Is there a particulra method of stack charging that works best or should I just do each one until my Playbook works again?

Kinda annoyed I have to stack charge in the first place.
    01-17-13 06:15 PM
    Why do you still have os1.That aside,best way I've found is with the magnetic rapid charger.Just connect,wait for red led to go out,tip the connect out of contact and wait a second and repeat.Using usb charger I've got a power strip that I plug the charger into,then turn power strip switch on,wait till led comes on and turn off switch when led goes off,wait a second and turn on switch and repeat as needed.No need to unplug from playbook OR outlet.No muss, no fuss.
    01-17-13 06:42 PM
    Try this one from mapsonburt:

Locked, bricked Stack Charge Charging

Mapsonburt:

The PlayBook OS currently shuts down at 3.5 volts. When the battery gets below 2.67V it won't show power lights or even try to start because there isn't enough juice to even power the processor to run the code on the BIOS. The BIOS is software hard coded on a chip within the PlayBook that tells it how to load the PlayBook OS and is coded such that it only recognizes signed PlayBook boot images (which is why it is so hard to root and that nobody has been able to get one to boot Android or WebOS. The BIOS software also contains some charging algorithms for when the OS is not running - ie device is powered off but plugged into a charging source. This code ONLY runs when the battery is above 2.67 volts because the processor can't run below that.

The root of the problem is that this design issue prevents the device from accepting any charge longer than 60 seconds when the battery is too low to run the charging algorithms on the BIOS or on the OS (one runs before the device is powered on and one runs afterwards). RIM did this because Lithium Ion batteries have a nasty habit of catching fire if not charged properly so they wanted to ensure that the processor could be in control of the charging. Makes perfect sense and they probably thought they were avoiding situations like where early Li Ion batteries on laptops were catching on fire. The problem is they were a bit too aggressive in dealing with the problem at design stage. If the battery is below 2.67Volts their protective algorithms can't run but you also can't put enough charge into the battery to charge it! Hence all the reports of people having success with stack charging.

Unfortunately there are a lot of wrong ways to do this floating around out there and getting repeated everyone someone posts a new thread on the issue. It really should be made a sticky. What is the right way?

1) ONLY use a source that provides 1.7Amps or more of charge. The original charger provides this. The rapid chargers provide a lot more. Your phone charger only provides a fraction of this. Anything less is going to take forever to charge the battery above 2.67 volts and may not have enough juice to charge the battery AT ALL once the processor starts to run above 2.67Volts or even worse once the OS starts to run above 3.5Volts. Forget about using your computer to charge it when the OS isn't running as the computer looks for the hardware to identify itself and won't put out a full charge current unless the device indicates it can accept. Once the OS is running, you'd often CAN get enough power from the USB on the computer but that is because the OS has signaled it is OK for the computer to send it. When the OS/BIOS isn't running, the PlayBook won't take much/any charge from a computer. The rapid chargers are best as they quickly charge but more importantly do not use the (too) flimsy USB port. A lot of problems are caused by this port getting wobbly over time and the device not getting a charge at all. Everyone should have a rapid charger.

2) Until you get your device WELL above the 3.5Volts that let's the PlayBook boot, do NOT try to start it. Every attempt drags the battery down some more and that attempt sucks much more charge from the battery than you can put in in those 60 seconds before the hardware shuts down the charging. How can you tell where your battery is? Well if you are getting no lights on the playbook on your first charging attempt you are below 2.67volts. If lights go on and then it doesn't start the OS it is below 3.5Volts. If it loads the OS and then dies it is just above 3.5Volts. If the device loads the OS it is somewhere below 5.0Volts. Depending upon where you start (how low the battery is) various techniques work best. They are: REAL stack charging (plug in for 60 seconds, unplug, plug in for 60 seconds, repeat until the processor starts accepting charging (the big battery symbol on the screen). Again, DO NOT try to turn the device on until then. You are just working against yourself and it will take much longer. You should get the charging symbol within 20-45 minutes of repeated REAL stack charging. Forget you ever heard of plugging in for 2 mins and then off for 2 mins and similar as those 2 mins of off time are COMPLETELY worthless. I have put a multimeter on the PlayBook in this state and it NEVER takes more than a minute of charge when under 2.67volts but will accept another minute of charge after a short (1-2 second) disconnection. Just do it right.

3) Once you see that charging screen leave it plugged in to the charger (stop stack charging) for at least an hour before you try to start the PlayBook. If you don't you may end up in a situation where the attempt to start drags that battery back down below 2.67V and you have start stack charging again. Be patient, you are almost there!

4) Fully charge your Playbook after this to ensure your PlayBook gets back to 100%.

Unfortunately, there isn't a lot RIM can do about this now. It's a hardware design issue. I'd be interested in knowing if the fixed it with the 4G versions. I don't think I've ever seen that complaint with one of those but I've "fixed" both of mine a few times (the kids keep trying to power them on after letting them shut down on low battery despite me saying time RUN not walk and put it on a rapid charger when ever it hits the flashing red battery signal (9%). I've also helped many friends and people on the web and NOBODY who has followed the instructions has failed to get their PlayBook to charge.

I'm convinced this fault is the reason so many PlayBooks are returned to the stores and through RMA. RIM has been very good about this but it should never have happened. Happy Charging!
    01-17-13 07:14 PM
    Kinda annoyed I have to stack charge in the first place.
    You don't have to stack charge it if you remember to keep it charged. I mean, if you don't use it often enough, you should probably just keep it on charge, or turn it off when you don't need it, or sell it if you just never use it. You know, its like clothing; if you never wear it, give it away.
    01-17-13 09:00 PM
    I should have asked - what caused this problem? Disuse - sitting idle? Or did it lose power unexpectedly?
    01-17-13 10:00 PM
    If you're running a pre OS 2 version, you may need to do a debrick method first. If your Playbook has 2 red light blinks, then a few seconds pause before repeating the two red light blink, a software upgrade will fix it. Plug into computer, run desktop software, and Repair the unit. This will update the OS and normal charging can work again. Remember, after the update is complete, turn off the Playbook and let it charge 12+ hours before use. Stack charging wasn't working for me, and it was because the OS on the unit was quite old.

WARNING - The method I explain above WILL result in lost data from the Playbook.
    Last edited by DOCTOREVIL8; 01-18-13 at 08:23 AM. Reason: Added warning
    01-18-13 08:20 AM
    I drained it playing playing Radiant Defense on my flight back to school. And it wouldn't start up again.
    It should be one of the newest software versions. I remember upgrading it last semester.

Thanks for the help. I don't know if I have the original charger, but I'll try the solutions suggested.
    01-18-13 08:21 PM
    A bb phone charger or others supplying similar power will probably take longer since their power is lower than the one included with a pb purchase.
    01-18-13 10:20 PM
    I drained it playing playing Radiant Defense on my flight back to school
    Oooh good game. I can understand now. That sucks though, I played let's golf 2 on most of a 4 hour flight and it didn't kill it, although it got to somewhere under 20%. Well anyway, learn these methods and hopefully you never have to use them again. I'm glad you enjoy using your playbook as most leave it sitting dead for a few days and then wonder why it won't turn on.
    01-19-13 08:05 AM
    Alright. here's the problem I'm having.

I can get it to start (homescreen comes up, even connects to wifi automatically).
    But then it shuts down.
    I didn't take the charger out, and I didn't use it.

What am I doing wrong?
    01-19-13 03:06 PM
    The batteries are of the same design as those that are having problems in the new Boeing Dreamliner. Since it is in the news a lot today, it would be a good idea to read some of the news reports on those batteries. These types batteries are used in ALL electronic devices today. These batteries can be dangerous if not used properly.
    01-19-13 03:09 PM
    Alright. here's the problem I'm having.

I can get it to start (homescreen comes up, even connects to wifi automatically).
    But then it shuts down.
    I didn't take the charger out, and I didn't use it.

What am I doing wrong?
    If its booting up on then try to put it standby right away and just let it charge. If you just see the pulsing light then just leave it alone and let it charge. I would give it 4-5 hours before you check on it.

Reading stories about the dreamliner won't help you get your PB going and it won't burst into flames. The reason your having trouble is because of the safegaurds built into the OS and the batteries.
    01-19-13 03:30 PM
    Figured I'd update this.

I couldn't get it to work...

So I called customer service. And they fixed it up for me.

Easy as cake and completely free. And it took them 7 days (including shipping and two weekends).

Gold star for them
    FF22 likes this.
    02-11-13 12:34 PM
    Nice follow up for those interested in this thread.
    02-11-13 05:37 PM
    Try this one from mapsonburt:

Locked, bricked Stack Charge Charging

Mapsonburt:

The PlayBook OS currently shuts down at 3.5 volts. When the battery gets below 2.67V it won't show power lights or even try to start because there isn't enough juice to even power the processor to run the code on the BIOS. The BIOS is software hard coded on a chip within the PlayBook that tells it how to load the PlayBook OS and is coded such that it only recognizes signed PlayBook boot images (which is why it is so hard to root and that nobody has been able to get one to boot Android or WebOS. The BIOS software also contains some charging algorithms for when the OS is not running - ie device is powered off but plugged into a charging source. This code ONLY runs when the battery is above 2.67 volts because the processor can't run below that.

