Hi,

I know there's a good SSH client for Blackberry, BBSSH. My wife uses it quite a lot for her Torch. In any event, my employer will foot the bill for a Playbook for me if there's a similar SSH client for it. I looked at the BBSSH but he says there won't be a playbook version until RIM releases the NDK (surprised it isn't released), and it looks like he's devoting time to converting the client to OS7 right now.

So, does anyone know if there's a similar SSH client? For a tablet aimed at professionals, the lack of an SSH client is near unforgivable.
    09-08-11 07:00 AM
    There are no SSH clients as of yet unfortunately. I've been keeping an eye open for one as well. The NDK should be released in the next 2 months or so, opening up a flood of productive apps.
    09-08-11 09:26 AM
    There are no SSH clients as of yet unfortunately. I've been keeping an eye open for one as well. The NDK should be released in the next 2 months or so, opening up a flood of productive apps.
    Though right now RIM is being stingy with the closed beta and is only making it available to game developers.

However, the BBSSH guy did also manage to get himself included on it, so we at least know that he's working on the situation.
    09-08-11 11:05 AM
    Marc Paradise over at BerryReview is working on one, and is a really good guy.
    check him out here

Success! Working native SSH on PlayBook | marcparadise.com
    09-08-11 11:06 AM
    For those who don't know, "Marc Paradise" and "the BBSSH guy" are one and the same.
    09-08-11 11:11 AM
    No web clients?
    09-08-11 12:35 PM
    No web clients?
    This wouldn't be desirable, really, for SSH. I use it all day for work myself, and I wouldn't use a web SSH client unless it was to do something really simple. It'd be a PITA to use.

We really do need a native SSH client on our playbooks - it's pretty much a necessity for anyone in the system administration field, like myself.
    09-08-11 12:56 PM
    If your network security is lax enough to allow ssh from a mobile device (I don't no of any mobile VPN services), they would probably allow an app like RDM+ to be installed on your machines. Way slower than ssh, but almost as good as being on the machine itself.
    09-08-11 01:14 PM
    Once I have a telnet, ssh, and RDP app, and then of course native PIM, my experience will be complete with the playbook
    09-08-11 01:19 PM
    I hope there's something soon. Not having an SSH client is the one thing that stops me from replacing my laptop.
    09-25-11 12:13 PM
    It's possible nothing can be released before the NDK is publicly available, but I'm sure it won't be long. (Anyone know if those with access to the beta NDK are allowed to distribute apps created with it, through App World?)
    09-25-11 01:56 PM
    Why can't RIM just enable shell access on the Playbook and include the Unix/QNX command line ssh program? Another option would be a GUI interface to the ssh command line program. Does Adobe Air give you access to command line programs?
    09-25-11 02:50 PM
    AIR on the PlayBook does not currently give access to command line programs (or other programs, period).

As for shell access, we already have that, using the SDK tools. That's not exactly a substitute for having an SSH client running as an app... If you mean they should provide a console app, that's an interesting idea, and perhaps one that could be done with the native SDK. Not something RIM would typically do themselves though, I think. They can't exactly build everything themselves... and that's not something most users would want (not to mention it would be a bit dangerous for many users to have access to it... the wrong cryptic Unix command and they might wipe out their shared folder files).
    09-25-11 05:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD