1. Greg Harrop's Avatar
    i spilled some liquid on my playbook and now will only run when plugged in? Battery says fully charged and i ran "battery guru" and says battery is 83%. As soon as unplug the unit is unresponsive. What can i do?
    03-13-13 05:31 PM
  2. Fubaz's Avatar
    you could try replacing the batteries, there are 2 and they are under the back.

    BUT in my opinion it will cost you more than it is worth. I would find a cheap replacment
    03-13-13 05:43 PM
  3. Greg Harrop's Avatar
    if it is the battery, why does it say that it is at 83%
    03-13-13 05:51 PM
  4. slparry's Avatar
    try putting it into a sealed container of rice (make sure it's covered) for a few days to see if the rice can absorb the moisture
    03-13-13 05:52 PM
  5. SEAWARRIOR's Avatar
    try putting it into a sealed container of rice (make sure it's covered) for a few days to see if the rice can absorb the moisture
    i was just thinking about this,,, i was gonna ask how long ago the accident happened,,, hopefully it wasn't soda, or some other sticky stuff,,, the syrup or whatever would get fluid again every time the batteries got warm,,, the rice trick works for most, if not all, electronic spillage/moisture issues...
    03-13-13 06:11 PM
  6. FF22's Avatar
    Or place the pb in front of a steady stream of warm moving air. You can gently pry the back off and see if you can dry it quicker. I'd refrain from using it for a day or so if you are trying to slowly dry it out so you don't do MORE electrical damage.

    Good luck.
    03-13-13 08:49 PM
  7. rotorwrench's Avatar
    Good advice above. I would definitely power it off, separate the case with a phone tool (cheap) or a nylon wedge of some type. I even made a good one by shaving a cheap plastic comb to a chisel looking tip. Let it dry like that, preferably with warm air blowing over it as previously recommended. The battery connections are exposed but the batteries themselves sealed. Make sure all connection and the motherboard are dry as well. It doesn't take but a few careful minutes to open it, so well worth the trouble. Good luck.
    03-14-13 02:20 AM
  8. I am JT's Avatar
    I dropped mine into water and using a hair dryer on the lowest setting and all week sitting in rice it was good as new. Typing on it now.
    03-14-13 10:04 AM
  9. dphjeff's Avatar
    I would split the case and see whats going on inside there and get it cleaned up.
    03-14-13 02:07 PM
  10. project_x's Avatar
    I have a playbook in my hands, that I just got from my sister in law, that she dropped in a puddle 6 months ago.
    It runs as long as it is plugged in, won't charge (says it is 49%)X battery guru shows it is charging, but at 0.00watts...

    I'm going to crack it to see if there is any corrosion...and go from there. Any suggestions?

    Posted via CB10
    03-14-13 05:23 PM
  11. FF22's Avatar
    That's interesting - two pb's that work when plugged in but will no longer charge after exposure to WET. I guess the charging circuit is "fragile" and exposure to water ruins it in some way. Obviously, like other electronics, they should be powered off as soon as the exposure occurs and dried out if possible before applying power again.

    Good luck to all.
    03-14-13 06:06 PM
  12. Chaddface's Avatar
    How about the refrigerator? That's a fairly dry place and above freezing.
    03-14-13 08:38 PM
  13. SEAWARRIOR's Avatar
    How about the refrigerator? That's a fairly dry place and above freezing.
    that may be an issue if condensation forms upon removal because of the temp change,,, ever put on sun/glasses on a cold/cool day???
    03-14-13 09:33 PM
  14. Chaddface's Avatar
    ever put on sun/glasses on a cold/cool day???
    Actually no, I can't remember the last time I wore sunglasses, but I get your point. My house is in the 60's so it's not something I would worry about. I could see it being an issue if your ambient temp is warm and humid though.
    SEAWARRIOR likes this.
    03-14-13 09:50 PM
  15. rotorwrench's Avatar
    I have a playbook in my hands, that I just got from my sister in law, that she dropped in a puddle 6 months ago.
    It runs as long as it is plugged in, won't charge (says it is 49%)X battery guru shows it is charging, but at 0.00watts...

    I'm going to crack it to see if there is any corrosion...and go from there. Any suggestions?

    Posted via CB10

    You can buy one of two products called Corrosion X or ACF50, and VERY carefully/sparingly spray any suspected corroded contacts or connections. Some hardware and industrial supply stores are now carrying it. It will kill any corrosion and prevent any new, as well as displacing moisture. It is totally safe for electronics and won't harm platics. We use it on aircraft and their avionics, so if it's safe for a $75,000 avionics stack, I'm sure it won't hurt the PB. The stuff has an amazing creeping ability and will migrate between ANY two pieces of material. Worth a try.
    03-15-13 01:46 AM

Similar Threads

  1. Blackberry only works when plugged in
    By mmcinerney in forum BlackBerry Bold 9700
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-15-11, 01:41 PM
  2. Alarm only sounds when plugged in
    By cyclonegop in forum BlackBerry Bold 9650
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-21-10, 11:28 PM
  3. red light when plugged in but wont turn on
    By seaningle1 in forum General BlackBerry Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 05-24-10, 10:33 PM
  4. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-22-09, 11:41 AM
  5. Display always on when plugged in.
    By Rob128 in forum BlackBerry Bold 9000
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-15-09, 07:58 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD