05-22-13 03:41 AM
60 123
tools
    BT might be adequate for the current PlayBook. WiFi-Direct would provide better bandwidth for, say, a 1080p tablet.

From the awesome virtual keyboard of my Z10
    05-19-13 09:59 PM
    Interesting. It does have limits that will make bb10 on PB uncomfortable

Posted via CB10
    05-19-13 10:03 PM
    ...Anyway I'm not a fanboy so I'm not giving BBRY a free pass for treating PB users so poorly. Those idiots running the show at Waterloo have completely lost any respect I had for them.
    How much respect was that, exactly? Did you respect them more for the Storm?

KermEd likes this.
    05-19-13 10:06 PM
    How much respect was that, exactly? Did you respect them more for the Storm?

BBRY is a phone company not your spouse. You show them respect by buying there product, they give it back by supporting it.
    05-19-13 10:42 PM
    BBRY is a phone company not your spouse. You show them respect by buying there product, they give it back by supporting it for as long as it is profitable to do so.
    Fixed that for ya

Posted via CB10
    05-19-13 11:59 PM
    Nah, they promised an upgrade not a dumbgrade. Can't see it happening and can't see people liking the idea either. Why take one bottle into the shower when you can take two? If an update comes they would be better off fixing the few items that niggle folk, browser, bridge, not changing it's entire way of use.

Posted via CB10
    FF22 and tufcustomer like this.
    05-20-13 02:12 AM
    So an early adopter has a $500+ device and now needs another $500 device to actually use it - genius.

I understand your reasoning but I don't think that's BBRY's vision - I think their vision is for your phone to effectively 'hijack' ANY local display ( but will have to have a higher reolution ) like a tv or monitor to display whats on your 'phone' almost like a VNC connection. However - seeing as BBRY have not communicated their vison with any detail or clarity, just vague suppositions, then we won't know until the deign to tell us - but that'll be soon, or maybe next quarter or even by the end of 2013

No - I think it's all up for the PB, prepare yourselves to scour BBRY news for a quietly released press release stating the PB is discontinued - probably on a 'good news day' like when BBM comes to Android or iOS so the detractors fail to see it.
    05-20-13 03:28 AM
    Sorry, BBRY's "vision" is to lurch about like a half-dismembered zombie spewing messianic prophecies while waiting for the real cure i.e. a buyout by a tech giant with an eye on its patents.
    05-20-13 06:05 AM
    You have hit the nail on the head my friend. BBRY's new phones will become so efficient and powerful.....you won't need a full tablet......just a BBRY screen to receive the data stream from your BBRY phone via either Bluetooth or wireless.
    05-20-13 06:14 AM
    They don't respect playbook's customer
    05-20-13 08:06 AM
    The whole idea of a dumb or limited device when it comes to my Playbook seem to me to quite stupid. I did not pay for a toy to make my screen bigger. I paid for an independent device that utilized my Blackberry for external communications. I will never upgrade to any limited device. If Blackberry does this I will dump my Playbook and get an iPad.
    05-20-13 08:14 AM
    While I have no idea if you are correct, I am impresses with this hypothesis. Definitely some original thinking. Building upon your train of thought what if you didnt have to choose? Maybe you could boot two different OSs on the PB. Once is the current OS 2.1 and the other is the 'dumb' BB10 OS which requires a BB10 devices...

Not sure if there is enough room on the HD to do this....
    05-20-13 08:22 AM
    Interestingly enough, OP may not be the only one thinking this way.

BlackBerry CEO likes tablets, just not as they are | Mobile - CNET News

To quote the article:

"Heins' goal is to transform the tablet experience so they don't run on a separate operating system. Instead, they potentially could rely on a BlackBerry to act as the brains of the device. The tablet could be a larger screen without an OS of its own. "
    05-20-13 11:30 AM
    you mean the device path they started down originally?
    05-20-13 11:46 AM
    The requirement of having a BB phone is ridiculous, for many reasons.

For me, I no longer need a smart phone so I do not have a BB, anymore. The only reason that I was looking forward to BB10 was to , hopefully, get a better browser and email app, and Skype would be nice. So, if they can provide that, in 2, fine. But, why would they want to maintain 3 separate OS's?

Having worked for computer and software manufacturers for many years, I suspect that, if they do not produce some form of 10, for the Playbook, they will just stop supporting 2 and we will be cast adrift.
    05-20-13 11:59 AM

For me, I no longer need a smart phone so I do not have a BB, anymore. The only reason that I was looking forward to BB10 was to , hopefully, get a better browser and email app, and Skype would be nice. So, if they can provide that, in 2, fine. But, why would they want to maintain 3 separate OS's?

Having worked for computer and software manufacturers for many years, I suspect that, if they do not produce some form of 10, for the Playbook, they will just stop supporting 2 and we will be cast adrift.
    Again, it wouldn't be "3 separate OS's", because the "dumb terminal" wouldn't run an OS.

As I said in my OP, I think they'd update OS2.1 for users who still wanted a self-contained tablet (and/or didn't have a BB10 device to connect it to). The "dumb terminal" idea, to the user, would look EXACTLY like BB10 running natively, only better. There might even be OS differences for the tablet. Given that it would actually be running on the phone, with its faster processor, updated graphics subsystem, and doubled RAM, I can guarantee you it would run better than BB10 would run natively on the 1.2GHz, 1GB RAM WiFi Playbook.

The only catch is, yes, you'd need to have your phone with you. For many users, that wouldn't be an issue. In fact, gaming for Q10 users suddenly becomes a possibility. Oops, another catch: the screen itself wouldn't be bad for battery consumption, but the phone would likely drain fairly quickly; aux battery packs would likely become more common.
    05-20-13 01:32 PM

agreed I do not have a cell phone land line is all I need. id rather not be bugged when I'm out
    05-20-13 01:40 PM
    In the midst of all this heated discussion about the lack of word about the PlayBook update at BB Live, a thought struck me. One that would actually explain some of the odd gaps in BB's communications, and even account for some of Heins' recent comments predicting the demise of the self-contained tablet...

How's this: BB ultimately maintains 2 platforms for the PlayBook. The current OS2.1 platform would be maintained, along with its ecosystem of the existing App, Music, and Video stores. An optional BB10 update really IS coming, but there's a catch: the PlayBook would no longer be an independent device. It would essentially become a "dumb" screen for a BB10 phone, and would be completely dependent on it.

For customers still on the "old" BBOS, they'd maintain full Bridge functionality (my scenario would see little if any compatibility with BBOS devices for a BB10 PlayBook). I'd hope we'd see an "OS2.2" that would, say, include some Cascades UI libraries and the BB10 browser, but little else.

The dumb tablet idea for BB10 is attractive from both a technical standpoint and a business one. There'd be no discussion about PBOS devs migrating their apps to BB10, because the tablet would just connect to the phone and act as a screen for its apps. And that pesky RAM limitation wouldn't be an issue.

The catch? You could have EITHER a standalone OS2.1 PlayBook, OR a dumb tablet that essentially acts as a remote screen for a BB10 phone, but not both. Which is sure to attract criticism.

BTW, this also explains some of the delay for the update. WiFi-direct is coming with BB10.2, which would be a much-preferred way to communicate with such a "dumb screen" than Bluetooth...
    If this is the future of PB, I throw it in the bin. Don't you understand guys? Heins is trying to fool you. Heins problem is, that he has no competitive product. He relaized that promising users to bring OS 10 to PB was a mistake; because of that he is talking all the bullsh.. about tablets have no future bla bla bla...
    05-20-13 02:09 PM
    If this is the future of PB, I throw it in the bin. Don't you understand guys? Heins is trying to fool you. Heins problem is, that he has no competitive product. He relaized that promising users to bring OS 10 to PB was a mistake; because of that he is talking all the bullsh.. about tablets have no future bla bla bla...
    I don't get why this is "not competitive". If you can provide a better experience for less money that sounds extremely competitive.

05-20-13 03:23 PM
    I don't get why this is "not competitive". If you can provide a better experience for less money that sounds extremely competitive.

competitive and value added
    05-20-13 03:50 PM

As long as they don't do it to my pb, they can make as many other dumb devices as they want. Where will the cameras be located for "skype" type functions? Will I be staring at the larger dumb screen with its camera(s) or do I need to have my phone propped up on some easel?
    05-20-13 04:02 PM
    [Speculation] BB10 is coming to the PlayBook, but...-img-20130520-wa001.jpg

Posted via CB10
    05-20-13 04:04 PM
    While I have no idea if you are correct, I am impresses with this hypothesis. Definitely some original thinking. Building upon your train of thought what if you didnt have to choose? Maybe you could boot two different OSs on the PB. Once is the current OS 2.1 and the other is the 'dumb' BB10 OS which requires a BB10 devices...

Not sure if there is enough room on the HD to do this....
    Actually, as I've thought about it more, this strikes me as a possibility. Say, a "2.2" PBOS upgrade, with a BB10 "Bridge" client in the form of a terminal client...
    05-20-13 04:06 PM
    As long as they don't do it to my pb, they can make as many other dumb devices as they want. Where will the cameras be located for "skype" type functions? Will I be staring at the larger dumb screen with its camera(s) or do I need to have my phone propped up on some easel?
    No, the device's camera would still be usable. As I say, to the USER, the operation would seem like BB10 on the tablet. Better, because by using the phone's superior CPU, GPU and RAM it would look better than what the PB's own hardware could render.
    05-20-13 04:10 PM
    I bought a Playbook full price when it came out and waited for all the weak updates and apps that never materialized. But these last two broken promises have pushed me over the edge:
    - No BB10 for Playbook
    - BBM released to IPhone and Android but NOT to PlayBook!
    Goodbye BlackBerry. No more phones. No more tablets. No more lies.
    05-20-13 09:59 PM
60 123