If theories are to be believed, the PlayBook WiFi is becoming scarcer and scarcer at retail, with many retailers no longer carrying it at all. Some analysts estimated that BlackBerry built or bought inventory to build about 2.5 million WiFi PlayBook before pulling back on production and/or ordering parts for more.

If this is true, BlackBerry is getting quite low on WiFi inventory, having shipped 2.365 million by the beginning of last March.

Since they announce the PlayBook line in their quarterly earnings, they'll probably have to make a statement about what they are doing with the line, if they are mostly out of them. It doesn't make sense for them to keep breaking out PlayBook LTE numbers, since the distribution of these is much more narrow and done in limited corporate sales. So they'll probably say one of a few things:

- We're sold out of wifi PlayBooks and aren't making more. (They did this with the 16 GB model)
    - We are focused on selling the LTE model to corporations and through carrier and corporate resellers (they've said this before)

and then maybe:

- We will no longer break out PlayBook sales until we have an update on the line
    - We are getting out of the tablet business
    - Here's a new PlayBook model, plus the WiFi and LTE ones will get the BlackBerry 10 update that ships on this device.

I imagine they have to say something though
    05-21-13 01:30 PM
    I have a feeling they will try to say as little as possible. Numbers if only they need to, and no future plans.
    FF22 likes this.
    05-21-13 02:00 PM
    Would be nice if they said something definitive.
    05-21-13 02:23 PM
    Chances are they won't say anything about an update, but they will mention number of units sold. I can say however BlackBerry does drop small hints about things like that during earnings calls.

Posted via CB10
    05-21-13 07:56 PM
    - Here's a new PlayBook model, plus the WiFi and LTE ones will get the BlackBerry 10 update that ships on this device.
    They won't announce a new product in an earnings call.

Next call is June 28th.
    05-21-13 08:42 PM
    I doubt they will say much. I get the impression they feel they don't need to do or say much about the PB. I don't agree with it but fact are facts.I guess in the smartphone world 2.5M tablets is peanuts. Again, I don't agree with how they have handled this and from what the company has and really,still is going through the negative publicity probably is something they should allocate some resources too. The company obviously thinks that the costs do not match the rewards. They may be right as they are the only one with access to the numbers to work out the equation.
    05-21-13 10:21 PM
    I hope this is true but not holding my breath.

A side note, I've seen in some other threads where some posters say "Why would BlackBerry give us BB10 on a tablet 2 years old... how would this benefit Blackberry?"

Thought about this and thinking WHY NOT? There are close to 2.5 million Play books out there... If they are running BB10, that's 2.5 million MORE BB10 devices to purchase apps from the App Store. And another 2.5 million reasons for Dev firms like Netflix or Instagram to build an app for BB10.

Does this make sense? Or am I way off.. lol

Posted via CB10
    eddy_berry likes this.
    05-21-13 10:37 PM
    I hope this is true but not holding my breath.

A side note, I've seen in some other threads where some posters say "Why would BlackBerry give us BB10 on a tablet 2 years old... how would this benefit Blackberry?"

Thought about this and thinking WHY NOT? There are close to 2.5 million Play books out there... If they are running BB10, that's 2.5 million MORE BB10 devices to purchase apps from the App Store. And another 2.5 million reasons for Dev firms like Netflix or Instagram to build an app for BB10.

Does this make sense? Or am I way off.. lol

Posted via CB10
    You are probably not WAY off! I don't recall how much rim/bbry makes per app sold but it is probably not huge but still it is money. But the real question is how many pb's are really out there anymore and waiting for bb10. I still think GOOD WILL has to be counted for something. The company has given its word on more than one occasion. Did they misplay that hand? Perhaps the task is too much but I still don't count them liars at this time. I'm not happy with their repeated vagueness and attempts at sidestepping the questions. But we have little choice...........
    eddy_berry likes this.
    05-21-13 11:08 PM