Hi guys,

OK I've search all around the net and the forum for answers to my issue but cannot seem to locate a solution.

Here's my problem. I've been playing around with streaming around the house. We have had a dedicated media player in our lounge for years with all of our MP3s in there. After getting fed up with having to put the TV on to listen to them, and with 2 PB's in the house along with docks I thought it time to get a solution where we can access these & listen to our library wherever and whenever we wanted to.

I had a spare 250GB hard drive (Packard Bell) which i've hooked up to our router using a Pluscom USB NAS adapter. All the mp3s are separated into folders according to genre, in a master folder called media. I know everything is working fine as through the setup interface for the NAS i've assigned a static IP. Plus, through my Mac I can simply connect to the drive through smb:// using 192.168.2.16, up pops the drive & away I go. No need for addition streaming programs, server installs, etc.

Now before I went down this route of getting the NAS I trialled using my Mac as a file server and connected the PB to it using the sideloaded ES File Explorer. Setup the server, pressed connect & hey presto - the built in player in ESFE allowed full MP3 streaming.

So what' the problem. Well I have spent hours trying to figure out 'why' this won't work when trying to connect to the NAS hard drive. Using search ESFE finds the NAS Hard drive - 192.168.2.16 is in the list. There is a username setup on the server, but no password (deliberate move). I edit the server & simply add the username. The username itself allows direct access to the Media folder. But whatever way I try it I get the error message "Login Failure - This may be caused by", etc. I have tried manually adding the folder into the smb address, no dice; I've tried adding a password to the username, no dice. I've checked the properties & looks fine - same setup as the smb to my mac. I just CANNOT get it to work / access. I've also tried using Ghost Commander - but each time I try to access the server through Windows Share I get the error message "An Exception occured with code c0000001 Failed to connect: 0.0.0.0<00>/192.168.2.16"

So there you go. I'm already losing my hair naturally so can't afford to lose anymore over this. Any suggestions? I will point out that the point of me doing this is so I don't have to have additional software installed on my mac. The hard drive is on the wifi through the NAS adapter and can be seen. I've looked at loads of different programs, both native and sideloaded androids, to see if they can see the drive - none can't. ESFE is the nearest by locating it, but it can't open. I don't want to have to use a 3rd program on the Mac as a server for this loses the point of having the drive as a NAS / smb server direct through the WiFi. If the Mac can see / access it directly and easily why is it so hard on the PB?

So if anyone has any ideas please help! Apologies for the length of the post, but wanted to give you the full details.

Thanks in advance guys!

Update. Thought i'd try ftp-ing into the drive to see if access was possible. Using ftp I can get into the drive through ESFE, but whilst i can view files, folders, etc it just seems to hang when opening an mp3. So I know the drive is accessible, but still get nowhere through smb, and can't open the files.
    Last edited by bay1902; 01-06-13 at 05:28 AM.
    01-06-13 04:30 AM
    Hi -please see below the details that kcmagnet was kind enough to send me - they work! (for music, videos, etc)
    Assume you just need to find the port number for your particular NAS
    Rgds
    Alex

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BigAl

I know this will work for you, as I also have a MyBook Live NAS. Just enter in the IP address for your computer and streaming port in the address bar of the PlayBook browser, and you will be able to stream everything directly through your browser. The format is http://XXX.XXX.X.XXX:9000 (where the X's are the IP address of the MyBook Live, and 9000 is the port number (port might be different on yours).

Why RIM doesn't publicize this, I don't know, because it made my life a whole lot easier...

And before you ask: yes, most of my posts on this site are about this. It is literally the first thing I've ever learned about computers that other people don't seem to know, so I can't help myself from telling everyone
    01-06-13 06:31 AM
    The app "Files and Folders" announces itself as capable to login to stream servers (and then play music/video); they have I think a demo version that you may thus try easily...
    01-06-13 08:05 AM
    So the question is how do you find out the port number of the NAS?
    FF22 likes this.
    01-06-13 08:58 AM
    Hi -please see below the details that kcmagnet was kind enough to send me - they work! (for music, videos, etc)
    Assume you just need to find the port number for your particular NAS
    Rgds
    Alex

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BigAl

I know this will work for you, as I also have a MyBook Live NAS. Just enter in the IP address for your computer and streaming port in the address bar of the PlayBook browser, and you will be able to stream everything directly through your browser. The format is http://XXX.XXX.X.XXX:9000 (where the X's are the IP address of the MyBook Live, and 9000 is the port number (port might be different on yours).

Why RIM doesn't publicize this, I don't know, because it made my life a whole lot easier...

And before you ask: yes, most of my posts on this site are about this. It is literally the first thing I've ever learned about computers that other people don't seem to know, so I can't help myself from telling everyone

The answer is simple. Not all network drive appliances have a web interface, this does not depend on the PlayBook. The question would be, is the web interface for that NAS part of its documentation? Probably yes.
    Regarding GhostCommander, is the user able to login a regular samba share from another machine? Maybe the NAS is using a different version of the smb protocol, but I doubt it.

Also, op must consider that not all content will be able to be streamed to the PB without transcoding. (Google for PlayBook media formats).
    01-06-13 09:00 AM
    Thanks - but no go. Looked at F&F before - got everything else - gdrive, box, skydrive, but no FTP / smb.
    01-06-13 09:11 AM
    ES File Explorer finds my WD My Book Live shared folders with no problem at all.
    I just tried adding a Windows Home Server 2011 shared music folder by using IP_Address\Music and ES File Explorer couldn't even find the server. It never shows up during a scan.
    I then tried using NETWORK_SHARE_NAME\Music (in my case Home-Server\Music) and it found it right away.
    All of my music folders are displayed and ESFE plays music.

BigAl mentions port 9000 on the WD My Book Live. Port 9000 is used to configure Wonky DLNA server on the WD My Book Live. I have never had to add the port# to access the drive.

I can't find much info on the NAS adapter you are using. I'm guessing it's just a regular Samba share that is being set up.
    01-06-13 09:11 AM
    The answer is simple. Not all network drive appliances have a web interface, this does not depend on the PlayBook. The question would be, is the web interface for that NAS part of its documentation? Probably yes.
    Regarding GhostCommander, is the user able to login a regular samba share from another machine? Maybe the NAS is using a different version of the smb protocol, but I doubt it.

Also, op must consider that not all content will be able to be streamed to the PB without transcoding. (Google for PlayBook media formats).
    ok, I can access the main web interface of the NAS no probs through the browser & can configure from there. In terms of logging in from an alternative machine, as per my original post I can access & stream fine from my mac by using the smb address, so I know it is working - plus also I can access using both Ghost Commander and ESFE thru FTP. So my question maintains why, when i use smb with ease between my mac & my PB can I not seem to get the same access using ESFE to the NAS thru SMB? In GC I can access the files thru FTP, but cannot play (opens but halts), same with ESFE. If this worked I would have been happier, but in ESFE the song tries to open but freezes. Hope this give the info you required.

Thanks for helping.
    01-06-13 09:32 AM
    ES File Explorer finds my WD My Book Live shared folders with no problem at all.
    I just tried adding a Windows Home Server 2011 shared music folder by using IP_Address\Music and ES File Explorer couldn't even find the server. It never shows up during a scan.
    I then tried using NETWORK_SHARE_NAME\Music (in my case Home-Server\Music) and it found it right away.

BigAl mentions port 9000 on the WD My Book Live. Port 9000 is used to configure Wonky DLNA server on the WD My Book Live. I have never had to add the port# to access the drive.

I can't find much info on the NAS adapter you are using. I'm guessing it's just a regular Samba share that is being set up.
    Yes its a regular samba share - its a cheap USB NAS adapter off ebay to try & get the job done. I've tried just using the names as well instead of the ip address, and it simply says it cannot find the server. So again this is weird!

I'll try the web browser suggestion & report back with any success.
    01-06-13 09:34 AM
    No joy. The main setup interface doesn't give me any idea on which port is being used, certainly isn't 9000. Went into the router setup and whilst it is listed in the devices (STORAGE at 192.168.2.16) no port details.

Any more ideas guys?
    01-06-13 09:42 AM
    The issue here is DLNA. The PlayBook does not have a DLNA player and no one has bothered to write one as of yet.
    01-06-13 10:50 AM
    I have several of the 8TB WDSharespaces and this is the only way the PlayBook can access the Twonky Media Server. It works locally (LAN) and even when I am outside of the network (WAN) because I have it port mapped on my router. The only issue is I had to create a book mark for LAN play and one for WAN play. This was the only way to stream DLNA content for me. I can do both audio and video.

01-06-13 11:01 AM
    Does your routed offer any ftp or personal cloud setup? That way you don't need a computer on to run with the drive. Works well for me watching movies etc.
    01-06-13 11:19 AM
    Surprised no one's mention Kalemsoft Media Player as a way to play music off a NAS (it works with my MyBook Live) .
    01-06-13 11:35 AM
    The issue here is DLNA. The PlayBook does not have a DLNA player and no one has bothered to write one as of yet.
    Kalemsoft Media Player plays from DLNA and UPnP servers.
    It's what I use.
    01-06-13 12:51 PM
    already have kalemsoft, again for some reason it won't pickup

edit,wrong thing to say. kalemsoft automatically finds the folder, however when I try to open the mp3 folder it just spins round amd round, never goes anywhere
    01-06-13 01:00 PM
    Ok, i've gotten somewhere. I decided to take a closer look at the drive itself. Looked through the structure of the directories & sat next to where the drive physically is. When I started the unpnp function of kalemsoft it picked up the drive immediately & started to spin. I think the issue is down to the number of files / folders contained on the hard drive & its wifi communication through samba to the PB. Whilst this isn't a problem for my main mac it appears to be for the PB. I decided to put a single file in the allocated PUBLIC folder of the NAS & then see if Kalemsoft both found, could access and could play it. Low & behold it did!

So I think I need to either a) put a limited number of files / folders within the main public directory, or b) look for another spare HD which may cope better with these tendencies!

However I'm closer to what I needed than ever before. Still no joy getting in with ES File Explorer, which is really weird, but happier nevertheless!

Thanks for your help, and any additional advice appreciated!
    01-06-13 02:31 PM
    I have 11,000+ files and don't have a problem.
    My file structure seems to be similar to what you described.
    Music\Genre\Artist\Album\Songs
    01-06-13 04:38 PM
    Woot! Kalemsoft Media Player sees and plays media from my dlna server!
    01-06-13 07:58 PM
    I have 11,000+ files and don't have a problem.
    My file structure seems to be similar to what you described.
    Music\Genre\Artist\Album\Songs
    Agreed - which is why its possibly the drive, I don't know anymore!
    01-06-13 11:36 PM