Hi,

Can someone tell me more about the status on the Playbook? Does Blackberry still makes them? I can't find any in any stores.
    03-19-13 08:00 AM
    if you have access to Amazon in your area, they have lots of them,,, not sure if BB still makes them, but they're definately available...

Amazon.com: BLACKBERRY PLAYBOOK
    03-19-13 08:37 AM
    I _THINK_ that they may still be making the cellular versions. I do NOT think they are making the wifi versions. But they are available online and apparently still available in the UK.
    03-19-13 09:25 AM
    - The WiFi PlayBooks (1.0 GHZ) seem like they are out of production with inventory becoming scarcer though only 16 GB is formally announced to be discontinued.
    - The LTE PlayBooks (1.5 GHZ) are in production but restricted to carrier distribution channels and only in certain markets.
    - Blackberry 10 is coming to all PlayBooks (LTE and WiFi) and is currently in development
    - Future plans are unknown, though BlackBerry's R&D labs are working on successors at the moment. Just not sure it will come to market.

I imagine BlackBerry will need to make an announcement about PlayBook at the investor call next week as inventory is looking scarce. My gut tells me they'll say something like:

"We are sold out of the WiFi PlayBook. We are currently selling the LTE PlayBooks, focusing on carrier channels and corporate customers. We are making BlackBerry 10 for all existing PlayBooks and are currently evaluating our future plans for this line, including R&D efforts on potential future lines, should we find the business model proves viable. And this will be the last quarter where we disclose PlayBook run rates until we solidify our future plans".
    Bbnivende likes this.
    03-19-13 11:01 AM
    03-19-13 11:04 AM
    Had a chat with one of the BB Global Marketing types this evening during an event unrelated to BB. The focus is currently on the successful U.S. launch of the Z10 followed by the launch of the Q10 in late April. Morale is quite high at the company and employees are seeing former colleagues being re-hired as business improves. They are very happy with the launches so far and are looking forward to the upcoming AT&T launch in the U.S.. They are also very confident in TH and the leadership he is providing to the company.

The PlayBook is still very much in play (as are a number of other devices) and there is a lot of effort going into trying out different approaches and niches where the PlayBook could make good business sense. There is a major push to identify new markets for a tablet along with other devices and all ideas are being explored particularly as it concerns the Internet of Things. BB is testing out in several circumstances by giving out a number of PlayBooks locally to see how the PlayBook / BB Tablet can add significant value in educational and corporate settings. To that end, getting out the BB10 platform onto the PlayBook will be necessary for these trials and evaluations to come to a useful conclusion.

That said, I am left with the impression that we are still some time away from the launch of the next BB tablet but can fully anticipate the BB10 OS to come to the PlayBook in the coming months.

I did get the opportunity to pull out my PlayBook in its BlueTooth keyboard case at the event tonight and impressed quite a few people with it, some saying they were looking for something exactly like it. They asked for my opinion and naturally I gave them my completely unbiased opinion of the PlayBook.
    Last edited by Enyigma; 03-20-13 at 09:03 PM.
    03-20-13 08:52 PM
    Why Is it that all of these confidential talks provide information that just as oblique as all the rumors out there. What are the "other devices" you are referring to. It is an Enyigma!
    03-20-13 09:38 PM
    Why Is it that all of these confidential talks provide information that just as oblique as all the rumors out there. What are the "other devices" you are referring to. It is an Enyigma!
    I think most folks would appreciate that BB employees must be quite mindful of what they say in public, I'm sure they aren't totally muzzled but are highly unlikely to spill the beans about a specific idea or a specific market they think they can make money at.

I don't think the employee shared anything "in confidence" with me and if he did and prefaced his conversation that way or in any way hinted that what he was saying was in confidence, I certainly would not put his job in jeopardy by blabbing it all over the Internet. The conversation about the Z10, Q10 and the PlayBook were general in nature, not that much different from what TH has already stated, and I passed on the information as is - generalities and all.

It is perfectly legitimate to talk about morale and efforts being made in general. A company that gives up and decides to only work on a single device is bound to remain a minor player or an afterthought in the minds of consumers and investors. A company that knows where it is going in the long run and provides the leadership and support to allow the widest range of ideas to come to the table and actually follow up on those ideas with research, test products and in real-life settings is more likely to hit on a useful and marketable idea than a top-down company that imposes the ideas from the elite down on to the workforce and tells them to get on with it so it is ready for market in the shortest time possible.

The impression I was trying to leave is less with any specific device or devices being envisioned than a general state of the company as viewed by its employees. As an outsider, there is no way I will be made privy to specific information about any one device or a number of them, I can pass on my impressions of the morale exhibited by employees and how valued they feel about contributing to the process and how free they feel about making suggestions and coming up with new ideas and ways of thinking outside the box.

I am very much encouraged at the mindset now exhibited at the company. A year ago, it was discouraging to hear all the negativity about leadership and management in general at that company. That has changed markedly since this time last year. I always knew that BB had good employees but terrible management. That seems to have been fixed so the ones doing the work are free to do so. BB has returned to being a company open to new ideas and innovation. It is now a company where the work ethic is respected and attention to process takes a back seat to getting the job done. This tells me that BB is once again a serious player although what industry they end up belonging to or a leader in remains to be seen. I just think good things are coming from this rejuvenated company in Waterloo, Canada.
    Bbnivende likes this.
    03-20-13 10:13 PM
    That's good news, I'm happy about it.. I just LOVE my Playbook, I have it with me all the time... I use it for my coaching purpose (did not find the exact good apps for it thought) and it is a very useful tool for me.
    03-22-13 09:10 AM