12-28-11 01:32 PM
63 123
tools
    Which Android app do you have?
    I've emailed Garmin but haven't received a response.
    12-28-11 05:40 AM
    @BuzzStarField
    I was tempoarily confused buy your first paragraph and then laughed out loud when I realized what you authored. Love the app and are looking forward to viewing the southern cross in October (assuming it will be visable). We will play with it more here in the spring when the weather is warmer.
    12-28-11 06:35 AM
    Regardless of everything thing else, I am looking forward to a developer taking full advantage of the Playbook GPS. I assume (because I'm NOT a developer) that it takes money to create apps and when the return on the investment looks good enough to invest personal income.....we will have 1 or 2 very cool GPS apps.
    12-28-11 08:51 AM
    There should be some android options after the OS2 release.
    I'm fine with magellan for now. It works fine over the bridge. In fact I use it (most times) instead of the factory nav in my car because it's easier to enter a destination and it doesn't yell at me when I'm driving. It also is more up to date for my area then my 5 year old map dvd.
    12-28-11 09:33 AM
    @BuzzStarField
    I was tempoarily confused buy your first paragraph and then laughed out loud when I realized what you authored. Love the app and are looking forward to viewing the southern cross in October (assuming it will be visable). We will play with it more here in the spring when the weather is warmer.
    I am really proud of What's up and I'm always thrilled when someone like you tells me that they find the app entertaining and even useful. On the other hand, a small subset of folks seems to get a great amount of pleasure from denigrating RIM and by extension anyone who buys a PB or dares to write apps for it. Sometimes, its really hard to tell the difference between the two kinds of people who frequent this forum - those who want learn about the device and work around its (temporary?) deficiencies and those who want to sow fear, uncertainty and doubt about the device's future.

I chose to write my app for PlayBook last January because RIM was advertising availability of two vital hardware components - GPS and magnetometer. With the former I can determine the precise location of your PB on the face of the earth and with the latter, I can tell in which compass direction it is pointing. I am still waiting for official support for the magnetometer but the GPS chip has been available to developers from the outset.

The PB also has an accelerometer, another sensor, that can inform a program about the angle of the PB's screen in space and whether the device is right side up or not.

To make a long story short, PlayBook developers are on the verge of being able to write a class of apps (long available on other platforms) known as "augmented reality" or AR.

I will soon be releasing an AR version of my app. You will be able to point your PB at the sky and my app will display an annotated likeness of what you are pointing at. This is only the beginning and other developers will be taking us in directions never before possible on BlackBerry devices. I am really excited about that fact that RIM is finally, finally, finally allowing us to do this sort of thing.

On the other hand, I am girding myself for the onslaught of criticism levelled at RIM for delivering too little, too late. They will continue to make dire predictions about RIM's relevance and ability to survive as a going concern.

I get testy at times because the detractors are absolutely correct. But I hope that they can be civil in their righteousness and will allow me the pleasure of bringing you great apps and allow you to enjoy what I have authored.
    Last edited by BuzzStarField; 12-28-11 at 10:02 AM.
    12-28-11 10:00 AM
    I love Blackstar for my blackberry phone. I wish is was available for the playbook.
    12-28-11 10:00 AM
    I love Blackstar for my blackberry phone. I wish is was available for the playbook.
    Have you contacted the developer? I like BlackStar too - so much so that I have something similar in the works for PB. But I am sort of preoccupied with What's up and can find little time to work on it.

Do you know if there is a version of BlackStar for OS7 (using the smart phone's magnetometer)? If you don't mind my asking what are your favourite features?
    12-28-11 10:31 AM
    no. the gps on this thing is incredibly buggy and theres not really much software available to even take advantage of it.
    I agree with you. The GPS on the PB is terrible. Trying to get an accurate gps signal is nearly impossible, even when standing outside the GPS has you flying all over as if you were transporting yourself (a la star trek). The past few days it has me somewhere about two miles down from my house in an empty field. I like almost love my PB but I am not about to start lying on its behalf. Oddly enough, when I was using the Magellan Compass Trial, it was working ok at best, once I updated to the paid software all broke loose. I don't think it had anything to do with it, just odd.

The only way I can get the Bing Maps to "work" is by launching Compass and then launching Bing Maps after Compass has acquired a location which again, is typically never my location, but somewhat close by.
    12-28-11 10:57 AM
    I had no prob using Bing Maps to accurately pinpoint my location within a few meters. I can assure you that I am not lying.

Perhaps there's a bug in Magellan Compass---or your unit has a defective GPS.

Another possibility is that MC is using an IP location service to infer your approximate location based on the IP address of your WiFi/DSL. This is how android apps do it on devices without a hardware GPS---such as the Kindle Fire.
    Last edited by dugggggg; 12-28-11 at 11:59 AM.
    12-28-11 11:30 AM
    Where does one find this "Magellan" app of which you speak?
    12-28-11 12:44 PM
    You do have to make sure the map program is getting your location information from the GPS and not from the location of the Wifi connection point. I turn off Wifi on my Playbook to make sure. With Wifi off, Bing and most map programs just report an "unable to connect" error and won't run.
    12-28-11 01:03 PM
    GPS support is, um, let's say, "immature", but it's improved considerably since the initial release.

Magellan is pretty good. Bing maps needs some updating, I'd say. Wikitude would be AWESOME, but it's not there yet.
    12-28-11 01:13 PM
    You do have to make sure the map program is getting your location information from the GPS and not from the location of the Wifi connection point. I turn off Wifi on my Playbook to make sure. With Wifi off, Bing and most map programs just report an "unable to connect" error and won't run.
    It is a common misconception but your statement is not correct. Bing needs to have a connection with its map server in order to be useful - so if a path does not exist, it tells you that it can't connect and does not go any further. It does not even check for a GPS location unless a map is available to show you.

After bing gets a map from the server and displays it, you will notice that the little blue circle in the menu bar starts to flash. It is now trying to locate you using GPS. If bing succeeds in getting a location, it zooms the map to that location. If it times out, the flashing stops and nothing more happens until you tap the blue circle, at which point it tries again to use the GPS to locate you.
    12-28-11 01:32 PM
63 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD