Enough with skype already...there are more important things going on at RIM right now than getting skype. This topic along with net...I mean netflix is getting old.
    Actually, you are wrong, the lack of these types of apps IS WHAT IS WRONG with BB's and there dismal reputation, it's as simple as that. I could pretty much guarantee that if BB's had the same line-up of apps that people want then RIM would not be in this massive of a hole. Just look at why people buy iphones and androids and don't even look at BB's anymore, it's cause they have want they want in 2012.
    05-30-12 03:36 PM
    I was in the camp that who the f@?I needs SKYPE. But as someone who has recently joined a company that uses Skype for messaging and video calls. I'm now in a position of getting a new Android phone or tablet as I travel alot and I need to be connected. So I can't do that via the playbook or blackberry phone.

I love my playbook and I love my blackberry phone and BBM. But with regret I may have to change devices.

PLEASE release some Skype solution soon.

Thanks
    06-04-12 09:34 PM
    ys da ya da .. How many times do we need these Skype threads.
    The mods should make a sticky: "I WANT skype"

If you want Skype make a petition to Microsoft:
    It’s official: Microsoft now owns Skype | The Microsoft Blog - seattlepi.com
    They control access and want'a keep it for themselves.
    06-04-12 10:04 PM
    Hmm; let's put it into perspective shall we. The Xbox360 launched in 2001 and it is only now scheduled to get Internet Explorer - Microsoft's own browser on it - so I think the chances are good that we will see Skype for the Playbook by the year 2024.
    FF22 likes this.
    06-04-12 10:25 PM
    hahahahaha but at least xbox has netflix and hulu
    Darlaten likes this.
    06-04-12 11:54 PM
    Hmm; let's put it into perspective shall we. The Xbox360 launched in 2001 and it is only now scheduled to get Internet Explorer - Microsoft's own browser on it - so I think the chances are good that we will see Skype for the Playbook by the year 2024.
    Do you think we might HEAR it a bit sooner?
    06-05-12 12:58 AM
    guys ..i read it alot ....skype wouldn't be a native app just like twitter and msn ..

u will add skype account into the contacts..and then it will be added up in the video chat..as well as the msn and yahoo contacts..

um familiar with that coz i have the same thing on my Nokia N900 ( Skype )
    06-05-12 01:07 AM
    Are you for real???

Know what i would love to be available soon?

An ejection button for every freakin yahoo who feels they need to post about "waaaaa I want Skype...the BB is no good without it. My life is over, the horror of it all.

EJECT you from the planet so we dont have to hear your useless dithering and wining anymore...

Just get a freakin iPhone and shut the @+@+ up.

Its your useless drivel that brings out the "doesnt microsoft own skype" and starts it all over again.

go get your nails done panzy and give us a break on the skype or netflix posts.

damn...idiots!!!!!!!
    Somebody hasn't had their meds today.

Personally I enjoy seeing voiced opinions that not only reflect what the owners want in the device they paid money for, but I really enjoy seeing opinions that reflect the general overall attitude of the consumer market and invalidates what a scant few fanbois feel that would actually harm sales if rim took them seriously.

How well would a device sell that had no popular apps or games (neither tools NOR toys) and never had new features the consumers desired developed and added? Sometimes I feel that as long as it was a rectangular piece of black plastic with a slab of glass on one side and the blackberry logo on the other, and did nothing but blink a red led, the fanbois crowd would cheer it and tell those screwed out of their money "it's fine the way it is, you shouldn't have bought it if you wanted a feature packed device that worked!"
    06-05-12 09:51 AM
    Somebody hasn't had their meds today.

Personally I enjoy seeing voiced opinions that not only reflect what the owners want in the device they paid money for, but I really enjoy seeing opinions that reflect the general overall attitude of the consumer market and invalidates what a scant few fanbois feel that would actually harm sales if rim took them seriously.

How well would a device sell that had no popular apps or games (neither tools NOR toys) and never had new features the consumers desired developed and added? Sometimes I feel that as long as it was a rectangular piece of black plastic with a slab of glass on one side and the blackberry logo on the other, and did nothing but blink a red led, the fanbois crowd would cheer it and tell those screwed out of their money "it's fine the way it is, you shouldn't have bought it if you wanted a feature packed device that worked!"
    How are people screwed that bought the Playbook? Because Skype isn't out as of yet? Maybe people should have done their homework if they are b!tching about not having skype or they bought the Playbook AFTER the skype in appworld pic was taken down.

Buyer beware is my motto, I do my homework to see if it has or doesn't have things. If people didn't do their homework, and they bought a Playbook expecting Skype or NetFlix, sucks to be them for not doing their due diligence.

The Playbook does NOT have to be like an Android or iOS and follow through with all kinds of apps. As I have said before, apps are nice to have, but are not a necessity to survive.

Most people I bet that have ipads and android tablets probably use skype less on the tablet than they do on a Win/Mac based computer system. It is a luxury to have apps like Skype, but is NOT a need despite what people say they need.
    06-05-12 10:02 AM
    Xtasha? Has found skype, yahoo, man etc hidden files in the beta. He knows his stuff!
    06-05-12 11:00 AM
    Xtasha? Has found skype, yahoo, man etc hidden files in the beta. He knows his stuff!
    And that is because they are moving to integrating Skype into the contact list and video chat.

With the exception of the October OS2 launch (which was a go right up until the day it was announced) I have had bang on info all the way along. Skype is coming, its just a matter of when. And unfortunately what certain people don't realize, with the advancement with Cascades, some developers have been holding off, and with BB10 os for the playbook probably by mid to late summer or early fall, might as well have it in action with the BB10 and Skype
    kbz1960 likes this.
    06-05-12 11:09 AM
    I can care less about skype but really want messengers that don't time out and give notifications.
    06-05-12 11:11 AM
    The Playbook does NOT have to be like an Android or iOS and follow through with all kinds of apps.
    ..and following that business model has got RIM in the trouble its in. First reported operational loss, share price in the toilet, discussions of selling the company, etc.
    06-05-12 11:27 AM
    How are people screwed that bought the Playbook? Because Skype isn't out as of yet? Maybe people should have done their homework if they are b!tching about not having skype or they bought the Playbook AFTER the skype in appworld pic was taken down.
    When I was doing my research re: purchasing a tablet, one of the big pluses for me was that RIM Execs had spouted off that the PB would have Skype (fortunately not having Skype yet has not been a deal breaker for me - though Skype would still be very useful)

I have used BlackBerry devices for over 8 years, I had a lot of brand loyalty to BlackBerry - I, along with many, many others, did not think that BlackBerry would abuse my goodwill by stating that Skype would be on the PlayBook, and then not delivering to their promises

People have a right to b*tch, they have been misled, and their trust has been abused
    06-05-12 11:29 AM
    When I was doing my research re: purchasing a tablet, one of the big pluses for me was that RIM Execs had spouted off that the PB would have Skype (fortunately not having Skype yet has not been a deal breaker for me - though Skype would still be very useful)

I have used BlackBerry devices for over 8 years, I had a lot of brand loyalty to BlackBerry - I, along with many, many others, did not think that BlackBerry would abuse my goodwill by stating that Skype would be on the PlayBook, and then not delivering to their promises

People have a right to b*tch, they have been misled, and their trust has been abused
    Care to throw a link please and thanks!!!
    06-05-12 11:45 AM
    LOL yeah they never stated Skype would be on the PlayBook
    mandony likes this.
    06-05-12 12:27 PM
    In the picture there was a plain as day skype icon on the screen.
    06-05-12 12:30 PM
    LOL yeah they never stated Skype would be on the PlayBook
    They didn't verbalize the words, "skype will be on the playbook". You are right. They showed pictures of a playbook whose homescreen had the skype video chat icon on it. Which, I am afraid, is tantamount to the same thing.

If you saw an advertisement of a new car and a price listed under it, you have a legal right to assume that the car in the picture is what is being sold. If you showed up to the dealership and wrote a check for that amount, and they pulled up a different car and said "there you go," well, yea, you have an issue you can argue.

There was no disclaimer in the images released by RIM regarding apps shown therein.
    06-05-12 01:01 PM
    Care to throw a link please and thanks!!!
    Hi Oniberry

Unfortunately no idea where the link would be....

I originally saw (online) RIM Execs spouting off about the PlayBook at one of the big conventions prior to the original PB launch - this same guy also mentioned DLNA in the same interview

Other CB members have referred to the same interview(s) in posts before - so I definitely wasn't hallucinating!

Of course, they didn't say explicitly that Skype & DLNA would be there at launch - people like me just assumed the functionality would be there from day one. I believe the term is economical with the truth....

Also.... I was working at Reuters prior to the original PB launch - and some of the RIM marketing blurb we received (this may have been draft, and not for release - I can't remember) had Skype logos on it
    06-05-12 01:09 PM
    No worries. It's not the first time I have heard the same thing. I was just curious, not trying to be difficult or anything. Just thought you would have a link handy.

Cheers,

Sent from my fingers on a 9900 using Tapatalk
    06-05-12 03:13 PM
    Hi Oniberry - I don't tend to go out of my way to save links - I just noted the information (Skype, Docs to Go, DLNA, etc) and carried on with my research

I have a sneaking feeling that Skype will turn up on the PB someday, probably as a BB10 app (Skype is available on BB9xxx phones, and is certainly a selling point for the carriers who allow it), or maybe even as some whizzy HTML5 gizmo. But hey, what do I know?!

Cheers,

Alex
    06-05-12 04:51 PM
    ...Buyer beware is my motto, I do my homework to see if it has or doesn't have things. If people didn't do their homework, and they bought a Playbook expecting Skype or NetFlix, sucks to be them for not doing their due diligence.

The Playbook does NOT have to be like an Android or iOS and follow through with all kinds of apps. As I have said before, apps are nice to have, but are not a necessity to survive.

Most people I bet that have ipads and android tablets probably use skype less on the tablet than they do on a Win/Mac based computer system. It is a luxury to have apps like Skype, but is NOT a need despite what people say they need.
    If we're talking about what is necessary to survive, how long would RIM last with an attitude that focuses only on what's "necessary to survive", and forsakes the things that are "nice to have"?

And I agree...consumer due diligence is important, but if the product is lacking, that due diligence can drive consumers away. An important consideration, if RIM wants to keep the lights on.
    Last edited by litig8or98; 06-06-12 at 07:25 PM.
    Haseleyman and FF22 like this.
    06-05-12 06:34 PM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD