Just got back from a local staples,
    they all had on bright yellow Playbook shirts today
    and were pumped up about the release.

They highly suggested preorders
    as they said they are expecting lineups on the 19th and a quick sell out,
    of the 30 units coming in.

Other than one staff member calling it a Blueberry
    it was nice to see, have to give credit to RIM for really promoting this!
    04-15-11 11:33 AM
    I find it ironic how Staples seems to be really excited about the PlayBook and willing to promote it heavily and yet Best Buy, who arguably doesn't give a turd, is the preferred retailer...
    04-15-11 11:36 AM
    I find it ironic how Staples seems to be really excited about the PlayBook and willing to promote it heavily and yet Best Buy, who arguably doesn't give a turd, is the preferred retailer...
    lol cus bb gets paid for it.

on the side note... just went to staples to view the demo... and it was on build 1500. It was hot it was so fast smooth and amazing..... i just .. cant wait.!

screw the reviews. go touch it.. feel it.. u'll like it. trust me!

edit: PS.. there were more than enough games for free already available on app world. ya APPs!
    04-15-11 11:40 AM
    Maybe because in Canada anyhow, its the only tablet Staples sells?

Staples was very keyed up,
    they have a demo this afternoon and really pushed preorders,
    said you'll love it or just bring it back within 14 days.

MAybe getting the reviews out of the way early was a good idea,
    I'm getting tempted to pick up some RIM stock as this release seems
    to have momentum...
    04-15-11 11:40 AM
    I went to Staples on Wednesday to pickup tax software and noticed they had Playbook posters on every window, a stand with countdown in the vestibule and the yellow shirts. When I cashed out I asked if I should bother pre-ordering or just pick one up next week sometime and was told that pre-order was the best bet and that they would be opening at 7:00 am just for this.

I didn't ask how many pre-orders they had done....

Small town, about 50,000 in east-central Ontario.

Edit... oh, and I did pre-order a 16 GB. That's more than enough storage for what I'll be using it for.
    Last edited by Adam79; 04-15-11 at 11:58 AM.
    04-15-11 11:54 AM
    Confirmed that Futureshop is opening at 7am on Tuesday (8am in Quebec). I just called to check and the guy confirmed. He said the pre-orders have already arrived in store and they can't be picked up until the 19th...unless I want a cash only, no receipt deal (he was joking)
    04-15-11 12:00 PM
    Just got back from a local staples,
    they all had on bright yellow Playbook shirts today
    and were pumped up about the release.

They highly suggested preorders
    as they said they are expecting lineups on the 19th and a quick sell out,
    of the 30 units coming in.

Other than one staff member calling it a Blueberry
    it was nice to see, have to give credit to RIM for really promoting this!
    WTF? only 30 units?
    04-15-11 12:05 PM
    WTF? only 30 units?
    Maybe a location thing, thats what one staff quoted, 10 of each model.
    04-15-11 12:07 PM
    Anybody here know if theres demo in san diego area either today or this weekend.i just cant wait for my preorder to arive.grrr
    04-15-11 12:10 PM
    Confirmed that Futureshop is opening at 7am on Tuesday (8am in Quebec). I just called to check and the guy confirmed. He said the pre-orders have already arrived in store and they can't be picked up until the 19th...unless I want a cash only, no receipt deal (he was joking)
    yup, 7am here.... I am getting it before work now on th 19th but its going to be even more torture since I can't access the company wifi (yet lmao)
    04-15-11 12:16 PM
    This is disturbing since I pre-ordered within an hour of it being announced to be shipped and there's not one word about what's going on at Future Shop so far.
    04-15-11 12:21 PM
    This is disturbing since I pre-ordered within an hour of it being announced to be shipped and there's not one word about what's going on at Future Shop so far.
    what do you mean? Futureshop is opening up at 7am (8am in Quebec) and if you have pre ordered, you are guaranteed your unit.
    04-15-11 12:23 PM
    I can't buy until the 21st. I'll be gutted if I can't get my hands on one! I'm in the Halifax / Dartmouth area of Canada.
    04-15-11 12:27 PM
    I can't buy until the 21st. I'll be gutted if I can't get my hands on one! I'm in the Halifax / Dartmouth area of Canada.
    Did you pre order? Futureshop only needs a $100 deposit to secure a unit. You don't have to pick it up day 1 from what I was told
    Brazen9000 likes this.
    04-15-11 12:28 PM
    I find it odd Staples is recommending that you pre-order. I pre-ordered on day 1 and today when I called them they said they are expecting to ship between the 18th and 20th. It will be in the stores before my pre-order arrives. How about just going to one of the other 20,000 retailers selling it.
    Last edited by ynotbme; 04-15-11 at 12:42 PM.
    abbas920 likes this.
    04-15-11 12:38 PM
    Did you pre order? Futureshop only needs a $100 deposit to secure a unit. You don't have to pick it up day 1 from what I was told
    Correct, you pay the $100 and they'll keep it with your name on for up to 30 days. You can get there at 7am to pick it up or they will keep it for up to 30 days for you.

I'll be there at 6.55
    04-15-11 12:38 PM
    what do you mean? Futureshop is opening up at 7am (8am in Quebec) and if you have pre ordered, you are guaranteed your unit.
    I ordered it to be shipped to my work. There has been no communication about anything going on. I even emailed them this morning and got nothing.
    04-15-11 12:40 PM
    Are all Future Shops opening at 7AM that day?? Anyone know about Yonge and Dundas location?

EDIT: NM, I checkted their websites. It says that all locations open at 7 except le quebec
    Last edited by smeagle5; 04-15-11 at 12:51 PM.
    04-15-11 12:45 PM
    I find it odd Staples is recommending that you pre-order. I pre-ordered on day 1 and today when I called them they said they are expecting to ship between the 18th and 20th. It will be in the stores before my pre-order arrives.
    If you are referring to my post... sorry, let me clarify - I didn't mean pre-order online, I meant pre-pay and reserve one of their day 1 stock. Ordering online never crossed my radar as I know I will be able to get one in-store on the 19th anyway.... shipping is a PITA for me anyway as I always have to drive to the depot to pick up my parcels.
    04-15-11 12:46 PM
    Are all Future Shops opening at 7AM that day?? Anyone know about Yonge and Dundas location?
    Its on the web site that all futureshops are opening at 7 am. Except for in Hamilton which is 8 am (manager is probably lazy over there)...
    04-15-11 12:51 PM
    Has Staples released the stores that are opening at midnight yet? I remember they announced that select stores will be opening at midnight but I don't think they've said which ones. Anyone know anything more on this?
    04-15-11 12:53 PM
    Has Staples released the stores that are opening at midnight yet? I remember they announced that select stores will be opening at midnight but I don't think they've said which ones. Anyone know anything more on this?
    I just called my local store and they said that they are opening at 7am for it.
    kyleheney likes this.
    04-15-11 01:32 PM
    So am i , and i work for Staples .... Some possible grim news , not confirmed until Monday though , so stay Tuned.
    04-15-11 01:43 PM
    I didn't know this! Thanks so much I was hoping to go through Staples as they're really supporting the Playbook from what I can see but this is good news - I'll get my ton into FutureShop tomorrow
    04-15-11 01:56 PM
    So am i , and i work for Staples .... Some possible grim news , not confirmed until Monday though , so stay Tuned.
    Sounds scary... any hints? Small quantities? Not getting them in until a later date?
    04-15-11 01:57 PM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD