Bigbox stores will probably never carry the playbooks ever again anyway so guess all the so called idiots will be online only.
    09-16-12 04:51 PM
    Staples employees do not make commission. Just letting you know.
    I have to agree I think most don't make commissions probably just above the minimum wage which in new york state is somewhere around 8 or 9 dollars an hour.
    09-16-12 05:06 PM
    RIM should make a BB10 ad for the Super Bowl.
    aburridoz likes this.
    09-16-12 05:07 PM
    What is funny is that this thread is about big box stores and how they put down the PlayBook. I really don't know if they make commission on sales. But you really can't expect them to know everything about the products they sell. And in all my time at a Best Buy store, I have never seen them sell any tablet but an iPad.

But if RIM is to have a future, it is not Best Buy and the PlayBook need to worry about, it is Mobile phone companies they need to worry about. I know in the US, ATT and Verizon store employees get bonuses for certain phones models they sell. That they are to steer customers to certain phones. Verizon rather would not sell you an iPhone because the subsidized cost is higher and they would rather people switch to LTE for data. But people buy iPhone despite Verizon's hopes. RIM is not so lucky.
    09-16-12 05:23 PM
    If you look at the avg age of a retail rep unless its a manager its btwn 16-24 and what's popular among them are the andriods and the iphones so even if they can see in black and white what RIM has to offer they will dismiss it because its not the cool phone among their peers. They are plug into the matrix, some looking for a Neo some dont really care they like it just the way it is....
    esk369 likes this.
    09-16-12 06:20 PM
    Hey everyone,
    I am sorry for ranting, and as much as I hate saying it, some stores salesmen are bunch of idiots.

My father in law wanted a Playbook because he wants something more portable than a 15.6" laptop when hes out on a construction/project site.

i went to the local Staples and they were sold out of all 3 models. i asked the guy if they're getting anymore soon, he said not sure because staples and RIM are trying to clear available store stocks to make room for the new Playbook 2.0 thats gonna be coming out soon and if i wanted a tablet, i should just buy an ipad or samsung because they're better any ways. so i just walked away from the and left the store.

then i went to the near by Bestbuy and they were also out of stock. so while i was standing looking at the accessories and screen protectors, a woman comes by and asks the salesman if the playbook was made/available in a 3g/4g model, and the says no rim doesnt make such product and they only have a wifi version which isnt that great anyways.

so as the woman was walking away, i spoke to her about what the PB can do and its features are when you bridge it to a BB handhel d(she had a bold 9900). she was amazed and went to customer service to see if she can pre-order one.

why arent these salesmen up to date on info and more informed. no wonder RIM gets a bad rep with people through word of mouth.

cheers
    I've stepped in a couple of times at best buy because people where not getting proper details from the sales rep. Both instance people had blackberry yet the sales person automatically pointed people to ipads. Staff should ask people what they need in a tablet and then direct them to a product that will fit their needs.
    09-16-12 07:29 PM
    I think at the moment the best advertising rim has for the pb is pb owners using my pb in a public place more times then not turns into me demonstrating the pb for people and I'm glad to do it.
    I do wish rim would discover ADVERTISING its not a new concept and many corporations are very successful at it.
    I do the same and take mine just about every where. I'm always advocating for the benefits vs the cost vs ones app needs. I hope they make a splash when they launch BB10.
    09-16-12 07:47 PM
    This is RIMs own fault...

This is what happens when you don't advertise and market your own products... Others will form their own opinion of your products and spread their opinions which then become truth as far as the average consumer is concerned.

To this day, I've yet to see any announcement or marketing for a 3g/4g playbook so guess what.... IT DOESN'T EXIST.

The BB guy was correct as far as consumers are concerned, there is no 4g playbook
    Last edited by KOOLWATER; 09-16-12 at 07:57 PM.
    esk369 likes this.
    09-16-12 07:54 PM
    I haven't been on this board long, but I am tired of seeing people rant and rave about BB and other stores calling these people idiots. You cannot know everything about everything. I've worked retail in a past life and I didn't know jack about 1200 other products the store sold. It is a job. That's all it is. It's the responsibility of the consumer to research for themselves nowadays. It takes 10 seconds to go on your phone or computer and search. People in stores and life in general will tell you anything they want because they more than likely will never see you again, and if you go and complain about said person, IT GOES NOWEHRE. Why do you all think BB is failing? Because consumers are doing their own research by going into the store, testing out the products and going somewhere else to buy them cheaper. BB employees do not work on commission, so for them, it's just put in my 5 hours and go home. This world has gotten into a pretty mess because people blame other people for what they should be taking responsibility for. Not everyone is versed in Blackberry. This whole Crackberry nation is a very minuscule group of enthusiasts compared to the "outside" world. I will bet you a years salary that 99% of people in any store know jack squat about the PB 4g and 3g+. There's not marketing. I wouldn't have known about it unless I read it on here. I bet that's the same situation with BB. So next time you call someone an , look at yourself, at least that "" has a job, which at least in my country, the USA, a lot of people cannot say. "".

Jessica
    Stop ranting about people ranting!

You're talking in circles. The one minute you 'defend' the salesperson in saying he/she cannot know everything. Then you go into put responsibility on consumer to do his/he rown research. Well, some consumers still do shopping by relying on salesperson's advice. So you see, a coin has 2 sides. There are bad salespeople just as there are bad consumers. The one who takes care of him/herself will survive.
    Last edited by rcm1301; 09-16-12 at 08:01 PM.
    09-16-12 07:56 PM
    If you work at any of the stores named here, you probably make minimum wage. maybe you aren't going to take the time to be up on everything that comes out and just send people toward the more expensive iPad...futureshop works on commission.
    09-16-12 08:03 PM
    I've stepped in a couple of times at best buy because people where not getting proper details from the sales rep. Both instance people had blackberry yet the sales person automatically pointed people to ipads. Staff should ask people what they need in a tablet and then direct them to a product that will fit their needs.
    Sales people in big box stores are not there to advise customers. Their job is to make a sale and sell the product with the highest margin.
    The only thing I ask sales people to do is direct me to the location on the product I am looking for.
    09-16-12 08:10 PM
    Sales people are going to push whatever the regional manager tells the store manager and what he tells his assistant mgrs and so on they dont have your best interest in mind its their bottom line period.
    And any consumer that relies on a sales kid to tell them what they need to buy.
    A fool and his money are soon parted.
    My personal goal when it comes to purchasing consumer electronics at the big box stores is to use a salesman for one purpose let me know where it is and could you please unlock it for me I've done my own research and very rarely ask for a opinion.
    It works for me.
    09-16-12 08:29 PM
    I do the same and take mine just about every where. I'm always advocating for the benefits vs the cost vs ones app needs. I hope they make a splash when they launch BB10.
    Koz what reaction do you normally get when you demo your playbook for someone?
    09-16-12 08:37 PM
    Sales people in big box stores are not there to advise customers. Their job is to make a sale and sell the product with the highest margin.
    The only thing I ask sales people to do is direct me to the location on the product I am looking for.
    I didn't mean to plagiarize your post just basically look at it/have the same experience as you.
    09-16-12 08:40 PM
    Another great place to look is the marketplace here on the CB forums. Just a thought.
    09-16-12 09:01 PM
    Koz what reaction do you normally get when you demo your playbook for someone?
    Most people are usually pretty impressed with what it can do. Not always, especially if it's an apple fan but usually they leave feeling more positive about it then they originally did. I've gotten a few people to buy one after I've demo it, we'll the demo and the current price tag. I'd like to take all the credit, but I'm sure @ $199 for 32g has something to do with it. I use mine at work daily and have made a couple presentations at work with it using the bridge remote which really impressed a people...

I also promote them registering and downloading the 2.1.084 beta, it's worked almost flawlessly for me.
    09-16-12 09:10 PM
    Most people are usually pretty impressed with what it can do. Not always, especially if it's an apple fan but usually they leave feeling more positive about it then they originally did. I've gotten a few people to buy one after I've demo it, we'll the demo and the current price tag. I'd like to take all the credit, but I'm sure @ $199 for 32g has something to do with it. I use mine at work daily and have made a couple presentations at work with it using the bridge remote which really impressed a people...

I also promote them registering and downloading the 2.1.084 beta, it's worked almost flawlessly for me.
    I thought so same mostly if they can get past the Skype and netflix thing it pretty much sells itself with a good demo although the fruit people ( no offense to anyone that owns one ) down at the local Starbucks don't like me not so much.
    And not that its my mission to convert or sell pbs but when your out and about using my pb people ask and im more then happy to show it off.
    09-16-12 09:22 PM
    And yes with work before and after pictures and videos made with pb cam of construction projects im working on make perfect presentations with the hdmi out on a flat screen makes me look like a f#&in genus in front of my boss.
    kozmo68 likes this.
    09-16-12 09:28 PM
    I think the true dolt is the person who does not realize

1) Sales people are there to make a sale - ANY SALE!!

2) Sales people will be given instructions to sell items that are less likely to be returned back to the store.

Given that Apple devices seem to have the highest consumer satisfaction ratings out there, it's expected that the store would prefer to sell iPads.
    09-17-12 07:49 AM
    I didn't mean to plagiarize your post just basically look at it/have the same experience as you.
    Great minds think alike.
    esk369 likes this.
    09-17-12 08:18 AM
    Two words guys..."buy online"
    09-17-12 10:01 AM
    I haven't been on this board long, but I am tired of seeing people rant and rave about BB and other stores calling these people idiots. You cannot know everything about everything.
    If you are a salesperson, nobody expects you to know everything! If you don't know, then just say so, or don't say anything.

If you work at any of the stores named here, you probably make minimum wage. maybe you aren't going to take the time to be up on everything that comes out and just send people toward the more expensive iPad...futureshop works on commission.
    Just because they make minimum wage, doesn't mean they should do their job any less. That makes no sense. I guess then it's ok to not expect good service or properly prepared food when you go to McDonald's. Or maybe for the one surgeon who doesn't make as much as the other, to perform your surgery with less care.

I think the true dolt is the person who does not realize

1) Sales people are there to make a sale - ANY SALE!!

2) Sales people will be given instructions to sell items that are less likely to be returned back to the store.
    That doesn't mean they should lie, or give you wrong information. And if they don't know something, then say so or don't say anything at all! Very simple.
    09-17-12 10:36 AM
    Hey! It's this thread again!!!

I'm thinking PB users just buy the tablet to feel good over minimum wage sales clerks. You guys are hilarious.

No, is the proper term. When you work in sales your job means you must learn your products. That sales rep failed to do so either because he does not care about his job, or because he does not care for the product. Either way he's just another who isn't going anywhere in life.
    But his company doesn't sell the 4G version. That doesn't make him an '' for not knowing.

It makes RIM the idiots for not getting product knowledge out to people on the floor. It's not his job to spend time outside of work researching all the hundreds of products in his department.
    Last edited by yaytoast; 09-17-12 at 11:15 AM.
    09-17-12 11:12 AM
    If you are a salesperson, nobody expects you to know everything! If you don't know, then just say so, or don't say anything.

Just because they make minimum wage, doesn't mean they should do their job any less. That makes no sense. I guess then it's ok to not expect good service or properly prepared food when you go to McDonald's. Or maybe for the one surgeon who doesn't make as much as the other, to perform your surgery with less care.

That doesn't mean they should lie, or give you wrong information. And if they don't know something, then say so or don't say anything at all! Very simple.
    Absolutely they shouldn't lie but there's a saying that in order to be a good salesman you have to be a good liar especially if your working off comission (car salesman real estate agent) I'm not saying its right it is just a fact of life.
    09-17-12 11:14 AM
    You're right esk369, it seems to be unfortunately true.
    09-17-12 11:18 AM
73 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD