that I can access the files on my desktop PC using an IP address in my playbook's browser to open , download, or stream them from there.
    Web server, check my post above, works amazing on my Mac and I'm sure its almost or just as easy on Windows as well. what version of Windows r u running. I can figure it out for you and post instructions if you like, kids with the other family so I am free most of the day. lol.
    12-24-11 12:27 PM
    Yeah I was actually about to go that route but I finally decided not to bother with it at all. If I want stuff on my PB from my PC when I'm at home I'll just Run Command the PB IP address and do it wirelessly so I don't have to install a PB app plus a desktop app. I'm a minimalist
    Yeah, but who wants to wait for few minutes even to start playing back the movies? It's OK if you're doing this occasionally, but hardly practical for anyone looking for streaming solution.

The simplest solution would be to have Samba client on PB. There's no technical difficulties to this, RIM won't allow this for business reasons (probably will not be able to sell 32GB/64GB devices if they do this).
    12-24-11 01:01 PM
    Web server, check my post above, works amazing on my Mac and I'm sure its almost or just as easy on Windows as well. what version of Windows r u running. I can figure it out for you and post instructions if you like, kids with the other family so I am free most of the day. lol.
    sure, I might change my mind down teh road, windows 7, thanks
    12-24-11 04:07 PM
    If you are going to set up a web server for PC it's easier to just use Orb server and the Orb app on PB.
    I would like to see a Samba client. It would be easy enough to disable it for business use, although I don't know why you would if your network is secure.
    12-25-11 07:19 AM
    es file explorer is an android app.... you can find a link at playbookbars.com .... the files here allow you to sideload android apps on your pb from your pc/laptop and you dont need to root your pb for these to work as long as you have os2 beta. ive found that not using an android launcher android apps side loaded open in the native android player seamlessley ... just the same as launching any app fro. your pb desktop. ok without root you cant access market place but there are some good apps at tbe url above and you just have to wait for more to come....rome wasnt built in a day!! i have no problems streaming audio or video from es plays perfectly fine from my w7 over wifi..... i do however find that if i copy media to my pb i then cant playback tbe same files that i can stream... either from android or pb own media players.... infact although files show in air browser after copying ... they dont show in media libraries on pb ? anyone any ideas? possibly permissions? ... i'm ooen to suggestions. ps.... the pb is the best 170 pounds ive ever spent.... it rocks.... especially if you are inclined to explore and unlock its capabilities! and with the amount of interest and devs interested too..... it can only get better!
    toffeenose likes this.
    01-13-12 04:07 PM
    Are you copying them and including the extension? eg .mp4 etc.
    xindy likes this.
    01-13-12 04:34 PM
    Act1 Video Player CAN stream video for the playbook. Tried others but failed (V Player, MX VideoPlayer, Moboplayer).

Using ES File Explorer, I can browse my home network server and stream video. Act1 is NOT guaranteed to play all videos. Some of my AVI files couldn't load while others could. It doesn't load FLV files. Had no trouble loading my limited selection of MP4 files.

When IceStream was fully operation (prior to MU takedown), I could stream some (not all) of the videos posted using Act1.

These bar files should work.
    01-23-12 03:35 PM
    The Playbook has everything you need to stream HTML5 video built in, plus a secret bonus, every codec the playbook knows, is exposed, that's right, right in the the web browser for the world to see, all via the HTML5 video and audio tags (I just use the video tag for everything though).

That means, as long as the mime type is set correctly, and you have a webserver that supports http streaming (Apache anyone, well microapache), you've got a streaming server.

The HTML5 support makes this so dang easy even I've built a streaming server, and until New Years Day, I hadn't touched a compiler or programming editor in 10 years.

I've assembled a simple media server 4 the Playbook that is under 2.2 megs installed, uses like 22 megs of RAM, runs (preferably) in user space on LIMITED user, and is just MicroApache, PHP and HTML5.
    (ok ok ok, I'll probably have to add some ecmascript to add m3u playlist support )

It works really well for my 68 year old Mom, Tversity and the rest of that crud was too weird for her to figure out (ok, she does get lost with the WD LiveTVplus sometimes too) and it sucked.

See this thread for more details.

Thanks,

Paul.
    01-24-12 05:29 PM
    Oh, anyone having trouble streaming an .AVI that plays in local storage, it's not the codecs or bit rate, I'll bet dollars to donuts that the avi was made with a cruddy muxer.

Many community derived .AVI muxers (nandub) use too large an interleave, ending up with large chunks of data that need to be moved about. That's acceptable, maybe even good for local playback (move a whole stream block with a single DMA transfer), but when streamed over a network, these files stutter, stop, restart and fail all very inconsistently.

Find that old, crufty standard, VirtualDub or VirtualDubMod and repack that AVI DON'T reencode, just copy the streams into a new proper, AVI container.

Nothing I've seen really beats VirtualDub for making .AVI files that will work on just about everything.
    01-24-12 05:42 PM
    On my Android tablet (Acer A100), I use ES File Explorer and Astro file manager (both free on the Android Market) to effortlessly view any file on my home network set up for sharing. They open and play quickly over wifi on my tablet. Not having this easy functionality on the PB is just disgusting.

Hopefully OS2 will allow us to use ES File Explorer and Astro on the PB, and that they will retain functionality. Of course, we'll also be dependent on getting a more versatile video player from the Android Market as well, not a crippled one as on the PB. Fingers crossed ...
    Last edited by Michel Souris; 01-24-12 at 10:35 PM.
    01-24-12 10:33 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD