Apologies if this is something I should know.

A radio station that I have got used to listening to has brought out a new "improved" streaming service, changing overnight from their old system, which worked superbly. It now doesn't work at all on the playbook, and just produces occasional blocks of sound on Pale Moon (Firefox derived browser), but works OK on IE, Firefox and Chrome.

The website appears to stream mp3 and ogg but via some sort of flash thing (I don't really understand these things, as is obvious). Is there anything I can do to get the Playbook hearing this?

The station is WSM Nashville and neither they nor their streaming provider have answered my questions.
    12-05-15 02:02 PM
    Bookmark this site TuneIn Radio: Find and listen to Talk, Music and Local Radio Online

Just enter your search term. Most streams appear to work through this site.

If there is a bit more results showing at the bottom of the screen you could try turning it to portrait.
    12-05-15 07:52 PM
    Try Nobex Radio app from BlackBerry World... They list WSM Nashville as an available station.

Posted via CB10
    12-06-15 05:38 AM
    Thanks for both replies.

I can't make TuneIn radio get beyond "Search", so I've given up with that. It also looks as though it might need a monthly fee for "International" stations.
    Nobex does indeed get WSM AM on the free version, but says I need the Premium version to use it after a month. I tried to find what the premium version would cost, but where the help says "Pay by card" it leads to an unreachable destination, and otherwise it says hit "More" to see the menu on the site. I can't find any "more" button. I really don't want to pay for a free service anyway.

I have looked at a couple of these streaming radio services in the past and have been very unimpressed. I have never seen the point, as it has always seemed easier and more flexible just to stream direct from the stations.

For now, I've moved to a Windows 8 tablet which works after a fashion for this, but the audio quality is worse and I have to have the Playbook as well for its far superior alarm clock function.

I am not sure why this station has stopped working, as I thought the PB supported flash and would play mp3. All the other stations that I try regularly still work.
    12-06-15 07:32 AM
    Interestingly, WSM Nashville streams just fine via their website page and the stock PB Browser... Are you sure you have Flash and Java script enabled? As for Nobex suggesting Premium, that indicates you're probably outside mainland USA?

Posted via CB10
    12-06-15 08:35 AM
    The link I provided isn't the general Tunein site. If you use it you shouldn't have any problem with finding and playing your station.

As for the regular Tunein site when accessed through the Playbook browser, it is still possible to use it often. One way of navigating it is using a long press on any area like 'By Location' and then, from the popup, selecting opening the tab or opening as a new tab. *

Or while using search, type whatever, press return on the Playbook's keyboard and then sweep down from the top and, from the address bar, either highlight the description and press the Playbook's return again or press the refresh arrow beside the description.

*If something doesn't seem to do anything after a long press then check for it by using the sweep down from the top.
    12-06-15 10:25 AM
    Yes, I'm in the UK.

Yes, Flash and Javascript are both enabled in the stock browser. I can't see anything else that might affect this.
    Enable Reader Mode on rotation is OFF, the other 3 things are on. Private browsing is off, Block pop ups is off, Enable web inspector is off.

I see the player, with the play button pressed, but there is no sound. I assume I shouldn't have downloaded the app, which I believe is for Android.

All their on-air promos say available round the world and, up to the end of November, it used to work with their earlier system.

PS. The only other odd thing is that the player comes up initially with a volume slider, but if I scroll down from the main brownish screen, the volume slider has disappeared. I can't find any settings anywhere relating to audio.
    Last edited by Billaboard; 12-06-15 at 10:46 AM.
    12-06-15 10:32 AM
    You should be able to use the up/down volume controls on the top of the PB... As for downloaded App, I'm not sure which one you refer to but in my experience, side loaded versions of the TuneIn android app don't work on the PB.

Posted via CB10
    12-06-15 11:41 AM
    Yes, the up down controls on the top of the PB are working, but there seems to be no audio to control when trying to listen direct from the station.

On the PB, the WSM listen live screen with the microphones can be moved up out of the way to reveal the little black player. That is what sometimes has a horizontal volume slider which does nothing. The slider works on Windows. On the listen live screen, there are 3 buttons, one of which is "Download App". On Windows it says it is for a different OS, so I assume it is Android.

I would really like to investigate further why WSM direct from their website works on the BoneMatrix PB but not on mine.

I've navigated to the tv.tunein.com site and that works, so that's a major step forward. I did try it first on the PC and I have to say that the audio quality is significantly worse on TuneIn than direct from the station website.

But it works, so many, many thanks.
    12-06-15 12:36 PM
    Bookmark this site TuneIn Radio: Find and listen to Talk, Music and Local Radio Online

Just enter your search term. Most streams appear to work through this site.
    That works a treat... Now I have usable access to TuneIn on my PBs!

Posted via CB10
    12-06-15 12:42 PM
    On the PB, the WSM listen live screen with the microphones can be moved up out of the way to reveal the little black player. That is what sometimes has a horizontal volume slider which does nothing. The slider works on Windows. On the listen live screen, there are 3 buttons, one of which is "Download App". On Windows it says it is for a different OS, so I assume it is Android.

I would really like to investigate further why WSM direct from their website works on the BoneMatrix PB but not on min
    Wierd... What URL are you using? Landscape or Portrait orientation?

Posted via CB10
    12-06-15 12:46 PM
    Wierd... What URL are you using? Landscape or Portrait orientation?
    Posted via CB10
    Listen Live

Normally landscape, but it's the same in portrait orientation except that the player and the mics both can be seen at the same time!
    12-06-15 02:09 PM
    Ahhh. Different URL...

If it's any consolation, wsmonline.com doesn't produce any audio on my PB either!

For the record, I was using www.955nashicon.com

The player for that site loads, eventually, at the top of the page.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by BoneMatrix; 12-07-15 at 04:29 PM.
    12-06-15 05:42 PM
    I think you meant "http://www.nashicon.com/", with an h, which I think is the machine-driven FM service of the same organisation. It works here, too, and I don't understand why it is so slow to load on the Blackberry.

I also don't understand why the one company seems to use different companies for the streaming.

I'll try emailing again to ask what the protocols are on each of the sites.

I let Tunein run for a reasonable time yesterday and it stopped a few times with a message "Streaming Error".
    12-07-15 05:27 AM
    I think you meant "http://www.nashicon.com/", with an h, which I think is the machine-driven FM service of the same organisation.

I let Tunein run for a reasonable time yesterday and it stopped a few times with a message "Streaming Error".
    Yep... Sorry about the sloppy spelling!
    Been doing some investigations of my own. That radio station is an Ice-cast streaming service and their website player is pure Java script, i.e. no Flash involved at all. The real URL to that service is in fact

http://stream01184.westreamradio.com/wsm-am2.m3u

The .m3u means it's a streaming playlist which explains why the stock PB Browser doesn't play it as it's actually an ever changing list of currently streaming mp3 tracks. None of the other PB browsers (Oragami, Dolphin, Simple) are able to play it either.

That leaves alternative PB media player apps from BlackBerry World. Sadly, Radio Player won't play it either, despite the claim to be able to handle .m3u play lists

That leaves the Neutron player which, after setting up the site in its list of streaming services, plays the above URL superbly and being Neutron, you gets LOTS of knobs to tweak and adjust to your listening preferences.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by BoneMatrix; 12-07-15 at 04:31 PM.
    12-07-15 03:07 PM
    OK, I'm working on it. I tried to buy Neutron, but I've ended up having to email them to find out what I'm doing wrong.

It's a shame they don't seem to offer a short trial period.
    12-08-15 06:08 PM
    OK. There's another (free) way to do it. You'll need to sideload, though, either ES File Explorer or X-Plore File Manager, both of which should be available on Good E-Reader. Then install either Maxthon or Dolphin Browsers from app world. Then, go to http://stream01184.westreamradio.com/wsm-am2 (drop the m3u extension) in either browser, and you should be good to go. The browser will use the internal music players from either ES or X-Plore to stream the audio.

edit: here's ES- http://apps.goodereader.com/wp-conte...oad.php?id=186
    Last edited by pacoman03; 12-09-15 at 01:44 AM.
    mh1983 likes this.
    12-08-15 07:20 PM
    Thanks! That works, but it has been a struggle. I haven't sideloaded anything for years and had all sorts of messages about missing files etc., but eventually got it all to work.

What I haven't yet mastered is the Dolphin browser/mediaPlayer setup. I have to type in the long url each time, and I'm not sure where or how to get it bookmarked. I made a playlist and entered the site url there, but now I can't find it again.
    12-09-15 12:10 PM
    In Dolphin, to bookmark, swipe down from the top bezel. A menu will pop up from the bottom- here select "More" and then "Add Bookmark". Then, a new window will appear and if you tick the box "Add to speed dial", you'll both bookmark the site and it will also show in Speed Dial whenever you open the app.
    12-09-15 08:41 PM
    Thanks.
    It seems I have to leave a long delay before the next stage, selecting the ES Media Player, and then it all works fine. If I'm too quick, it just goes to a blank white screen.

I'll keep nagging the station, though, about making it work on all browsers.
    12-10-15 11:10 AM
    Sorry to resurrect this thread, but it seems I was wrong about why I had difficulty getting the stream to play, and I still don't really know what is going on.
    I bring up the Dolphin browser, and open it on the site. This brings up the options of ES Downloader or ES Media Player. Select Media Player and it goes to the blank white screen. I then have to close the Dolphin browser and reopen it, going through the set of operations or I have to open a new tab and do the same. Only on the second operation does the browser actually open the player and play.
    Is there any way of looking at why this happens?
    12-28-15 01:23 PM