The root of the problem is that this design issue prevents the device from accepting any charge longer than 60 seconds when the battery is too low to run the charging algorithms on the BIOS or on the OS (one runs before the device is powered on and one runs afterwards). RIM did this because Lithium Ion batteries have a nasty habit of catching fire if not charged properly so they wanted to ensure that the processor could be in control of the charging. Makes perfect sense and they probably thought they were avoiding situations like where early Li Ion batteries on laptops were catching on fire. The problem is they were a bit too aggressive in dealing with the problem at design stage. If the battery is below 2.67Volts their protective algorithms can't run but you also can't put enough charge into the battery to charge it! Hence all the reports of people having success with stack charging.

Unfortunately there are a lot of wrong ways to do this floating around out there and getting repeated everyone someone posts a new thread on the issue. It really should be made a sticky. What is the right way?

1) ONLY use a source that provides 1.7Amps or more of charge. The original charger provides this. The rapid chargers provide a lot more. Your phone charger only provides a fraction of this. Anything less is going to take forever to charge the battery above 2.67 volts and may not have enough juice to charge the battery AT ALL once the processor starts to run above 2.67Volts or even worse once the OS starts to run above 3.5Volts. Forget about using your computer to charge it when the OS isn't running as the computer looks for the hardware to identify itself and won't put out a full charge current unless the device indicates it can accept. Once the OS is running, you'd often CAN get enough power from the USB on the computer but that is because the OS has signaled it is OK for the computer to send it. When the OS/BIOS isn't running, the PlayBook won't take much/any charge from a computer. The rapid chargers are best as they quickly charge but more importantly do not use the (too) flimsy USB port. A lot of problems are caused by this port getting wobbly over time and the device not getting a charge at all. Everyone should have a rapid charger.

2) Until you get your device WELL above the 3.5Volts that let's the PlayBook boot, do NOT try to start it. Every attempt drags the battery down some more and that attempt sucks much more charge from the battery than you can put in in those 60 seconds before the hardware shuts down the charging. How can you tell where your battery is? Well if you are getting no lights on the playbook on your first charging attempt you are below 2.67volts. If lights go on and then it doesn't start the OS it is below 3.5Volts. If it loads the OS and then dies it is just above 3.5Volts. If the device loads the OS it is somewhere below 5.0Volts. Depending upon where you start (how low the battery is) various techniques work best. They are: REAL stack charging (plug in for 60 seconds, unplug, plug in for 60 seconds, repeat until the processor starts accepting charging (the big battery symbol on the screen). Again, DO NOT try to turn the device on until then. You are just working against yourself and it will take much longer. You should get the charging symbol within 20-45 minutes of repeated REAL stack charging. Forget you ever heard of plugging in for 2 mins and then off for 2 mins and similar as those 2 mins of off time are COMPLETELY worthless. I have put a multimeter on the PlayBook in this state and it NEVER takes more than a minute of charge when under 2.67volts but will accept another minute of charge after a short (1-2 second) disconnection. Just do it right.

3) Once you see that charging screen leave it plugged in to the charger (stop stack charging) for at least an hour before you try to start the PlayBook. If you don't you may end up in a situation where the attempt to start drags that battery back down below 2.67V and you have start stack charging again. Be patient, you are almost there!

4) Fully charge your Playbook after this to ensure your PlayBook gets back to 100%.

Unfortunately, there isn't a lot RIM can do about this now. It's a hardware design issue. I'd be interested in knowing if the fixed it with the 4G versions. I don't think I've ever seen that complaint with one of those but I've "fixed" both of mine a few times (the kids keep trying to power them on after letting them shut down on low battery despite me saying time RUN not walk and put it on a rapid charger when ever it hits the flashing red battery signal (9%). I've also helped many friends and people on the web and NOBODY who has followed the instructions has failed to get their PlayBook to charge.

I'm convinced this fault is the reason so many PlayBooks are returned to the stores and through RMA. RIM has been very good about this but it should never have happened. Happy Charging!
    i tried doing this for 90 minutes using a countdown timer online. 1 minute plugged and 1 minute off and still seeing the damn 5 blinking lights. never pushed start or the 3 buttons either like it states.

havent even had this playbook for 3 days (bought off ebay) and it died. had it plugged in right next to my recliner and didnt know your not supposed to power it down. used to powering down like you do for most everything else.

think i had the wrong charger too, so i bought an oem replacement wall charger off ebay and to use still nothing.

what else can be done?
    03-14-13 01:44 PM
    That sounds like it could be a OS issue and not a charging issue.

Try the Debrick method....

Perform a backup of your pb if you can using Desktop Manager or, at least, manually coping any unique data, photos, voice recordings, documents, etc.

1) Turn your playbook OFF by holding down the power button
    2) Let your playbook sit for about 10 minutes as earlier suggested.
    3) After letting the PB sit (and still powered off) open up the Blackberry Desktop Software (the latest version)
    4) Once the Blackberry Desktop Software is opened, use the USB Cable and hook the PB to the PC.. THEN power on the Playbook
    5) A screen will show on your computer showing that the device cannot be found
    6) Click on Update. It will take awhile
    03-14-13 03:02 PM
    doesnt even boot, have the red light then 5 blinking yellow lights. when i bought it from ebay and got it at home, first thing i did was updated it to 2.1.0.1526

tried that also, doesnt even pick up playbook when its plugged into usb on computer
    Last edited by papajohnb; 03-14-13 at 03:34 PM.
    03-14-13 03:24 PM
    Try making sure that the pb is OFF by pressing the power button (dark closet shows screen is BLACK and not backlighted gray). Try the Debrick again. Run Desktop Software. Plug in the OFF pb. Any reaction? Now turn the pb ON and wait a bit but watch the Desktop Software for a prompt. Might I ask, what was the seller's reason for selling on ebay? Could there have been a problem with the unit?
    03-14-13 04:48 PM
    For more info on PB charging look at PB knowledge base articles.

http://btsc.webapps.blackberry.com/b...pl#documentTop
    03-14-13 05:02 PM
    the seller...they sell all kinds of electronics on there ebay store. worked fine for like 3 days, then problem started. i was shutting it off and after reading in here your not supposed too.

it is off (black screen) and still nothing happens. plugging in to usb does nothing when desktop software is running, windows doesnt even pick it up.

just called blackberry and there gonna do an rma for it, so will be fixed soon...i hope lol
    03-14-13 05:03 PM
    Hi,

I'm trying to bring a PlayBook back from the dead using my rapid charger, I'm attempting to stack charge it by plugging it in, the red light comes on (the only sign of life) after a few seconds, leaving it till the red light goes out (a couple of minutes), disconnecting it, reconnecting it, repeating the procedure, etc. etc. Is this okay or should I connect 60secs, disconnect, connect 60 secs, disconnect, connect 60 secs, etc. etc. It's a question of technique?

Nick
    04-23-13 08:31 AM
    I'm not sure about what technique might work better. And there's still some question if the Rapid charger is as successful but I don't know.

Here's another method someone posted:

"WOW, i tried EVERY SINGLE Step out there and the one step that worked ... was HOLDING down the power key for 20 seconds, after 20 Seconds do not let go of the power button and plug in the wall charger, and then let go... should get a steady red light for about 10 seconds, then the battery icon with lightning bolt should appear.. the it will charge with just a flashing green..... lol wasted 4 hrs for nothing hope this works for everyone else "
    04-23-13 09:30 AM
    Ok bought the magnitic base charger, I put the playbook on and the red led comes on for a second or two and goes out, then the Battery with the lightening bolt comes on and goes out, then the Led starts pulsing dim to bright green to yellow
    then my wife said the screen came on and went back off after a couple of minutes and the Led is still pulsing.
    IS this thing Charging?
    05-14-14 10:05 AM
    Got this thing on the magnitic charger goes thru the sequence red LED, Battery sybol with the lightening bolt pulsing
    Green to yellow LED. Then after a while I get the Backberry screen, take it off it goes away and still will not come
    on. left it on longer and the blackberry window goes out and the pulsing green to yellow LED is back on, except when
    i take it off of the charger now the LED continues to pulse for about 30 seconds then stops.
    Am I close, how do you know when it has a full charge and how do you get this thing to turn back on afterwords?
    Anyone out there have some info on this thing PLEASE
    05-15-14 08:51 AM
    OK got to the Backberry windown left it on the charger, then got to the menu screen pressed the Battery Icon and it show
    0% charge on the battery stand on for a minute or two then went out and LED stopped flashing back to Notha?
    Took it off the charger waited and put it back on hope after 10 or 15 years it might run again Ok lets time this whole process and at least get it documented
    And yes I got this one off of Ebey also was to be new in original box. Going to get my money back on this piece of work
    Its back in the box and on its way for a refund, could get it to run on the Magnitic charger but could never get it to take a charge
    Last edited by PHolland; 06-16-14 at 10:39 AM. Reason: Never got it to Take a charge
    05-15-14 09:26 AM
33 12