If anyone has experienced the theft of your playbook, you know it can be real emotional event.

I had mine stolen last week. I did have the security turned on, password protected. After 5 tries the playbook erases all data and becomes a zeroed out device. You can re-load all data and settings IF you backed it up, BlackBerry Desktop. I also had my serial number (kept the original box) my Blackberry ID.

All that being said, I don't want anyone to benefit from a new Playbook so I called BlackBerry Customer Support, 877-644-8405.

I was connected without a long wait and the Customer Rep professionally and quickly took all my information. She assured me that once the information was registered no one would be able to register this device nor receive any application downloads.

Further I was called in less than 10 minutes by another Customer Representative who sent me a verification email and asked for confirmation of S/N and other data. I sent that email back to him and was told that he would call me back later this week. Even better, they will call me if Anyone attempts to register or download any apps.

Now despite anyone's personal feelings about RIM, Playbook or Blackberry this is the kind of professional, business-like service one would expect from BlackBerry. I have another Playbook ordered and will have a new device this week.

If your device is stolen or lost, BlackBerry Customer Support will react quickly.
    jyuan, Canuck671, Cula and 46 others like this.
    06-18-12 08:43 AM
    I wish they would release BB Protect for the PlayBook! I know it's only WiFi but it would still be a helpful app if they connected it to the Internet...
    jafobabe, z1nsane, CDM76 and 6 others like this.
    06-18-12 09:02 AM
    BB Protect sounds like a good program, but when I tried to install it on my 9900, it said I wasnt allowed to because i've got BES on it. Anyone know why ?

OP maybe you can try doing video to your old playbook, and explain how useless the theif's playbook is now, and he;ll return it to you. lol then you'll have two !

thanks for the info anyway. Good luck to ya
    06-18-12 09:12 AM
    Great post, my PB was also stolen last week, I had it blocked and can confirm your post is accurate, they did all the same for me. Now lets hope it makes its way back to me somehow.....
    06-18-12 10:10 AM
    BB Protect sounds like a good program, but when I tried to install it on my 9900, it said I wasnt allowed to because i've got BES on it. Anyone know why ?
    You can't put protect on it because you have BES on it. The BES system probably has similar features to Protect. In addition, a corporation or a Govt, military organization would probably not want to have their data backed up by Protect and be able to be put on another device that may not have BES on it.
    yunvi likes this.
    06-18-12 10:31 AM

OP maybe you can try doing video to your old playbook, and explain how useless the theif's playbook is now, and he;ll return it to you. lol then you'll have two !

Contact your BES administrator who will tell you if and what security measures has been activated.

Video will not be possible as the OP had password protect on to prevent thief from using it and once RIM has blacklisted the PB, the device cannot be activated.
    06-18-12 11:11 AM

The BES administrator can do pretty much all the stuff you can do with BB Protect. If your BB is lost or stolen, contact your BES admin quickly, they may be able to work with you or the police to find it. Also, they can wipe and lock it so it is useless to anyone who may have it.
    06-18-12 11:15 AM
    That was a very unfortunate experience, but thanks for giving the support staff the credit they deserve. Many complain, but few give complements. I hope you get this resolved and get a new Playbook. Insurance is a great investment.
    BigAl_BB9900 and Cracklen like this.
    06-18-12 12:24 PM
    If anyone has experienced the theft of your playbook, you know it can be real emotional event.

I had mine stolen last week. I did have the security turned on, password protected. After 5 tries the playbook erases all data and becomes a zeroed out device. You can re-load all data and settings IF you backed it up, BlackBerry Desktop. I also had my serial number (kept the original box) my Blackberry ID.

All that being said, I don't want anyone to benefit from a new Playbook so I called BlackBerry Customer Support, 877-644-8405.

I was connected without a long wait and the Customer Rep professionally and quickly took all my information. She assured me that once the information was registered no one would be able to register this device nor receive any application downloads.

Further I was called in less than 10 minutes by another Customer Representative who sent me a verification email and asked for confirmation of S/N and other data. I sent that email back to him and was told that he would call me back later this week. Even better, they will call me if Anyone attempts to register or download any apps.

Now despite anyone's personal feelings about RIM, Playbook or Blackberry this is the kind of professional, business-like service one would expect from BlackBerry. I have another Playbook ordered and will have a new device this week.

If your device is stolen or lost, BlackBerry Customer Support will react quickly.
    Hopefully your efforts will prove fruitful. Mine didn't. I wouldn't have a Playbook anymore if it wasn't for the great people here at this forum who donated this 64gb one in my hands to me. And except for an email telling me it was my last chance to ask any questions about their investigation I haven't received anything from them about it since the initial reporting and locking down of my device. Sadly the person who stole mine probably broke it open for the battery, so he could use it to make meth. Would explain why it's never popped up, why he never tried to register it.

And unless there is a setting on yours to drop it to 5 tries,it's 10 tries then it wipes itself.
    06-18-12 02:59 PM
    A BlackBerry smartphone associated with a BlackBerry Enterprise Server is backed up to their account on the BlackBerry Enterprise Server. Not all the configurations, settings, data, and applications are backed up though in conjunction with BlackBerry AppWorld you can be back up and running within the time it takes to reactivate the smartphone and re-install all your applications from BlackBerry AppWorld. Whenever Research In Motion rolls out the "corporate applications" enhancement to BlackBerry AppWorld you can re-install whatever additional applications your organization has authorized to be on the smartphone. In summary, with a smartphone activated on a BlackBerry Enterprise Server there is no need for BlackBerry Protect. BlackBerry Protect is meant for the consumer-grade BlackBerry smartphone user. And yes it would be nice if BlackBerry PlayBooks could use BlackBerry Protect for those without BlackBerry Enterprise Server and BlackBerry Mobile Fusion.

In my opinion, BlackBerry Protect should provide a complete backup of the devices in light of the acquisition by RIM of the cloud service provider in Ireland. A monthly full backup plus daily/weekly incremental backups would eliminate most of the raison d'etre of BlackBerry Desktop Software and simply users' lives. Everything tied to your BlackBerry ID.
    06-18-12 03:21 PM
    Sorry to hear some piece of trash stole your PlayBook. I hope they try to register it and are stupid enough to give their real info. I am backing mine up now since reading your post.
    06-18-12 03:41 PM
    OP, that was my experience also with RIM. They were sympathetic, courteous and prompt at shutting it down. I have always had stellar exchanges with RIM, answering questions, explaining how to do something, etc. Great company experience for me also.
    06-18-12 03:48 PM

The main thing missing from some BES servers is GPS locate. I use the app WhereAreYou in that case.
    06-18-12 06:13 PM
    I wish they would release BB Protect for the PlayBook! I know it's only WiFi but it would still be a helpful app if they connected it to the Internet...
    It would be even better if BB Protect required a password to disable...
    06-18-12 06:44 PM
    It would be even better if BB Protect required a password to disable...
    I know, I find it mind blowing. I just put protect in hide mode so no one can see it lol...
    CDM76 and Cancross like this.
    06-18-12 08:05 PM

Yes, I like your story
    06-18-12 08:17 PM
    I called RIM this past weekend and they were fastidiously helpful. Called me back when they said they would with all the info I needed.

Hope you get it back OP.
    06-19-12 04:31 PM

Sorry about your loss, hope you get another one.

Thanks for sharing that you were treated very well and received good customer support.

That helps RIMM and us the customers!
    06-19-12 05:53 PM
    Hopefully your efforts will prove fruitful. Mine didn't. I wouldn't have a Playbook anymore if it wasn't for the great people here at this forum who donated this 64gb one in my hands to me. And except for an email telling me it was my last chance to ask any questions about their investigation I haven't received anything from them about it since the initial reporting and locking down of my device. Sadly the person who stole mine probably broke it open for the battery, so he could use it to make meth. Would explain why it's never popped up, why he never tried to register it.

And unless there is a setting on yours to drop it to 5 tries,it's 10 tries then it wipes itself.
    wow lucky you to have gotten another one donated! I'm still holding out hopes that mine will get returned to me somehow since having it blocked, so sad that it got stolen.
    06-20-12 09:15 AM
    can i get the rim response no. for oman
    04-18-13 02:54 AM

you have that IT s h i t policy ...factory reset with DM will fix that
    04-18-13 06:45 AM
    BES does the same thing natively: there's no need for BlackBerry Protect. Why would you recommend blowing out the settings when the device more than likely isn't owned by the user???
    04-18-13 07:14 AM
    On my phone, the lock screen can be set to show my contact info (and it does) in the hopes that if I lose the phone it might find its way back to me. On the playbook, I don't believe there's an equivalent function. Is there? If it's lost, how would someone ever know how to get it back to you?
    04-18-13 09:39 AM
    On my phone, the lock screen can be set to show my contact info (and it does) in the hopes that if I lose the phone it might find its way back to me. On the playbook, I don't believe there's an equivalent function. Is there? If it's lost, how would someone ever know how to get it back to you?
    While somewhat limited, what I did was create my own wallpaper and in the upper corner placed an email address. Problem, if in the Portrait mode, the address does not show. Obviously, one could tweak the location but then it dominates the wallpaper.
    04-18-13 09:56 AM
    While somewhat limited, what I did was create my own wallpaper and in the upper corner placed an email address. Problem, if in the Portrait mode, the address does not show. Obviously, one could tweak the location but then it dominates the wallpaper.
    I have my contact information taped inside the cover. You can use a business card. To increase your chances of getting it returned add a "Reward" notice.
    04-18-13 03:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD