Ok so I'm back with BlackBerry - just bought a q10, and used to have an ipad.

My q10 is my only real device at the moment as my laptop has packed in. I do social media work so all I really need is browsing and good social media apps (just fb and twitter).

My ipad was great, but at the time I had an iPhone? So I found myself simply browsing etc on my iPhone - rarely used the ipad as it was just a big iPhone?!

I can pick a playbook with large hardrive for just 100 here in the UK. Is it still worth it?

Can't have a play on one because no retail stores stock it anymore.

Help needed! Thanks guys

Posted via CB10
    09-04-13 08:12 AM
    I use my PlayBook with my 9930. Soon my q10. Using bridge is awesome. Browsing is great. Gaming with BlackBerry games is good. I also play android, commodore 64 and snes. Being able to file transfer is very cool as well. I'd get one if I was you. Go for it!!
    09-04-13 08:22 AM
    The PlayBook is a great tablet for browsing and works great with BlackBerry OS 7 bridge . The problem pairing with the Q10 is you will have just Internet thru the bridge and you will be able to use the Q10 screen as a mouse track pad. That's all , no more other functions. If that's enough for you then go ahead and buy it, $100 is a tempting price. Native Facebook app is not that good but you can sideload the android app. For Twitter I recommend Black is a great twitter app. Not sure what to tell you, I like it and use it every day but if I will not have one maybe I will go for something else with better app selection.

Posted via CB10
    SavvyBB likes this.
    09-04-13 08:38 AM
    No, don't do it. It's a dead device, no more support, no more updates, no one is developing for it any more (I'm a developer with an app in App World for PB and it barely scrapes 1 or 2 downloads a day now). Facebook app on PlayBook is severely broken and barely functional (so many features are missing or not working), there is no native twitter app except 3rd party, browser is slow and jerky and BB isn't going to update it with the nicer BB10 one. The PlayBook had so much potential but BB simply let it die on the vine.

Save your money and get a Nexus 7 or Samsung tab. I sold my PB and have a Nexus 7 now, there's simply no comparison. You will be let down by the PlayBook, believe me, I was a big believer but I've moved on.
    09-04-13 08:50 AM
    I guess I hear what your saying. I am still a fan. Probably because I still hook up my c64c and play it every few months. I just enjoy old school stuff. If and when I need a tablet for my job or for up to date technology I will move on. However I will always enjoy my PlayBook. Everybody is different. It has a niche for for people in different ways.
    SavvyBB likes this.
    09-04-13 09:07 AM

My q10 is my only real device at the moment as my laptop has packed in. I do social media work so all I really need is browsing and good social media apps (just fb and twitter).

My ipad was great, but at the time I had an iPhone? So I found myself simply browsing etc on my iPhone - rarely used the ipad as it was just a big iPhone?!

I can pick a playbook with large hardrive for just 100 here in the UK. Is it still worth it?

Help needed! Thanks guys

Posted via CB10
    Welcome to the forum.
    If you currently have an ipad, I do not see the need to get a Playbook since the full functionality of bridge is gone with BB10 devices. However, if money is not an issue and as you say I assume 64G just 100 pounds is pretty good price. Just know that Playbook is as is. No update or upgrade will be coming. It's a 2 year old tablet but still relevant today. The hdmi outlet to connect to your large screen tv . Respectable back and front camera. To me the swipe gesture of the playbook is the most natural UI to adapt. I wish other tablets adopt it. Let us know what you decide.
    09-04-13 09:30 AM
    Remember there are no more "new" Playbooks. Only units that haven't been sold yet. Batteries don't last forever and the Playbook does not have a user replaceable battery. Those that already have Playbooks should get the most use out of them they can. Those who don't have Playbooks should look elsewhere. There is no more development for the Playbook. No more updates, patches, etc. The format will just slowly fade away.
    StLouisMan2 likes this.
    09-04-13 09:47 AM
    I own a 64Gb Playbook and I love it to bits. And even though the end is looming for the device, I can always see myself having a use for mine, if only at the very least as a very capable portable media player on steroids.

For example how much does a 64Gb iPod cost? �300+ or so? How much does a 64Gb Playbook cost? Like you say, �100. Plus you get a HDMI A/V output too.

If you accept the Playbook for what it is, �100 seems like a fair price to me.
    SavvyBB and FF22 like this.
    09-04-13 10:07 AM
    If you said you just got the ZED I would have said you probably won't use it much but with the Q you might because smaller screen but for $100 grab it and if you don't like it you can pass on to friends or relative who doesn't have QorZ who will get ALOT of fun and use out of it.
    09-04-13 01:45 PM
    Remember there are no more "new" Playbooks. Batteries don't last forever and the Playbook does not have a user replaceable battery.
    I have a 2-1/2 year old PlayBook, and its battery is about as good as it ever was. I have another 1-1/2 year old. PlayBook, and as I haven't used it much (it's a backup unit in case this one dies) its battery is as good as new. Unsold is not the same thing as old.
    09-04-13 10:19 PM
    Don't do it! You'll fall in love and it will break your heart.
    Ealaionta likes this.
    09-04-13 11:03 PM
    Sorry guys, I meant I used to have an ipad.

Got rid of it as I didn't use it when I had the iPhone. Regretting that now. To be honest what's dragging me towards to playbook is its hardware. Blackberry and apple build quality are second to none.

You pick up the samsung galaxy tab thing, and it doesn't even feel like a 100 product?! You know with apple and blackberry they will last.

Thoughts now I've said that? An ipad is out of my budget.

And thanks for the welcomes!

Posted via CB10
    09-05-13 02:13 AM
    Is this the hardware with usb port made of cheese, charging circuit that needs teasing back i to life over hours if you leave it on standby too long, a camera that can be wrecked 4003 by a simple OS upgrade, a battery strap that goes open circuit if the screws come loose, a screen that goes stripey, and is so heavy that the ebook reader has to be used on a stand.
    Heavy not necessarily quality.
    Most playbooks now will be returns, surplus stock doing the rounds like unwanted christmas talc. Too many people complaining their "new" playbook needs wiping or will not charge.
    Last edited by jarviser; 09-05-13 at 03:01 AM.
    09-05-13 02:49 AM

Help needed! Thanks guys

Posted via CB10
    No, at this point I don't see a reason to buy a PlayBook, the bridge connection with OS10 is like ****, no use at all. You'd better find some branded android tablet for around 200$.

Posted via CB10
    09-05-13 04:05 AM
    I still use my 2 PBs everyday. At work, I listen to music and sometimes watch videos, I surf on websites that are forbidden on our network (like Ebay), I look at some pictures taken when I was on vacations and I cry, I check the weather, I...
    I use them a lot
    And I take one with my on vacations all the time, I use the wifi at the hotels to surf and check my mail, freedom from all the internet cafes
    Oh, and I watch videos while on the plane or before falling asleep, the PB accepts so many video formats it's great
    FF22 likes this.
    09-05-13 06:34 AM
    As long as you know the limitations of the pb, no additional OS updates (some might suggest something MIGHT COME - forget it), limited array of apps but there are still good ones and read the comments above - your call.
    09-05-13 09:06 AM
    While you keep in mind playbook WAS a good but dead device from a dead company all will go OK.

I'm moved from playbook limitations to 7 inch android device and sun shines again.

Since this would be my last post I just want to thank you all for the support these months. Life goes on.

Thank you.
    FF22 likes this.
    09-05-13 09:22 AM
    I bought a 64 GB PB via Amazon for USD$199 and it holds all my ITunes music, tons of photos, super HD Video and books, link to my Google email, calendar, etc and the Wi-Fi is super fast. My only problem has been transferring data from a Windows 8 PC so I use my XP to for PB business. Except for that, there is nothing wrong with the Playbook. For 100 British Pounds - no brainer! I also have the Z10 and it's a wonderful phone, even getting some Android Apps.
    On a separate note, I am deeply disturbed about the state of BBRY - and it's all the previous managments fault. When the fish stinks, it starts from the head first...
    09-05-13 10:16 AM
    I don't know. I so much wanted to get a PB. I just today put money into my Visa, ready to buy and stopped myself after reading the other thread about the dead battery. It seems the only left PBs on Amazon are defective and/or returned units... Damn. I love BBRY but guess have to buy another tablet. But not going to switch my phone for nothing.
    09-05-13 11:10 AM
    I would say go for it. I haven't had any complaints with my Playbook. If you'll be using it specifically for the browser, facebook and twitter it will be a great tablet for you. Plus it's a Blackberry product. Show some love haha.
    09-05-13 11:13 AM
    Haha David, very true. I might get one I think. Like I said I just do not feel samsungs build quality is up to much, and that screen on the 7inch one, jeeeeez!

Posted via CB10
    09-05-13 01:08 PM
    No!!!!!!!!
    09-05-13 01:10 PM
    Haha, do you own one? What's your issues with it? Realistically has anyone got both a 7inch samsung tab and playbook - could someone give me some honest, none bias pointers?

Posted via CB10
    09-05-13 01:11 PM
    Blackberry world vs google play enough said. One officially left for dead the other the latest hardware and it's actually supported.

No brainier really.
    09-05-13 01:17 PM
    I love my PlayBook and use it every day, mostly for reading. I also occasionally watch movies and listen to music. If a family member asked me if they should buy a PlayBook I'm afraid I would say No simply for the fact that BlackBerry is done with it. I have no idea what support we can expect in the future and I'm guessing most developers will be spending their time elsewhere. I'm also wondering what will happen as technology changes. The PlayBook is already over 2 years old and will not be anything more than it is right now. If those things aren't a concern to you then the PlayBook is a useful little tablet that does many things well. Only you can decide if it's right for you.
    FF22 likes this.
    09-05-13 02:58 PM
26 12