Today I went into my local phone store which is currently selling the playbook, when I got there I asked about the prices to which they told me was �249 for the 16gb and not the �169 deal, next they tried to sell me the iPad 2 which I already own, they said that the blackberry bridge never works so I should not buy the playbook! So I brought it anyway! I used to be a big apple fan I had the iPhone 4 and iPad 2, I sold the iPhone 4 and got the blackberry 9900 and now sold my iPad to get a playbook
    02-18-12 01:08 PM
    that's a splendid choice you got there my friend.
    AlexJH1992, zethaaron and mzceetee like this.
    02-18-12 01:10 PM
    I wouldn't have bought it there! I would've said "I'm getting a Playbook today regardless, and you just lost the sale" and walked out of there.
    02-18-12 01:12 PM
    I think there are a lot of biased or brand loyal salespeople out there. I have read many threads about salespeoples dissing the PB. Why would any retailer sell the PB and tell their salespeople to diss the product?
    02-18-12 01:15 PM
    I think there are a lot of biased or brand loyal salespeople out there. I have read many threads about salespeoples dissing the PB. Why would any retailer sell the PB and tell their salespeople to diss the product?
    If it's a phone store, they diss it because the Bridge means no extra monthly revenue fee !
    02-18-12 01:20 PM
    I would have walked away and try to buy elsewhere, maybe even at the �169 price. If I couldn't find a PB anywhere else, I could always go back. It's not like the PBs are flying off the shelf at that store when their salespeople are telling customers not to buy.
    CDM76 likes this.
    02-18-12 01:24 PM
    as far as I know, Currys and PC World still have the 16Gb PB at �169. I bought mine off the website.

I assume you mean carphonewarehouse....
    02-18-12 01:28 PM
    Yes I mean carphone warehouse, It seems like they wanted me to buy the iPad and when I told them I already had a iPad they tried to get me to buy one with more memory!!!! And they tried To persuade me to get rid of my blackberry and buy a iPhone 4S
    02-18-12 01:32 PM
    The last thing a customer should do is to listen to a salesperson. Salespeople have absolutely different incentives than you do. A good example is when you buy a laptop they start scaring you about viruses and "force" you to buy an antivirus soft for $75-150, without even hinting at the fact that you can get free antivirus that is comparable or even better than the paid alternatives.

better educate yourself and then go shopping. Ignore salespeople.
    Last edited by kennyliu; 02-18-12 at 01:41 PM.
    02-18-12 01:37 PM
    Yes I mean carphone warehouse, It seems like they wanted me to buy the iPad and when I told them I already had a iPad they tried to get me to buy one with more memory!!!! And they tried To persuade me to get rid of my blackberry and buy a iPhone 4S
    you bought elsewhere, I hope!
    02-18-12 01:41 PM
    Plus...some stores are commissioned based. They make more commission selling a more expensive iPad thena PB.
    02-18-12 01:49 PM
    The OP should return to the store where the purchase of the BlackBerry PlayBook was discouraged and show BlackBerry Bridge in action between his BlackBerry Bold 9900 and Blackberry PlayBook. And then ask them if the Apple iPhone and Apple iPad can do it (with a smirk on your face, of course).
    02-18-12 01:52 PM
    if you didn't get the 16gb for �169 i would take it back , it's �169 on their website ! You can get the 64gb for �249 .
    When you first go to the Carphonewarehouse site it's a bit of a give away which products they are pushing.......
    02-18-12 02:04 PM
    When I went into the store the playbook was in the far corner on a small display, the iPad was in the centre of the store along with the iPhone 4S
    02-18-12 02:47 PM
    Most of these employees are paid commission, so buying an iPad makes the salesperson more money. Also, right now, they are probably having no trouble selling the Playbooks, and may be trying to push overstock on iPads.

With the low playbook prices, I'm sure many prospective iPad buyers bought Playbooks instead.
    recompile, Maple75 and Jeovex like this.
    02-18-12 02:54 PM
    They tried to talk you out of the PB be.cause it is hip nowadays to say bad things about RIM whether it's lying about the product, plain ignorance or the apple brainwash urge.
    That's why I buy stuff online, no BS talk.
    Blacklatino likes this.
    02-18-12 02:59 PM
    The OP should return to the store where the purchase of the BlackBerry PlayBook was discouraged and show BlackBerry Bridge in action between his BlackBerry Bold 9900 and Blackberry PlayBook. And then ask them if the Apple iPhone and Apple iPad can do it (with a smirk on your face, of course).
    Better yet, wait until after the 2.0 update and *really* show them how "poorly" Bridge works. Then ask them to demo this on an iPhone/iPad combo.
    02-18-12 03:03 PM
    But is that not what tethering does? I was under the impression that iPhone can be tethered to an iPad via bluetooth to give pretty much the same effect as the BB bridge. Same as a PB can be tethered to an iPhone.

Maybe I have that wrong?
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    02-18-12 03:12 PM
    You write poetry my friend
    02-18-12 03:16 PM
    They tried to talk you out of the PB be.cause it is hip nowadays to say bad things about RIM whether it's lying about the product, plain ignorance or the apple brainwash urge.
    That's why I buy stuff online, no BS talk.
    True words, very true.
    02-18-12 03:19 PM
    I know it isn't bridging per se but you realize that you can set up a hot spot and tether to your iPad from your iPhone right? You don't need to bridge the email because iPad already has the email synced with the native email app.

And before you say it, no there is no extra charge. It uses your phone data just like PB bridge does. And I can use my laptop or PB on that hot spot too so its not limited to interaction just between 2 devices.

I am on Bell Canada.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    02-18-12 03:42 PM
    The playbook 16GB is still going at the local Currys and PC World for �169 and the 64 GB is �249 I would not pay �249 for a 16 GB when there are so many offering it for �169. The Playbook is cited on Blackberry UK for �169 for 16GB
    02-18-12 03:42 PM
    I know it isn't bridging per se but you realize that you can set up a hot spot and tether to your iPad from your iPhone right? You don't need to bridge the email because iPad already has the email synced with the native email app.

And before you say it, no there is no extra charge. It uses your phone data just like PB bridge does. And I can use my laptop or PB on that hot spot too so its not limited to interaction just between 2 devices.

I am on Bell Canada.
    My provider Rogers do charge extra for the tethering option. With bridging with BB it is n/c b/c the surfing looks like it is coming from your phone. If you are not being charged for tethering including creating a hotspot on Bell, you are lucky.
    02-18-12 03:51 PM
    But is that not what tethering does? I was under the impression that iPhone can be tethered to an iPad via bluetooth to give pretty much the same effect as the BB bridge. Same as a PB can be tethered to an iPhone.

Maybe I have that wrong?
    Bridge is much more than just tethering. If you turn off Bridge you can still use bluetooth tethering only but that just gives you Internet access through your data plan. Bridge does that and "bridges your" BB PIN apps and BBM. Also bridge allows your PB access to the data on your BB, without bridge you don't see the option to browse your phone. With 2.0 Bridge will offer far more.

I have attached 4 screenshots, the first is a file browse without bridge enabled on the PB and the last 3 are with Bridge enabled to my BB phone.
    abramadhi likes this.
    02-18-12 04:17 PM
    My provider Rogers do charge extra for the tethering option. With bridging with BB it is n/c b/c the surfing looks like it is coming from your phone. If you are not being charged for tethering including creating a hotspot on Bell, you are lucky.
    how big is your data plan?...im with rogers and dont pay for tethering, plans 1gb + are supposed to include it
    02-18-12 04:38 PM
85 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD