View Poll Results: Which applications need typing aids the most?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Blackberry bridge

4 22.22%
  • Documents to go

4 22.22%
  • Browser

5 27.78%
  • Other

5 27.78%
    For a little clarification and some debate on this topic:

WORD TO GO
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Has spell check and word substitution
    Works well! Autocorrect might be cool though...

Would you guys like to see an option for autocorrect on this as well?
    Maybe "Add to dictionary" would be cool too? Any other suggestions?

BROWSER
    ------------------------------------------------------
    This is probably website dependent. I know crackberry has spell check, and if you right click you can get word substitution. On the playbook, I think you only get spell check...(correct me if I'm wrong)

I don't know enough about this, but could RIM enable word substitution or autocorrect here?

APP WORLD
    NOTHING (only needed for searching, not really important)

EMAIL, CALENDAR, CONTACTS, TASKS, MEMO, BBM OVER BRIDGE
    Spell check only
    No Word substitution or autocorrect
    I think the playbook should have the same word substitution and autocorrect as our BB's BBM. Don't you think? AND have the add to dictionary cause we all have our own words we love to use. like "aight B, yooo broseph wat u sayin?" etc...

And I think we want this for all our bridge applications. I think this is everyone's biggest gripe. Writing emails lazily is what we do best. We need this.

EXCEL TO GO
    ----------------------------------------------------
    NOTHING, (not needed really)

Any other applications you want these features on?
    08-23-11 08:54 AM
    Aren't Word Substitution and Autocorrect simply two aspects of the same software functionality, which used to be called "Auto-text"? That is, you have a dictionary of items, including commonly misspelled words, and when you type one, followed by a space or punctuation mark, the correctly spelled word or substitution word or phrase, is swapped in.

At any rate, I think Auto-text should be system-wide on the PB, as it is on the BB. Currently, it only works in Bridge functions, where it appears to read the Word Substitution dictionary from the BB. The PB apparently applies its own rules, however, because it's a bit buggy compared to the BB. For example, punctuation marks don't trigger the substitutions on the PB as they do on the BB.

On the BB, the OS is smart enough not to activate Auto-text in places where you wouldn't want it, such as Google Search entry boxes. Otherwise, it works across apps, Memo Pad, Word to Go, browser text entry boxes, and so on. For some reason, it doesn't work in the BB Evernote app, which is one reason why I don't use that app. Other than that, it works pretty much everywhere one would want it to.

This is how it should be on the PB.

Ideally, the PB should be able to import the BB dictionary, or sync with it. For example, there could be some sort of Bridge option to import the BB dictionary and or export it to the BB, so that items added on PB could be added to BB too. For those who don't have a BB or Bridge, the dictionary should be customizable manually, as it is on the BB, and then saved along with other data during backups.

This, along with smart Capitalization and punctuation, would go a long way toward making the PB a more professional-feeling device for anyone who does any serious amount of text entry. If there's any single thing that shouldn't have to wait for OS 2.0, this is it.
    mapsonburt likes this.
    08-23-11 09:23 AM
    By word substitution, I mean suggesting words to substitute for your word. By autocorrect, I mean actually automatically correcting the spelling of your word without you choosing the right word.

And ONLY spell check works on the playbook, all it does is underline the word in red when a word is spelled wrong. There is no word substitution or autocorrect on the playbook as of now.
    08-23-11 09:33 AM
    I wish there was an "all of the above". I spell like a 5 year old and need all the help I can get.
    08-23-11 09:42 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD