I went in to my local Staples last night to pick up some charging pods at the great sale price (I bought 3) and when I was standing there deciding just how many to get, a Staples employee (I'll call him Steve) asked if he could help me with anything. I told Steve I was glad to see more charging pods in as I had been disappointed earlier to see they had all sold out.

Well Steve went on a tangent telling me just how fab the playbook was. His favourite feature is flash. Told me last Christmas he bought one for his father-in-law and he hasn't put it down since. Steve said he preferred it over his iPad for pretty much the same reasons many here do: its easier to carry around, easier to transfer files, has flash and of course bridge.

It was just nice to go in to a big box store and hear an employee love their playbook too.
    01-03-13 08:30 AM
    Thanks for the heads up. The staples in my hometown ran out of those fast, so I was glad to be able to pick one up today.

They didn't have them on display though, kept them behind the counter.
    01-03-13 12:22 PM
    I need to get one also. Hopefully the Staples near me has one.
    I didnt see anything in the flyers so are you guys talking Staples Canada? or?
    01-03-13 01:34 PM
    Staples here in Lindsay Ontario. They had tons. Just got them in. Both the pod and rapid charger. Bet if I go in there tonight they will almost be gone.
    01-03-13 01:40 PM
    Is this in Staples Canada? I will swing by the Staples nearby to see if they have any...
    01-03-13 02:42 PM
    Saw this thread earlier today so I figured i'd stop by staples on my way home and see what the deals were.. Holy $#it! I picked up :

- a new convertible case, regular 49.99 now 14.97
    - a rapid charger, regular i think 59.99 now 9.97
    - a rapid charging pod, regular i think 74.99 now 14.97

Screaming good deals to be had on these and other playbooks accessories BUT these aren't sales.. they are clearance.. makes you wonder, does staples know something we don't like maybe there is some truth to rumors of a new playbook and the current model being discontinued? I hope not.. but these are odd writedowns for accessories that are expected to work with a tablet that should be receiving renewed vigor with BB10 next month..
    01-03-13 05:16 PM
    Saw this thread earlier today so I figured i'd stop by staples on my way home and see what the deals were.. Holy $#it! I picked up :

Screaming good deals to be had on these and other playbooks accessories BUT these aren't sales.. they are clearance.. makes you wonder, does staples know something we don't like maybe there is some truth to rumors of a new playbook and the current model being discontinued? I hope not.. but these are odd writedowns for accessories that are expected to work with a tablet that should be receiving renewed vigor with BB10 next month..
    Doesn't clearance just mean they want to clean out inventory? I know the BlackBerry PlayBook 16 GB is out of production at this point, but interestingly enough no retailers as far as I know (at least not in Canada) are calling the item "Clearance" I think Staples used this terminology because other stores like Best Buy and Futureshop are selling the PlayBook accessories at regular prices.
    01-03-13 05:22 PM
    Doesn't clearance just mean they want to clean out inventory? I know the BlackBerry PlayBook 16 GB is out of production at this point, but interestingly enough no retailers as far as I know (at least not in Canada) are calling the item "Clearance" I think Staples used this terminology because other stores like Best Buy and Futureshop are selling the PlayBook accessories at regular prices.
    Well granted I've never worked for staples, but I was a general manager for an electronics retailer for almost 10 years in my previous life.. and for us at least.. when we marked something clearance, that meant once we sold through the stock in the stores and what we had in the warehouse.. that was it. No further inventory would be ordered. Sometimes this was because it had been discontinued by the manufacturer, either with a new model coming or not, other times it was still in production and we had just decided to stop carrying it, but either way as far as we were concerned the product was done.

My limited knowledge of the staples inventory system is that it's the same.. sale means sale.. (items are put on sale for various reasons, from vendor direction, to ad invectives to competitor matching and also overstock) but clearance means clearance.. as in, clearing it out.. once its gone it's gone.. not gonna find that item here anymore.
    01-03-13 05:30 PM

Rapid Charging Pod is $9.99 at Future Shop and Best Buy Canada right now.
    01-04-13 08:12 PM
    Checked Best Buy shops around Windsor, ON and they are out of stock online and in stores. Checked Future Shop and they show stock and was able to reserve 2. We'll see what happens when I go to pick them up tomorrow ……stay tuned!
    01-04-13 09:14 PM
    Rapid charger is $30 on their site I'll have to drive over to the nearest Staples tomorrow and look (if I can get my car door de-iced )
    01-04-13 11:18 PM
    Staples here in Lindsay Ontario. They had tons. Just got them in. Both the pod and rapid charger. Bet if I go in there tonight they will almost be gone.
    You can bet on that! Most Staples stores sell out of Playbook's and acc. very quickly after they get stock.I think you will find the staff is also better trained.
    01-05-13 12:17 AM
    just so you guys know, I have a friend who's son works at staples and any price with .97 at the end means it is on clearance! go ask any staples employee and they will confirm what I am saying
    just_luc likes this.
    01-05-13 11:59 AM
    just picked up charging pod at staples for a grand total of $7.94
    01-05-13 12:03 PM
    Oh oh. I don't see the Playbook on the Staples website anymore.
    01-23-13 09:06 AM