As quoted by Lucas Atkins. Founder of N4BB, formerly Blackberry Leaks

" I also met with RIM�s VP for securing leading apps to the BlackBerry platform. You can expect to see Skype and much more in the near future."

This was taken from his comment , in the comments section of the article link provided below....I trust that he is correct. Lucas Atkins has a nearly 99.99 % credibility in terms of providing accurate info pertaining to BB. Skype is owned by Microsoft, and Skype was only made available to Windows Phone recently. IMHO I expect many offerings from Microsoft to be made available soon for the PB, as well future BB10 offerings

What’s Coming? New 7″ & 10″ PlayBook, One BlackBerry 10 Phone, Two Curves and More | N4BB - News for BlackBerry - leaks, rumors, videos, faqs, reviews
    Last edited by missing_K-W; 01-17-12 at 07:41 AM.
    01-17-12 07:17 AM
    Great news!

Mobile post via Tapatalk
    aaniceta likes this.
    01-17-12 07:18 AM
    I hope this is true, I was loosing hope.
    01-17-12 07:34 AM
    That would be great. I've tried reelportal, but not only do you have to get others to install it on their PC, but you also have to explain it to them.
    01-17-12 07:51 AM
    waiting skype realese so long..it should be release this year!
    01-17-12 07:59 AM
    take it with a grain of salt.... Last I heard from the inside that it is not coming because of MS owning Skype now. And that was reiterated last week by my ex's brother (who works at RIM as a Network engineer)
    01-17-12 08:01 AM
    I don't put too much stock in MS being the reason. Why make it available on Android?

Mobile post via Tapatalk
    01-17-12 08:05 AM
    If you go back to early May of last year the news was about RIM and MSFT getting it all together. Maybe there is a quid pro quo here.

"Steve Ballmer just took the stage at Research In Motion's conference to announce a new partnership between Microsoft and RIM.

Bing search and maps are now the default on BlackBerrys at the OS level, says analyst Michael Gartenberg, who is on hand.

Ballmer also said Microsoft would invest "uniquely" in BlackBerry services."

Read more: Steve Ballmer Announces Big Partnership With Research In Motion - Business Insider
    01-17-12 08:11 AM
    take it with a grain of salt.... Last I heard from the inside that it is not coming because of MS owning Skype now. And that was reiterated last week by my ex's brother (who works at RIM as a Network engineer)
    I feel that MS owning Skype allows for a far greater likelyhood of having Skype on the BB platform. MS does after all have an ongoing strategic partnership with RIM. I would trust that the VP Lucas Atkins is refering to is Alec Saunders. Those who frequent the forums are all well aware of who Alec is, and the role he is playing at RIM.

Although your contact may be a network engineer for RIM, we are all well aware of how different teams at RIM (and other companies), aren't that aware of what is correctly going on between different divisions at said company. We see this all the time in demo videos, often times from more senior employee's having knowledge of other teams projects or current working affairs
    Last edited by missing_K-W; 01-17-12 at 08:23 AM.
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    01-17-12 08:12 AM
    Maybe we won't need Skype

Maybe, for OS2 and with the MS - BB partnership renewed, the pb video app will have the ability to easily connect to Skypies.
    Just Me and bluetroll like this.
    01-17-12 08:36 AM
    I feel that MS owning Skype allows for a far greater likelyhood of having Skype on the BB platform. MS does after all have an ongoing strategic partnership with RIM. I would trust that the VP Lucas Atkins is refering to is Alec Saunders. Those who frequent the forums are all well aware of who Alec is, and the role he is playing at RIM.

Although your contact may be a network engineer for RIM, we are all well aware of how different teams at RIM (and other companies), aren't that aware of what is correctly going on between different divisions at said company. We see this all the time in demo videos, often times from more senior employee's having knowledge of other teams projects or current working affairs
    Yup I know Alec (not on a personal level, but i follow him on twitter lol) and that's why I'm saying take it with a grain of salt, until its concrete, its all speculation. It would be nice to get so people can finally shut up about it.

But remember, there was a lot of speculation that MS office would be coming to the PB as well, and that hasn't happened either. And I am fully aware of the relationship RIM and MS have, so who knows. All I am saying right now, is take it with a grain of salt, because I would love to have it as I said, but I need the big boys to say its coming.
    01-17-12 08:38 AM
    Let's just hope that's not just to get pagehits...
    01-17-12 08:44 AM
    Yup I know Alec (not on a personal level, but i follow him on twitter lol) and that's why I'm saying take it with a grain of salt, until its concrete, its all speculation. It would be nice to get so people can finally shut up about it.

But remember, there was a lot of speculation that MS office would be coming to the PB as well, and that hasn't happened either. And I am fully aware of the relationship RIM and MS have, so who knows. All I am saying right now, is take it with a grain of salt, because I would love to have it as I said, but I need the big boys to say its coming.
    I definitely take it with a grain of salt....I was the one who inserted "speculation" in the thread title .....lol. I for one have no interest in skype, however it would definitely make a lot of people around here happy
    01-17-12 08:45 AM
    I could have told you that. Skype is coming soon. Netflix is coming soon.

See? Pretty easy.
    howarmat and Just Me like this.
    01-17-12 08:53 AM

MS has just released part 1 of 2 of their Office Suite for Symbian. Those apps are written in Qt. So it would only be a matter of changing the UI to bring it to the Playbook after their rollout for Symbian is complete. The only question is if MS wants to bring it to the Playbook.
    Last edited by Gerii; 02-17-12 at 12:32 PM.
    02-17-12 12:24 PM
    I don't put too much stock in MS being the reason. Why make it available on Android?

Mobile post via Tapatalk
    It was available for Android before Microsoft bought Skype....
    02-17-12 12:38 PM
    My sources at rim are testing netflix and Skype on their beta playbook. So they will come. It is just a matter of time
    02-17-12 12:42 PM
    My sources at rim are testing netflix and Skype on their beta playbook. So they will come. It is just a matter of time
    Care to add some credibility to your post by describing not necessarily who your sources are, but perhaps how you infact have sources?
    02-17-12 12:45 PM
    You just joined today and this is your first post. Interesting!
    02-17-12 12:46 PM
    Yes it is my first post and as a Skype fan I have been waiting patiently for it to come to the pb. I use Skype on my phone to see my kids to bed when I work late. As for my sources. I know netflix and Skype are coming because the person who has a beta pb had shown me when they brought their beta pb home. I would not waste my time posting something if I only heard.
    02-17-12 02:10 PM
    Yes it is my first post and as a Skype fan I have been waiting patiently for it to come to the pb. I use Skype on my phone to see my kids to bed when I work late. As for my sources. I know netflix and Skype are coming because the person who has a beta pb had shown me when they brought their beta pb home. I would not waste my time posting something if I only heard.
    Well this is refreshing news If true....Thanks!
    02-17-12 02:12 PM
    Great username. Kind of leads one to believe you may be full of it.
    02-17-12 02:14 PM
    Lol. Believe what you want. I'm pretty sure both will come out on a later update this year. Like I said I'm also waiting.
    02-17-12 02:19 PM
    really??? Well a Beta OS2 with the Skype app from Android App Market is the possibility.. because the RIM employee that I know personally does not have it and he gets the daily updates as he is on the Network Development team and there is NO Skype.... So move on....
    02-17-12 02:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD