Considering the HIGHLY disappointing news regarding yet another delay for the V2 software update, can RIM provide specifics of what the update (if it ever comes) will actually do.

All I know is it is regarding native email (which doesn't interest me because I'm happy with it bridging to my phone - I thought that was the point), a semi-compatible android App player (which I'm sure will disappoint), tweaked user interface and some cascade thing (which will only work if developers use it within the Apps they build - and considering the market size, there's not that much incentive)

What I want to know...

- is the keyboard going to get upgraded (tab, arrows, delete. copy / paste etc)?
    - is the lame GPS sensor going to get sorted (a 15 minute wait to get a signal etc)?
    - is it going to be more responsive?
    - Note: check out playbook daily dot com for what people are asking for.

If the answer to the above is probably not, I don't think I'll bother waiting. I've been defending the PlayBook with my iPad buddies for too long now - but I can only show them the video of the turtle so many times you know. The PB may have better hardware, but you pick-up an iPad and you realise what you are missing; so much more responsive and easy to use etc. - "it just works"

Sorry for the winge, but I'm starting to get rather disheartened now (not helped by the fact of waking up every morning in October and thinking is this the day for the update).

Cheers, Steve...
    FF22 likes this.
    11-02-11 04:02 AM
    This is from a recent Betazone survey asking about the importance and priority of features. I hope we will see most of these:

Print FROM the PlayBook to a printer
    Print TO the PlayBook from a computer (paper replacement)
    BlueTooth Stereo support (play PlayBook music through other speakers)
    Cloud storage provided by RIM
    Support for cloud storage by other vendors
    3G / 4G connectivity
    DLNA server support (push media to other DLNA devices)
    DLNA client support (receive and play media pushed FROM other DLNA devices)
    USB Host mode (for connecting USB devices like control devices or storage devices to the PlayBook)
    Connect to network storage drives or shared folders (i.e. NAS/SAMBA)
    Management of a PlayBook by a BES (BlackBerry Enterprise Server)

Using BlackBerry as a remote Keyboard and Mouse for the PlayBook
    Access to SMS messages using Bridge
    Access to MMS messages using Bridge
    Ability to launch links on the PlayBook from the BlackBerry using Bridge
    Ability to Bridge to multiple BlackBerry devices at the same time
    Transfer files back and forth between a Bridged BlackBerry

Browser bookmark management (folders and sorting)
    On-page text search in Browser
    Bezel scrolling in the browser (slide your finger in the black bezel to scroll the page)
    View PDF files directly in the Browser
    Password manager in the Browser (to remember passwords when enabled)

Additional smilies / emoticons
    Home screen folder organization for apps
    Customized panes/pages for apps
    Universal search (search web, your apps, your messages, & settings, all from one place)
    Global volume control in the top ribbon (by the clock)
    Global spellcheck and autocorrect
    Arrow keys on the virtual keyboard
    On-device file management (move/copy/delete/folder organization)
    'Extended Desktop' function for HDMI, to have a different app on each screen
    Notifications by blinking LED light
    App scheduler (launch an app at a specific time)
    Additional language support for the UI

Cross-platform Video Chat (i.e. Skype or custom app for other platforms)
    FLAC audio codec support
    Native BBM on PlayBook
    Native Email, Calendar, and Contacts applications (with IMAP/POP3/ActiveSync support)
    Native fully-featured Office applications
    Access to BBM Groups on PlayBook
    Native Twitter integration
    Fully functional Android Player (to launch Android apps on PlayBook)
    Netflix application, or Browser support for Netflix streaming
    BlackBerry Maps (with online maps available over Bridge or Wi-Fi)
    BlackBerry Maps (with offline maps, for use anywhere)
    BlackBerry Protect for locking and locating your PlayBook remotely
    An application to purchase or rent movies and TV shows
    SlcCorrado and FOX0PIS like this.
    11-02-11 04:45 AM
    This is from a recent Betazone survey asking about the importance and priority of features. I hope we will see most of these...
    Yes, but this survey is approximately 4 months behind schedule. Is management asleep at the wheel or are they all smoking the drapes? I completed the survey in hopes someone is actually going to read it and act upon it. I am not placing any bets.
    JeepBB, FF22, FOX0PIS and 1 others like this.
    11-02-11 04:53 AM
    Bezel scrolling in the browser already exists though it doesn't work when the page has been zoomed out.
    FOX0PIS likes this.
    11-02-11 06:03 AM
    Yes, but this survey is approximately 4 months behind schedule. Is management asleep at the wheel or are they all smoking the drapes? I completed the survey in hopes someone is actually going to read it and act upon it. I am not placing any bets.
    No they are not asleep. They had a vision and were working toward their vision. Didn't take long to find out their vision wasn't what people wanted so they kind of had to go back to the drawing board and change many things. Not so easy.
    FOX0PIS likes this.
    11-02-11 07:10 AM
    OP: Whilst I appreciate (and share) your frustrations with the delay to the OS2 general release, and the question of not knowing what OS2 might actually contain when it does arrive, I have to say: why ask us?

We don't know.

Actually, I doubt RIM knows either. They'll just package up whatever they have when the consumer pressure becomes too much (probably in late February 2012) and release whatever that build contains as OS2.

RIM has never been strong on communication and I've yet to see any official posting of what any OS release, for Playbook or phone, actually contains. So don't hold your breath for an update from RIM.

I'll leave you with this exam question: RIM is a communications company; Discuss?
    FF22 and FOX0PIS like this.
    11-02-11 08:27 AM
    OP: Whilst I appreciate (and share) your frustrations with the delay to the OS2 general release, and the question of not knowing what OS2 might actually contain when it does arrive, I have to say: why ask us?

We don't know.

Actually, I doubt RIM knows either. They'll just package up whatever they have when the consumer pressure becomes too much (probably in late February 2012) and release whatever that build contains as OS2.

RIM has never been strong on communication and I've yet to see any official posting of what any OS release, for Playbook or phone, actually contains. So don't hold your breath for an update from RIM.

I'll leave you with this exam question: RIM is a communications company; Discuss?
    Yes why does a communications company have such difficulty communicating or when they do it seems to be all smoke and mirrors or way off base?

Good question.
    FOX0PIS likes this.
    11-02-11 08:52 AM
    Yes why does a communications company have such difficulty communicating or when they do it seems to be all smoke and mirrors or way off base?

Good question.
    RIM isn't in the "communications" business; they're in the "communication devices" business. The two are not the same.
    FOX0PIS likes this.
    11-02-11 08:57 AM
    Bezel scrolling in the browser already exists though it doesn't work when the page has been zoomed out.
    Is that an OS2 thing?
    11-02-11 10:06 AM
    To add more fuel to the disheartened comment: WebOS just got the Zinio app. And the Playbook version is, of course, nowhere to be seen. Kind of ironic that a dead platform receives more support from developers than does the Playbook.
    11-02-11 10:21 AM
    It would be nice to have an idea of what might be included in the upgraded OS. I would not count of rim "communicating" that information. And at this point, I am not sure that I would believe it in any event.

So, once, again, if the pb does what you want at this time, keep it or buy one (for lurkers). If it does not do what you want do not count on it ever doing what you want. Now whether you should sell or or throw it away is solely your choice. I don't think I would get enough monetary return on a sale. And contrary to popular fanboys, I like some aspects of it so I limp along. But I am quite disappointed in it. I make that disappointment clear in my postings. I do not recommend it to anybody - I will discuss it if asked.

I fear that Halloween comic posted the other day will prove prophetic - rim has "successfully" killed the pb with its delays. By the time OS "upgrade" comes along, the pb will be nearly a year old and folks will have moved to other platforms.
    Last edited by F2; 11-02-11 at 10:29 AM.
    FOX0PIS and UKCatFan3 like this.
    11-02-11 10:26 AM
    It is all about perspective, I subscribe to the RSS feed for new PlayBook apps and there are about 25-50 released a day. About 25% of them always seems to be ebooks but still that is a steady pace to be putting out apps. If you are looking for just 1 in particular then you are obviously going to miss all the others that did come out.
    I will admit that I've never done an RSS feed. The one you mentioned intrigues me - how do I get it? Although, I might soon get sick of those most useful book-apps!

(mods, please don't lock the thread before I get my rss answer!)
    Last edited by F2; 11-02-11 at 10:31 AM.
    FOX0PIS likes this.
    11-02-11 10:28 AM
    It is all about perspective, I subscribe to the RSS feed for new PlayBook apps and there are about 25-50 released a day. About 25% of them always seems to be ebooks but still that is a steady pace to be putting out apps. If you are looking for just 1 in particular then you are obviously going to miss all the others that did come out.
    There's an RSS feed for new Playbook apps? Do you have the link handy? Usually, I just log on once a day to see what's new.
    FOX0PIS likes this.
    11-02-11 10:32 AM
    You are just setting yourself up for failure if you think V2.0 of the os is going to magically fix everything and bring in on par with other devices on the market. RIMs software has been particularly terrible in recent years with no signs of improving whatsoever.
    FOX0PIS likes this.
    11-02-11 10:34 AM
    You are just setting yourself up for failure if you think V2.0 of the os is going to magically fix everything and bring in on par with other devices on the market. RIMs software has been particularly terrible in recent years with no signs of improving whatsoever.
    Let me help you with that. RIM's bbos software will never be on par with other devices so they are dumping it for QNX which will get their devices on par with other platforms. It will take time to get up to speed and for developers to jump on board and bugs to be worked out.

I see signs of improvement from bbos which actually is improved with bbos7 but the bbos will never do what QNX and others can.
    FOX0PIS likes this.
    11-02-11 11:19 AM
    Caspan:

Thanks - I guess I need some rss reader. I see in Firefox a "latest headlines" with that rss symbol but I've never really used it. When I clicked on the rss, it asked if I wanted LiveBookmarks (or other choices). Thanks I will work it out.
    FOX0PIS likes this.
    11-02-11 11:30 AM
    I have been a blackberry user for several years and purchased my playbook in April of this year. While I think this forum is a great source of information for blackberry users, it is getting tiresome reading the various complaints about how their playbooks do not stand up to the competition.

I use my playbook everyday for work and recreation and I have no complaints! While any updates rim provides will be a welcome addition, I'm currently enjoying using it daily.

Owning a tablet is like having a favorite sports team, you root for them when they're winning and complain when losing. The key is staying loyal to them during those bad times as well (especially when changes are being made to the line up).

Sure it's ok to complain a little.....but everyday? It gets old. Maybe deep down...you want to change teams.
    nikolas4129, robtanz and FOX0PIS like this.
    11-02-11 11:37 AM
    hang in there, i mean if youre trying to compare head-to-head with the pads its not going to work out. imho the pad is for a general target market whereas the pb ended up a more targeted market. i have no hopes that v2.0 is going to be all that, but i am quite satisfied as it is now and confronted about comparing with other tablets i end up saying "it fits for my needs."

dont give up bro, hang in there.
    FOX0PIS likes this.
    11-02-11 10:06 PM
    Caspan:

Thanks - I guess I need some rss reader. I see in Firefox a "latest headlines" with that rss symbol but I've never really used it. When I clicked on the rss, it asked if I wanted LiveBookmarks (or other choices). Thanks I will work it out.
    I just use my.yahoo.com (I have a yahoo account). Click on the green + to add content. Then click on the orange RSS feeds button to add RSS feeds. Copy and paste in the link. Click on done.
    FF22 likes this.
    11-02-11 11:10 PM
    Hey can i have auto cap for the first letter i type or spell check -_______- #imjustsaying!

Everyone saying playbook owners shouldnt be bitter really pissed me off. Simple things that rim can tend to know would make alot of people happy. Shyt can i even search for stuff on my tablet with out doing so in the address bar.
    FOX0PIS, JeepBB and FF22 like this.
    11-03-11 12:20 AM
    Hey can i have auto cap for the first letter i type or spell check -_______- #imjustsaying!

Everyone saying playbook owners shouldnt be bitter really pissed me off. Simple things that rim can tend to know would make alot of people happy. Shyt can i even search for stuff on my tablet with out doing so in the address bar.
    I guess that is what annoys a number of folks the most. Rim just stopped solving the little problems that might have made folks more content and basically abandoned the pb in a raw state, hoping to make "everyone" happy with some great relaunch - now delayed for months.

And, yes, Rim probably could have predicted the absence of simple things would be irksome. They had to be at least a few original beta testers who raised issues about spelling/autotext/cursor control and said "what, who are you kidding, this thing can't suggest spelling corrections or put in punctuation like my phone!!!"
    Mel25, JeepBB and FOX0PIS like this.
    11-03-11 09:06 AM
    playbook teach us a lot about patience. and how to hold yourself not to troll the forum
    apparently it;s hard. i just got a nokia n950, running meego, its on beta, but it's fast and its browser is really fast. nothing close to pb browser, which is terrible.
    FOX0PIS likes this.
    11-03-11 11:01 AM
    hang in there, i mean if youre trying to compare head-to-head with the pads its not going to work out. imho the pad is for a general target market whereas the pb ended up a more targeted market. i have no hopes that v2.0 is going to be all that, but i am quite satisfied as it is now and confronted about comparing with other tablets i end up saying "it fits for my needs."

dont give up bro, hang in there.
    Hi Bambuco - thanks for your reply and motivational encouragement ("hang in there").

Just one point though. When you say the PB is more "targeted" - who is the target?

As a Business Manager, I don't really use my PB for games, I try and use it in meetings and for project management etc. Therefore, I thought I'd be right in RIM's sweet spot. But again, when you look at the business Apps available for the other tabs, you realise they really have the edge. I'm there trying to use the fiddly mind map app on my PB (with me making loads of smelling mistakes etc.), whilst my iPad buddy is just flying with the ease of use.

Cheers, Steve.
    11-04-11 01:56 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD