My Playbook had to be returned in February of 2012, after a crack developed in the glass. No idea....but they replaced it under warranty.

Works great.
    Last couple of weeks I noticed a bulging around the perimeter next to the right speaker.
    Then, the rubber border starting pultruding outwards.
    Last night...it was all the way out and the metal frame underneath was snapped.
    Now I am suspecting my 8 year old kid messing around with my Playbook.
    However, I called RIM and the person I spoke to said...sounds like a heat issue.
    No worries.....they are sending me a RMA and will fix/replace under warranty....

Really good customer service by the way....
    Anyone hear of this happening with their Playbooks before???
    Last edited by Ipadhater2012; 09-18-12 at 08:20 AM.
    09-18-12 07:56 AM
    You a word.

I've never heard of that before, i'm glad they're RMAing it for you.
    09-18-12 08:06 AM
    There have been a few cases where the rubber has peeled away and a few where some white substance has shown at the seams - might be glue/adhesive.
    09-18-12 08:52 AM
    Wasn't the white stuff battery juice?
    If you have seen changes in this defect over time it could be a buldging battery.
    09-18-12 09:05 AM
    Where is the battery located?
    Looks like the rubber seam separated....but now the metal "fence" is popping out....almost suddenly....
    If a battery issue...would I not notice operating issues....to date none.....works like a charm....except for the issue at hand.
    09-18-12 09:17 AM
    There are two batteries. One on each side with the motherboard in the middle.
    Can you post a picture?
    09-18-12 09:24 AM
    I will try tonight......my god...it could be battery and that is why the bulge is expanding.
    I better backup my machine tonight. yikes...
    09-18-12 09:58 AM
    Did you feed it after midnight? And don't put water on it, it will multiply. (Sorry I couldn't resist but your description reminded me of the film)
    09-18-12 10:06 AM
    LOl...maybe the stupid thing is about to spawn......
    dave_h_946 likes this.
    09-18-12 10:41 AM
    Did you feed it after midnight? And don't put water on it, it will multiply. (Sorry I couldn't resist but your description reminded me of the film)
    Lol! If it does, let's hope the little pbs are of the sweet variety. I'm gonna have nightmares now about evil little pbs trying to destroy everything - thanks for the memory and the laugh.
    dave_h_946 likes this.
    09-18-12 10:56 AM
    Mine is currently in transit back to RIM for the same repair. I shipped it out on Monday morning and I am already going through withdrawals.

It is definitely awesome that they are willing to fix it. I too have little ones who like to play with it (gotta teach 'em young not to drink the Apple flavored Kool-Aid ) and suspect it was their fidgity fingers while spending the hours killing pigs.

I also thought it might be the neoprene case that comes with the PlayBook since it is so grippy, but then I would think more people would be having the problem.

Either way, once I get it back, I'm not taking it out of the OtterBox case anymore.
    09-18-12 11:39 AM
    Mine is currently in transit back to RIM for the same repair. I shipped it out on Monday morning and I am already going through withdrawals.

It is definitely awesome that they are willing to fix it. I too have little ones who like to play with it (gotta teach 'em young not to drink the Apple flavored Kool-Aid ) and suspect it was their fidgity fingers while spending the hours killing pigs.

I also thought it might be the neoprene case that comes with the PlayBook since it is so grippy, but then I would think more people would be having the problem.

Either way, once I get it back, I'm not taking it out of the OtterBox case anymore.
    Not too sure it was my son to blame since the problem seems to have creeped slowly worse.
    What was the nature of your repair? Battery or the same issue as mine?
    09-18-12 01:34 PM
    Same as yours about the rubber border coming out, at the right speaker port. Not a big deal, but if RIM is willing to fix/replace, then....
    09-18-12 03:18 PM
    Would be interested to know if defect/kid was the ultimate cause of the problem thankfully my boy is 12 and his gadget collection is bigger then mine.
    Hows the saying go spoil the kid spare the rod?
    09-18-12 03:49 PM
    Ok....here are the pics....determined the cause is not the child....(according to my wife)....

Hope this works....let me know what you all think....

IMGP2154.JPG
    09-18-12 06:07 PM
    Imgp2155.jpg
    09-18-12 06:11 PM
    hope these work?
    09-18-12 06:13 PM
    if not can someone please tell how to post the pics cause I am just too frikking stoopid...
    09-18-12 06:14 PM
    Well, got my PlayBook back, er a new one back. They did the full swap for me. The build is noticeably different. The rubber boarder is less pronounced, so I don't the same thing happening again. Almost flush with the glass now.

I now see what people are talking about with the power button, as this ond is a bit taller and has a more positive feel. It never bothered me, but this is definitely much better.

Via my PlayBook and Tapatalk
    09-22-12 03:38 PM
    Well, got my PlayBook back, er a new one back. They did the full swap for me. The build is noticeably different. The rubber boarder is less pronounced, so I don't the same thing happening again. Almost flush with the glass now.

I now see what people are talking about with the power button, as this ond is a bit taller and has a more positive feel. It never bothered me, but this is definitely much better.

Via my PlayBook and Tapatalk
    Great news that you received a replacement, and all is well.

Cheers
    09-22-12 04:07 PM
    if not can someone please tell how to post the pics cause I am just too frikking stoopid...
    Under the reply window there is a button that says manage attachments. After you click that, you can choose the file and upload. The picture has to be on the device you're using.
    09-22-12 04:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD