I've found many threads throughout the Internet discussing bricked PlayBooks, but my case seems to be different, since none of the advices does not work. I've been playing with it for about three weeks, and I want to describe all the phases:

Stage 1) Soon after updating to 2.1 beta (the official OTA way) I found out, that whenever I want to use my PlayBook, it is discharged. So I used it on cable (original plug charger bundled with PlayBook), which was OK for the time, since I only had so little free time those days. I thought, that the beta just drains the battery extremely quickly and was OK with that.

Stage 2) I found out, that the PlayBook does not charge at all. The lightning icon was there, but the percentage did not move at all. Not even after 20 or more hours. So I let it on the cable turned off (the LED was on) and let it there for few days as I was finishing my school and had no time for gadgets anyway.

Note 1: My microUSB is not misaligned. As you can tell from the simple fact, that it shows the lightning icon on cable.

Stage 3) The battery discharged to flat 0% during the time. I was able to turn it on in one specific way. I had to let in on the charger for about 20-30 minutes, while the green light was slowly pulsing, and soon after it started to boot and actually worked, but it shut down in the very second I pulled the cord. While it was on, the LED didn't do jack, the lightning icon was on, and the percentage stayed on 0% for hours.

Stage 4) I had backup, so I decided to downgrade using BB Desktop Software hoping that 2.1 has some kind of weird bug that broke the software charging controller. All I got was "Unspecified error encountered [A:0x000000A2]" right after the modules were downloaded (on painfully slow connection), software extracted and just a little while of "Loading system software".

Stage 5) I got myself "cfp.exe" and "qcfm.image.com.qnx.coreos.qcfm.os.factory_sfi.desk top.GR2_0_1.668.239873.signed.bar", and did the famous NUKE, WIPE, LOAD sequence. Everything seemed to work. Except for the damned fact that it does no longer boots. All I get is red light, this icon:

followed by few minutes of black screen, then booting sequence, than black screen. It is not the case of "+ and - makes screenshot sound" (I have even tried to hold volume up for a while to make sure it isn't muted). It's just dead black, and not even the LED is on. However, I have noticed during night, that the backlight is slightly on. It is barely visible in the night, but it disappears as soon as I pull the cord.

Stage 6) I tried to use CFP for multiple times, even loading "qcfm.image.com.qnx.coreos.qcfm.os.factory_sfi.GR2_ X_X.560.229027.signed", trying the desktop software under various conditions (even tried to press the power button every 5 seconds since it only connects while the LED is on), and it never managed to boot again.

Note 2: Stack charging does nothing. I have pulled and plugged the cord every 20 seconds for more than 30 minutes (about 100 plugs, so about 50 charging cycles). I cannot do the 2-minute variant, since my PlayBook tries to boot during that interval.

Note 3: I got my PlayBook during the Android developers giveaway, and there is no BlackBerry support in Czech republic whatsoever. Only thorugh tha carriers, but none of those offers PlayBook anyway.

Note 4: None of the "hold this combination of buttons for extended period of time and dance tango while doing it" works or does anything significant.

Stage 7) 2.1.0.1032 is out. Wheee!! The Desktop Software update actually goes through, but (obviously), gets stuck at this stage:

I say obviously, because the USB port does not give the PlayBook enough juice to actually boot up. So I put it back on wall plug, I got the 5 secs of LED, the battery drained icon, few minutes of black, booting sequence, and... nothing at all. Just Stage 5 all over again.

Stage 8) I am completely desperate and type this tl;dr post. Have anybody ANY idea, how to make the thing work? RIM only seems to have paid e-mail support, and sending it to USA would be way too expensive anyway.

Thank you for your patience if you actually read through all this!
    10-04-12 08:04 AM
    Have you tried another charger? If you cannot find a PlayBook charger, one of the generic USP port type chargers will work as long as they rated over one amp. I have used a charge only cable with a Belkin Apple charger that is rated 1.2 amp. You may need to use a charge only cable to use one of the generic USB port charges, as most are wired for Apple devices. If you search the forums there are posts showing how to turn a regular USB cable into a charge only cable.

Once you have another charger, try the stack charging method and other suggested methods.

For example, here is one of the generic USB port style chargers on Ebay

http://viewitem.eim.ebay.cz/4-Port-U...831756282/item
    Last edited by robsteve; 10-04-12 at 08:52 AM.
    10-04-12 08:43 AM
    I have tried some at work. It was Asus Transformer adapter and Samsung Galaxy Tab adapter. Both about 2A, so even stronger than the PlayBook one. I have even tried serveral microUSB cables, but not charge-only one. Do you think it might actually help? Because as I said, the device was actually able to work while connected to the charger I have. Well, before I used CFP.

Stack charging and similar methods do not work, as said in Notes 1, 2 and 4.
    10-04-12 08:48 AM
    I believe you've tried everything ... but didn't found this specific sequence ("debrick method"), so you may try it. Ignore if you went from there in your step 7.

1. Start DM (PB NOT plugged to computer)
    2. Plug PB : DM pops : Unable to connect to the device, click "update" then "repair"
    3. let it go threw DL and extraction
    4. Wait until you have an error message, don't rely on screen lightning or not.
    5. (except if error : please report it) Do not unplug the USB cable untill full reboot and setup done.

May seem obvious, but many tried tricky things while this one worked.
    10-04-12 08:55 AM
    I have tried some at work. It was Asus Transformer adapter and Samsung Galaxy Tab adapter. Both about 2A, so even stronger than the PlayBook one. I have even tried serveral microUSB cables, but not charge-only one. Do you think it might actually help? Because as I said, the device was actually able to work while connected to the charger I have. Well, before I used CFP.

Stack charging and similar methods do not work, as said in Notes 1, 2 and 4.
    You need the charge only cable usually if it is not a BlackBerry charger. It is quick and easy to make.

- Slit the cable cover open
    - select the two small data wires, cut them
    - on the end connected to the PlayBook strip the two data wires going to the PlayBook and twist them together.
    -put a piece of tape on the bare wires.
    -stuff them back in the cable casing/cover and tape up the cable.
    10-04-12 08:56 AM
    I believe you've tried everything ... but didn't found this specific sequence ("debrick method"), so you may try it. Ignore if you went from there in your step 7.

1. Start DM (PB NOT plugged to computer)
    2. Plug PB : DM pops : Unable to connect to the device, click "update" then "repair"
    3. let it go threw DL and extraction
    4. Wait until you have an error message, don't rely on screen lightning or not.
    5. (except if error : please report it) Do not unplug the USB cable untill full reboot and setup done.

May seem obvious, but many tried tricky things while this one worked.
    I would love to, but since the battery is completely drained and USB port only gives about 0,5A, the PlayBook is unable to reboot/setup whatsoever.

You need the charge only cable usually if it is not a BlackBerry charger. It is quick and easy to make.

- Slit the cable cover open
    - select the two small data wires, cut them
    - on the end connected to the PlayBook strip the two data wires going to the PlayBook and twist them together.
    -put a piece of tape on the bare wires.
    -stuff them back in the cable casing/cover and tape up the cable.
    I will try that as soon as I get to work again. But is it actually needed? Because the LED goes on even with basic cable. I will try it, but I cannot ruin my only microUSB left now :-).
    10-04-12 09:01 AM
    I have a similar issue. In my case either the battery or motherboard are failing. Ordered parts online for the battery and hope to have it fixed soon.

In my case when it did power on and "work" it would be very buggy. PB needed to be booted on a rapid charger or USB 3.0 port with laptop closed - and waiting for full boot up before opening laptop. OS runs just very very sluggish. Battery charges from 99 to 100 but PB does not see battery. Disassembly showed me no loose connections.

Hoping battery terminal out to motherboard is cause otherwise I have to garbage the 64gb device.

Edit: in case it helps.

If the PB boots to red led, and back to black, back to red - it is not getting enough juice to the motherboard to boot. It means USB2 connection with battery fully drained.

When booting via USB3, the laptop needs to dedicate every ounce of power for the tablet to boot the motherboard of the PB. If your laptop is open or not plugged in, your PB will not have enough power and die to black.

Once the PB is "running" it needs constant USB 3.0 power charging to remain active enough to backup. Only play on the PB long enough to enable backups...

If you have the same issue as me, you have to use USB3.0 to reimage. But the OS isn't the problem is the mobo / battery for me. Could be bad timing for you and unrelated to 2.1?

Ed

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by KermEd; 10-04-12 at 09:08 AM.
    10-04-12 09:01 AM
    I would love to, but since the battery is completely drained and USB port only gives about 0,5A, the PlayBook is unable to reboot/setup whatsoever.
    Totally drained is unlikely, unless you left it out of power for days/weeks ... IMHO.
    Maybe Peter could help ...
    10-04-12 09:03 AM
    Totally drained is unlikely, unless you left it out of power for days/weeks ... IMHO.
    Maybe Peter could help ...
    It is already 3 or 4 weeks since it dropped to 0%. I'm trying to get it back to life since. Who is Peter?
    10-04-12 09:06 AM
    The PB has a one year warranty to the original purchaser. It also has 90 free Tech support. I do not know how Rim deals with "quasi-tech support v. warranty"

Rim Support
    Tel:
    Canada Toll Free: 1-877-644-8405
    United States Toll Free: 1-877-644-8410
    Puerto Rico Toll Free: 1-855-651-4936
    Email: [email protected] (this route generally does not work and a call is necessary)

(UK Support) 0800 096 2805

Playbook French Support
    http://fr.blackberry.com/playbook-ta...ok-support.jsp
    Phone : 0800 914 533 (within 90 days from activation)
    10-04-12 10:13 AM
    The PB has a one year warranty to the original purchaser. It also has 90 free Tech support. I do not know how Rim deals with "quasi-tech support v. warranty"

Rim Support
    Tel:
    Canada Toll Free: 1-877-644-8405
    United States Toll Free: 1-877-644-8410
    Puerto Rico Toll Free: 1-855-651-4936
    Email: [email protected] (this route generally does not work and a call is necessary)

(UK Support) 0800 096 2805

Playbook French Support
    http://fr.blackberry.com/playbook-ta...ok-support.jsp
    Phone : 0800 914 533 (within 90 days from activation)
    As I said, there was no purchase (therefore no warranty), and I am from Czech Republic :-(.
    10-04-12 10:31 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD