I'd strongly recommend that PB owners fire off cordially worded requests to sites that currently don't support this new device about when support will be forthcoming.

Below is a reply to an email I sent to Hulu customer service. Obviously other owners have requested service and these requests have put the PB on their "radar" as Stephen put it.

"Thanks for writing in about Hulu on the BlackBerry PlayBook. Unfortunately, due to the contractual agreements with our content providers, we have to have a certain set of agreements set up with a device manufacturer before we can provide support for that device. We have no partnership with BlackBerry at this time, so we can't currently stream through their device.

We get a lot of requests for BlackBerry support, so it's definitely something that's on our radar. Though we can't support it right now, we are continually evaluating new technologies, and will be adding more devices based on user demand. Stay tuned!

We have plans to bring Hulu Plus to as many devices as possible. For up to date info on which devices are currently supported or have been announced, you can go to ( Hulu - Plus ). On this page, you can even sign up to be notified of availability on upcoming devices.

If there's anything else I can address for you, please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks,
    Stephen
    Hulu Support"
    06-24-11 08:02 AM
    Keywords, "based on user demand."

Good luck with that with less than 250,000 Playbooks in people's hands around the world.
    06-24-11 10:09 AM

Good luck with that with less than 250,000 Playbooks in people's hands around the world.
    Good lord. Did somebody from RIM steal your girlfriend? You have no clue how many have been sold worldwide but I'm not surprised you guessed low and stated it as fact.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    NightSlayer and cferneyh like this.
    06-24-11 10:15 AM
    I don't know why we have to wait for websites to change for the playbook. This is RIM's responsibility as they said we would have uncompromised browsing on the playbook. We need the ability to change the playbook browser ID to IE, Firefox, or anything that will be recognized by the website makers, so we can start immediately getting into the sites we want.

My bold 9000 can do it and I was just expecting the playbook to be able to do it. This small add on feature would sure save a lot of headaches as some sites like hulu will not open up for the playbook and other sites block the playbook, or force it into a lousy mobile website version of their site. Why should we have to write letters?
    06-24-11 10:27 AM

Morgan Stanley has estimated Q2 sales jumping to 700,000 due to international demand (How many Playbooks has RIM sold? | Cantech Letter). Are you saying PB sales are trivial?
    06-24-11 11:20 AM
    where i work squeaky wheels get hit with a hammer, just saying

its weird they can only stream to devices when they have an agreement, strange this streaming business
    06-24-11 11:26 AM
    We should write letters to make providers aware of additional profits to be made by customers using PB. This is a brand spanking new device after all.

Browsing is pretty much uncompromised. Venders allowing access to supported content is not related to browsing.
    06-24-11 11:31 AM
    Actually, the low estimation of 250'000 seems right, maybe even generous. NONE of my friends are wanting the PlayBook. None at all. They wither want the Samsung Galaxy Tab or the iPad. And that's out of the 1200 people on my Facebook friends list. I personally can't see the PlayBook taking off, not here in the UK anyway.
    06-24-11 11:32 AM
    If sales were north of 250,000, they would have announced it in the meeting last week. They didn't, which means it's not.
    06-24-11 11:34 AM
    Remember, Apple and Android have years of brand awareness compared to only weeks for the PB.
    06-24-11 11:36 AM
    Already a thread in forum for this....search!

http://forums.crackberry.com/f243/bl...oposal-614511/
    06-24-11 11:39 AM
    Hulu. Hulu....hmmmm. Correct me if I'm remembering this wrong but, when the PB first dropped, wasn't it able to stream Hulu through the browser, and then Hulu did something?

I don't need you to provide "support" for the damn device, just remove the block you put in place and let it access from the browser, just like if I was on any old random PC.

My home PC was built by me and I KNOW they don't have an agreement with me. I'm just saying.
    06-24-11 11:40 AM
    Remember, Apple and Android have years of brand awareness compared to only weeks for the PB.
    PB was announced in October of last year.
    06-24-11 11:40 AM
    Not quite the entire web then! You'll see an app before you see web access, same as the other platforms. That's if the demand is there and license agreements are in place.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by xandermac; 06-24-11 at 11:46 AM.
    06-24-11 11:44 AM
    Send them an email.

Just as an aside, the mass market is a particularly odd beast. For instance, after a short disinformation campaign by the administration then in power, many in the US thought for years that Saddam was responsible for the 9/11 attacks. Some still do.
    06-24-11 11:44 AM
    Not quite the entire web then! You'll see an app before you see web access, same as the other platforms. That's if the demand is there and license agreements are in place.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    It could very well be that hulu figure that they can sell apps to access content that would otherwise be free for fully web capable mobile devices.
    06-24-11 11:49 AM
    Hulu. Hulu....hmmmm. Correct me if I'm remembering this wrong but, when the PB first dropped, wasn't it able to stream Hulu through the browser, and then Hulu did something?

I don't need you to provide "support" for the damn device, just remove the block you put in place and let it access from the browser, just like if I was on any old random PC.

My home PC was built by me and I KNOW they don't have an agreement with me. I'm just saying.
    True. I watched a video on Hulu the first day it was released. Went back after the first update (however long that was - few days?) and Hulu was blocking it.
    06-24-11 11:49 AM
    The app will be free but will probably be hulu+ only, same as other platforms.

06-24-11 11:52 AM
    PB was announced in October of last year.
    C'mon now, the device was only released weeks ago.
    06-24-11 11:52 AM
    The app will be free but will probably be hulu+ only, same as other platforms.

Might very well be free but then again, it would be as redundant as the crackberry app that I never use. However, if they feel they want to create an app in order to control access it would the easiest app they ever built seeing as how it would only involve a simple permission of sorts as the content from the web site works perfectly on fully web capable browsers such as that found on the PB.
    06-24-11 11:57 AM
    It's Hulu's business model to sell Hulu Plus on mobile devices. I know it seems to some that they should provide everything to everyone for free, but its not how they planned their business.

And for those saying that its RIM's fault that not every random site on the web works on the pb, you need to look into how the web works.
    06-24-11 11:57 AM
    All we need is the functionality to be able to change browser identification
    06-24-11 12:02 PM
    C'mon now, the device was only released weeks ago.
    They've had since last October, when it was announced, to market and brand the Playbook. Instead, they chose to do nothing. Nothing stir up any interest whatsoever in device.

Outside this forum, most people didn't even know it was being released, nor cared. A month after release, and it appears they still don't care.
    06-24-11 12:11 PM
    Just as I wrote earlier: brand recognition.

There are other threads discussing RIM's marketing savy.
    06-24-11 12:16 PM
    To be honest I really want hulu but I dont want to pay(hulu plus)i rather go to crackle or whatever free sites.
    06-24-11 12:24 PM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD