I went to my local Best Buy to play with PB, I wanted to see how friendly they were to a total newby to all Tablets. I left quite frustrated and disappointed as the two PB's were not at all easy to get activated and no internet set up either as well as help from a knowledgable clerk was nonexistent.

I could not get either one to function.

RIM should be concerned that many others may well experience the same thing at other stores and somehow work out protocal with chain stores about having at one knowledgable person on hand and internet ready.

Next I stumbled upon the local Walmart display of PB and for whatever reason was able to get the screen active, push some icons, stumbled upon sliding across screen to make window smaller and 'see' behind. I do not own a touch screen so didn't have that to fall back on.

One thing a newby runs across is the feeling of being lost, not being able to get out of a screen and into something else. Which is something perhaps all Tablets should work on improving.

I don't remember seeing X icons to close windows nor - icons to minimize, I know, I know, that is PC but that may well be where new PB customers come from instead of mobile. I can imagine that mind set used in development.

Oh, and Walmart had no Internet either.

Just my thoughts and experiences,

MAW

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-13-11 10:48 AM
    So far every post I've read has the same complaint about Best Buy. I went to Best Buy in May to check out a Playbook. At first I wondered around trying to find one. I never could find one so I had to ask an associate where they were. The first associate took me where he thought they were but wasn't, so he sent to another person and asked. She didn't know either, so they looked it up on the computer. Once they figured out where in the store it was located, one of them took me to it and walked away. I was left on my own to figure it out and sell it to myself. I walked out disgusted with the sales people, frustrated with the Playbook, and wondering why Best Buy really didn't want to sale one.

Office Depot was where I ended up buying my Playbook. The salesperson knew where it was and showed me how it worked. I left and came back later and bought it. I've loved it ever since.
    07-13-11 10:03 PM
    I've seen a lot of complaints about this as well. I got mine at staples and the guy there showed me a lot even how to use the HDMI where he hooked it up to a big tv to show it's capabilities.
    Sad that these places can't run them properly, they shouldn't be selling them because they are just putting a sour taste in potential buyers mouths
    07-13-11 10:06 PM
    ya sad that 10/10 stores ive been to havent set the pb in demo mode (hence the screen goes of and ppl dont kno how to use it). ive gone in and fixed everyone bwhahhaha =)

#gorimgo
    07-13-11 10:12 PM
    i was pretty impressed with my best buy actually. They now have all the tabs minus the iPad in one section by the laptops. all up and running too, OS was uptodate on the PB also.
    07-14-11 05:19 AM
    Last week Best Buy took my PB back due to something they caused. This week I've gone to 3 different Best Buy's between home and work and not one of them were worth a damn.

I looked at Android, HP and PlayBook.

On a couple of Android devices I went to a website with Flash and Flash was not installed and I couldn't install it since there wasn't an account setup on the device.

WiFi was not setup on some devices.

In one store the PlayBook wasn't charged because the USB port was broken.

I went to ESPN on a couple of Android devices and played a video and it was poor at best. The captions were blurry. The "sales person" blamed it on the video and went to a You Tube video and played it in HQ and said "look how good this is". I told him I wasn't planning on watching You Tube videos all day. This was the same store that had the broken PlayBook so I couldn't show him the difference.

In all 3 stores they kept pushing the Android devices. Not on person tried to sell me a PlayBook, iPad or HP.
    07-14-11 05:40 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD