i asked alec and he said he could not comment
    i would love skype to be available soon,hopefully bb10 will bring that to us...
    05-29-12 05:54 PM
    And this merited a whole new thread... why?
    cdelcampo216 likes this.
    05-29-12 06:02 PM
    Op I know you're anxious, but lets wait till BB10 gets here before we keep adding
    to the 100 Skype threads on this forum.
    We all pretty much know there's no chance of a Skype app until BB10 is here.
    05-29-12 06:09 PM
    do you have a feeling we will get skype one day or another?
    i just want bb10 to be released,i cant wait,2.1 isnt even out yet
    05-29-12 06:14 PM
    If I'd had that reply from Alec, my thread title would have been: "Alec doesn't say that there won't be Skype available for the Playbook"... but I guess some people are more "glass half empty" types of people.

Si.
    05-29-12 06:27 PM
    haha my optimism depends what mood im in
    usually im a half full guy but i havent been in the best of moods latley so yes at the moment im half empty
    05-29-12 06:31 PM
    What difference does it make? Half full, half empty? It is HALF regardless (c)
    ralfyguy likes this.
    05-29-12 06:47 PM
    half full your not botherd,half empty you want a refill
    05-29-12 06:49 PM
    Doesn't Microsoft now own Skype, I would guess they want to retain it for proprietary use on MS mobile. Anyone got thoughts on this? Does Apple allow Skype access to iphone? Android?

Additonal: is Skype on Android, if it is, can it be side loaded onto pb?
    Last edited by mawil1013; 05-29-12 at 07:29 PM.
    05-29-12 07:06 PM
    This issue used to bother me but you know what. Most of the time someone video chats me I never answer it. Why? Because I always seem to be unshaven, in my undies or on the can

Guess I am a slob.
    BB_Bmore and flyberry747 like this.
    05-29-12 07:11 PM
    Enough with skype already...there are more important things going on at RIM right now than getting skype. This topic along with net...I mean netflix is getting old.
    Thunderbuck and musical1806 like this.
    05-29-12 07:12 PM
    Doesn't Microsoft now own Skype, I would guess they want to retain it for proprietary use on MS mobile. Anyone got thoughts on this? Does Apple allow Skype access to iphone? Android?
    No, they don't. The value of Skype is in it being cross-platform. They don't want to kill something they bought for almost 9 billion dollars.

And yes, all major platforms have Skype.
    05-29-12 07:14 PM
    And yes, all major platforms have Skype.
    Apart from blackberry -___-
    05-29-12 07:28 PM
    Apart from blackberry -___-
    Apparently not. Blackberrys on Verizon have Skype (though not much useful due to the lack of front facing cameras).
    05-29-12 07:32 PM
    Additonal: is Skype on Android, if it is, can it be side loaded onto pb?
    Yes, Skype has been on Android for quite some time. It cannot be sideloaded at present as Android apps can't access the camera and microphone.

This may change when 2.1 is released. We will all know in a little while.

In any case, I will wait for a native solution. Not a fan of OS emulation.
    derflynn and ralfyguy like this.
    05-29-12 07:37 PM
    I have an idea.

If everybody wants skype pays a dollar to skype they should raise enough cash to be able get an app made. Someone email them and tell them to set an account up.
    JayR2010 and ralfyguy like this.
    05-30-12 04:19 AM
    I think it's a good sign that Alec's not commenting on Skype. It could mean that they are in high level talks and don't want to give any update until the deal is done. Which will hopefully be very soon. Before BB10 I hope.
    05-30-12 04:31 AM
    i asked alec and he said he could not comment
    i would love skype to be available soon,hopefully bb10 will bring that to us...
    Ok seriously... there is something called "SEARCH" on Crackberry.

Skype IS COMING... it will NOT be a native app per say, it will be integrated with the contact list AND the RIM Native Video Chat....

And yes, I do have my source at RIM who is one of the network engineers working on the backend NOC
    Barljo, ralfyguy, miroozy and 1 others like this.
    05-30-12 08:01 AM
    I'm gonna just say it... What good is having duel cameras if you can only video chat with people who have other PlayBook? If Skype doesn't come, then please give us Yahoo, MSN, Digsby, Imo, something!!! Please...

On a REALLY positive note : Shooting video on the PlayBook does work great!

You see?... Take the good stuff with the bad...
    05-30-12 08:29 AM
    Yes, Skype has been on Android for quite some time. It cannot be sideloaded at present as Android apps can't access the camera and microphone.

This may change when 2.1 is released. We will all know in a little while.

In any case, I will wait for a native solution. Not a fan of OS emulation.
    Could be a long wait.
    05-30-12 09:11 AM
    I'm currently have a native app in the making that will have a capability of calling Skype contacts. It is currently able to call anyone on Skype, but I'm struggling to build a nice UI using the Native SDK. Now it looks like this: Attachment 111177. I hope to release a working build in June.
    05-30-12 09:29 AM
    I'm currently have a native app in the making that will have a capability of calling Skype contacts. It is currently able to call anyone on Skype, but I'm struggling to build a nice UI using the Native SDK. Now it looks like this: Attachment 111177. I hope to release a working build in June.
    Do you need any beta testers?
    05-30-12 10:00 AM
    Not yet, have a lot of known problems to get a list of not yet known problems now
    05-30-12 10:02 AM
    Do you need any beta testers?
    I volunteer as well, and I personally don't mind how the UI looks like. If it functions correctly and I am able to get in contact with my family in Europe, that is all that matters to me.
    Count me in, and I will pay for the app as well.
    05-30-12 10:10 AM
    Count me in for beta testing too - I would be privileged to be involved.
    05-30-12 10:50 AM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD