Ok it's great to have an update... however most of the new features seem to me not like novelties but rather like normal functions that should have been there from the beginning. The email app turning vertical for instance.

At the same time, some basic functions are still missing :

- No MMS support in bridge
    - No proper folders view from all apps
    - No complete reliable IMAP support
    - No support for widespread codecs

If you are not provincial minded you can also note this :

- No podcast app for Europe
    - No keyboards for Asia

BB certainly will be enjoyable, but... what will it bring that won't be available in any other OS at that time... and is there a guarantee that it will bring all the normal functions you can reasonably expect ? I recently updated a Nokia phone with the supposedly obsolete Symbian OS, and, well, sincerely it looks cleaner than this.
    10-05-12 04:03 AM
    im not using bridge as i dont have a bb phone..
    But you listed one problem that really bugs me since day one.
    Its the build in filemanager or more like "view everything on the bp in one folder". Its a pain in the *** to upload stuff with the native email app or browser.
    Only because of this i have a android email and browser app installed because with them i can use the great android filemanger Ghost Commander to select files from the app.

Another problem that really is annoying is the missing option to open files with different apps, again something that is working perfectly in the android runtime, it even supports to open files from a android app with a native pb app but not the other way arround.

I love my playbook and use it every day, would never switch to an android tap as i would miss multitask a alot and i dont need the not available apps like netflix or skype, but it annoys me that such basic stuff is still not fixed and probably wont be before we (if we) get bb10.
    10-05-12 07:49 AM
    im not using bridge as i dont have a bb phone..
    Its a pain in the *** to upload stuff with the native email app or browser.
    Only because of this i have a android email and browser app installed because with them i can use the great android filemanger Ghost Commander to select files from the app.

You can use Ghost to attach a file to an email in the native Messages app. You just have to navigate to a file you want to attach in Ghost, press and hold on the file, choose "Send to", then select "Messages". Messages will then open in the compose view with the file attached. Using Ghost, you can only attach one file this way. Multiple files can be attached (they must be in the same folder, though) in a similar way using ES File Explorer.
    esk369 likes this.
    10-05-12 08:26 AM
    You can use Ghost to attach a file to an email in the native Messages app. You just have to navigate to a file you want to attach in Ghost, press and hold on the file, choose "Send to", then select "Messages". Messages will then open in the compose view with the file attached. Using Ghost, you can only attach one file this way. Multiple files can be attached (they must be in the same folder, though) in a similar way using ES File Explorer.
    Thank you very much for this workaround.

It's true, I was shocked about such basics missing even in 2.0 and now still in 2.1. Goes along with unable to sort files, no bookmarks management (my JavaME based Opera on my Phone can do that !). And I was wondering how such an incomplete Operating System would match RIM's reputation as business focused company.

Controlling files/data is an OS job, I wonder why I should use a 3rd party app to work around. email/calender/contacts is a business critical functionality, why such late introduction and half baken implementation.

I only forgive them because of their struggle to keep in market, so they focus on BB10. But they really must deliver with BB10. Go, RIM. I want something professional to be able to avoid i.solatedOS and Spydroid.

Ray
    10-05-12 08:48 AM
    I use my PlayBook on a daily basis and I have never needed those things, except for the file manager but I downloaded Air Browser that has been in App World since day one! You complaint about MMS I have never ever send one of this from my phone, so no need for that, besides here in Colombia is all BBM, Whatsapp or Viber so if I want to send media I'll use on of those or an email. I only send SMS to those who still have "dumb" phones. And one thing that you should ask yourself is why complaint about MMS on Bridge when no one, and I mean NO ONE, else has something like Bridge. For me Bridge is a blessing.
    10-05-12 09:12 AM
    Bridge is a wonderful thing. If this is it until BlackBerry10, ill have no problem enjoying my tablet until then.
    Toodeurep likes this.
    10-05-12 10:35 AM
    As one of my pet peeves, I canNOT disagree with the failure of the "file manager" or file handler on the pb to do some tasks that have been around on all other platforms forever. It is a major failing and I hope that they eventually address it in bb10 but I'm not holding my breath. The almost complete absence of any way to deal with FOLDERS is truly stupid! It is as if someone at rim does not use attachments and/or folders and figures the rest of us don't need it either.
    10-05-12 10:39 AM
    Agree with the files and folders issue, so I downloaded Files & Folders soon after it became available. I especially like its integration with Dropbox, et al. Other issues that get to me:

• Ability to choose where to save a download (I have to go into the Download folder after-the-fact and manually move PDFs, DOCs, etc.)
    • Adobe Reader: next to useless, so I use Android qPDF
    • inability to map shortcuts to programs: in the Android VM, the OS asks me what PDF program I want to use, but the PBOS launches Adobe Reader with no choices
    • program shortcuts to more than one folder (I started keeping all my Android apps in an Android folder, but now find that some programs are better sorted to other folders such as Utils - I'd like some programs to show up in more than one place)
    • ability to rename a folder: If I want to change the name, I have to create a new folder and drag/drop programs to the new folder
    • keyboard mapping: I use ampersand a lot but it's buried two clicks into the keyboard, I also use hyphen a lot (sometimes it's there and other times not) - it would be nice to be able to swap frequently used keys to the top-level keyboard
    • control the screen blank period: The number of times I need to type my password each day drives me crazy. I'd like to choose a longer timeout period.

Some things that I'm used to on my 9800 will become available in BB10 such as the ability to email a webpage, so I eagerly await Q1 2013! That said, I'm still a happy camper with my PlayBook which I've had since April 2011.
    karen qpdf likes this.
    10-05-12 11:24 AM
    Bridge is kind of great only. No MMS, no calls, no proper management of contacts...

On my Android tab I don't have bridge but I have tethering, and numerous Android apps to take care of that.

Oh and I have DLNA too by the way. I can play movies directly from my Android tab to my HDTV. Wasn't DLNA evoked for the pb at some time ? Oh well, never mind...
    10-05-12 01:40 PM
    Don't compare Bridge to tethering, they are not the same thing. Bridge brings some functions of the phone inside the Playbook, sms, contact management, BBM, calendar, memos, tasks, etc. It also allows the Playbook to act as a wireless viewer for "Open On" pictures, web sites, etc.

An example would be: Tethering uses the phones data connection to access a file from the cloud that the phone sent. In this example, twice the bandwidth was consumed to get the picture. When Bridged, simply choose "Open On".

P.S. One cannot forget the Remote control functions either.
    rotorwrench and SK122387 like this.
    10-05-12 02:25 PM
    Unfortunately I'm thinking we're pretty much stuck with 2.1 until they convert PBOS to BB10.
    10-05-12 02:29 PM
    Yes sure but there are numerous apps on Android, that can do a lot of things with tethering...
    10-05-12 02:30 PM
    Yes sure but there are numerous apps on Android, that can do a lot of things with tethering...
    But as many bashers have previously complained when that argument is used for the PB, it's still not native and not as smooth. Works both ways. Needing a handful of apps to perform what the PB does natively does make for a different experience. Do a side a side-by with someone with an Android phone and tablet tethered. I have, a GSlll and a G Tab, several times over two days that belonged to a house guest of ours. No comparison, and being on VZW they were paying for another plan. Sometimes it was clunky in opening and interface and sometimes halfway decent but nowhere as smooth and fast as the PB and my 9930, nor the features. Still no Open-On-PB style android app that performs anywhere like it should, nor as quick or smooth either. But I know you'll disagree, that's why I say try it yourself, trying to replicate the same functions of bridge on the android set up. I recommend any of your opinion to do it. It will definitely negate your statements, hands down. Besides, you don't want to get caught tethering on VZW any longer. A no tolerance policy and horror stories of the fines and dropping of your data plan have taught many it ain't worth it. I can't speak for the other carriers. Based on your previous history I doubt you'd agree with me anyway, regardless of the results.
    Toodeurep and Chaddface like this.
    10-05-12 11:35 PM
    • ability to rename a folder: If I want to change the name, I have to create a new folder and drag/drop programs to the new folder
    You can rename a folder by touching and holding the folder name while inside the folder. Or touch and hold an icon to get into edit mode, then go inside the folder and tap the name. Both cases will bring up the folder rename dialog.
    MPG Vancouver likes this.
    10-06-12 01:55 AM
    You can rename a folder by touching and holding the folder name while inside the folder. Or touch and hold an icon to get into edit mode, then go inside the folder and tap the name. Both cases will bring up the folder rename dialog.
    Good find- that works.
    10-06-12 08:14 AM
    Whoa! (like Neo in The Matrix)
    Thanks.
    Super Useful.
    10-06-12 08:45 AM
    Ok for downloading a folders app but you understand this has been provided a standard function by all major os since the Nineties, right ? And then the app programmers are supposed to use it, not to create it...

If you think of it, proper folders view was provided by QNX long before it was bought by RIM. This means it is not a lack of work, but there is actually someone at RIM who is blocking this function for users. How can you trust BB10 will be "amazing" when you realize that ? The person who made that decision should have been fired long ago, but I am sure continues to earn high executive income every month even when the firm is floundering.

I also read that the new "bridge over wifi" function in fact needs bluetooth. I could never have made that up. The way they discredit themselves is science-fiction.
    10-07-12 05:40 PM