Hey all.

So I think we have one last shot for BB10 on the PlayBook.

I'm not a developer, so I don't follow the details of dev OS and SDK releases too closely, but so far we get new device support added in the point releases of BB10.

1) Around Dec/Jan: BB 10.0 gold SDK and a stripped-down BB 10.0 dev OS were released with support for Z10 only. (The dev OS ran on Dev Alpha A/B if I recall.)

2) Around March/April: BB 10.1 gold SDK and a stripped-down BB 10.1 dev OS were released with support for Z10 and Q10. (The dev OS ran on Z10 and Dev Alpha C.)

So given the fact BB10 apps will need some changes to run on PlayBook BB10 and that the 10.2 SDK beta is due in June, my guess is that:

3) In June: BB 10.2 beta SDK and a stripped-down BB 10.2 dev OS will be released with support for Z10, Q10 (and Q5), and PlayBook. Even if we don't get a dev OS in June, we'd hopefully see some signs in the SDK re: PlayBook support.

What got me thinking that this was the case was the BB Mexican Twitter post talking about a PlayBook OS release in a few weeks:

http://forums.crackberry.com/news-ru...-weeks-809787/

That would line up nicely with a June 10.2 SDK release, but it'd be pretty easy for a social-media flack at BB to get confused about the difference between a dev OS and real-OS BB10 release for PlayBook.

Anyway, I think people expecting something tangible for BB10 PlayBook at BB Live weren't really thinking too clearly. BB10 for PlayBook will most likely show up first in an SDK release, so I think the June 10.2 beta SDK will either bring either really good news or silence (which will be very ominous) on the PlayBook BB10 front.
    05-21-13 03:46 PM
    I hope you're right.
    MasterOfBinary likes this.
    05-21-13 03:53 PM
    That Mexican tweet was deleted and the poster is probably looking for a new job now.

Until a definite announcement comes straight from the donkey's mouth a.k.a. Thorsten Heins, then I'll keep thinking BB10 for PlayBook is a pipe dream.
    Eskibo likes this.
    05-21-13 03:54 PM
    Until a definite announcement comes straight from the donkey's mouth a.k.a. Thorsten Heins, then I'll keep thinking BB10 for PlayBook is a pipe dream.
    That's a fairly understandable position, I just think that BB10 for PB was a bad topic generally for BBLive (keep the focus on the future and the positive, not the past and the negative), so it made a lot of sense for them to gloss over it at the conference. There's less media distraction that can result during an SDK release.

I'm not completely sold on what'll be released re: PlayBook in June, but if 10.2 gold SDK goes live (targetted for Aug, I believe) with no mention of the PlayBook, I, too, will be in the PlayBook is dead camp.
    05-21-13 04:12 PM
    With all the competition in the tablet market, if in fact BB is planning to update the Playbook software to BB 10, wouldn't they state this to keep sales up? Dosn't make sense to keep it a secret. Omly hurting the Playbook image and sales.
    05-21-13 04:21 PM
    I think the only thing wrong here is that the Q5 is running 10.3

Posted via CB10
    05-21-13 04:26 PM
    I think the only thing wrong here is that the Q5 is running 10.3

Posted via CB10
    Really? I thought Q5 availabilty was July, which was before the August 10.2 gold date. I'm assuming 10.1 supports Q5 since it has identical resolution to Q10 and has no additional hardware features.

If Q5 is running 10.3 then my theory goes out the window.
    05-21-13 04:34 PM
    Nope sorry ny bad I thought was 10.3 was actually 10.1.3 lol my bad

Posted via CB10
    05-21-13 05:03 PM
    Considering that the BBUI Playbook native screen resolution support has been pulled since BB10 R6, it appears highly unlikely that it would be just added back in on a whim. The game Blackberry is playing is that the ever dwindling Playbook community will just give up and forget and buy whatever they want to force down your throats.
    05-21-13 06:28 PM
    It took RIM 2 years to make BlackBerry 10.

It took them 3 months to optimize it for the Q10.

It will take them at least 4 months to optimize it for the playbook. Keep in mind the playbook doesn't have a cellular radio, or Nfc. And the specs are different than the z10 or q10. Plus screen size and resolution. Their is a lot of differences between the BlackBerry 10 versions for full touch and qwerty so it would make sense it would take a little while longer to get it optimal for tablet use.

Posted via CB10
    Technology83 likes this.
    05-21-13 06:46 PM
    Considering that the BBUI Playbook native screen resolution support has been pulled since BB10 R6, it appears highly unlikely that it would be just added back in on a whim. The game Blackberry is playing is that the ever dwindling Playbook community will just give up and forget and buy whatever they want to force down your throats.
    Wow, I didn't realise they'd previously supported the PlayBook res and then removed it. As I said, I don't follow the SDK details too closely, was this support removed before or after Heins said "later this year"?
    05-21-13 09:24 PM
    Playbook may only get 10.1.103 for now

Posted via CB10
    05-21-13 09:56 PM

Posted via CB10
    Fairly specific with the version number there. What makes you say that?
    05-21-13 10:43 PM

Posted via CB10
    And now you went off and got yourself fired. Why, xamdam? Why?
    05-22-13 01:08 AM
    During the live sessions there was a session about optimizing your Cascades app for different screen sizes, and the description stated: "Including Playbook support"

The 10.2 SDK should have BB Playbook Cascades support
    05-22-13 02:36 AM
    During the live sessions there was a session about optimizing your Cascades app for different screen sizes, and the description stated: "Including Playbook support"

The 10.2 SDK should have BB Playbook Cascades support
    But if I recall, that was revised at the session and pb was not addressed. Or one of the two sessions that originally mentioned pb, did not in the actual workshop.
    05-22-13 08:47 AM
    With all the competition in the tablet market, if in fact BB is planning to update the Playbook software to BB 10, wouldn't they state this to keep sales up? Dosn't make sense to keep it a secret. Omly hurting the Playbook image and sales.
    I'm surprised they haven't sold out of them yet. Didn't they quit manufacturing them a long time ago?
    FF22 likes this.
    05-22-13 08:55 AM
    I'm surprised they haven't sold out of them yet. Didn't they quit manufacturing them a long time ago?
    Eh, like my home, you always discover something hidden in a corner and it is not always solely cobwebs! A separate stockpile reserved for one or two of those "As seen on TV" stores.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    05-22-13 09:17 AM
    Did anyone go to the developer sessions which were supposed to mention the PlayBook? Did you see any portents of doom or did BBRY pretend the PB didn't exist?
    05-22-13 10:31 AM
    And now you went off and got yourself fired. Why, xamdam? Why?
    Fired?

I never worked for Blackberry or any dev of the OS.

It was posted a few days ago that it was spotted by a user I assume is a DEV in the roadmap and that was the version listed for playbook.
    05-22-13 10:44 AM
    OS 10 only come to playbook if they get more memory free. I don't see that happen so there will be no bb10 for playbook. The are trying but it's better to get a compatible OS 2.3 which can run bb10 apps and also jellybean.update with new browser, keyboard etc just the feel OS 10.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    05-22-13 03:27 PM
    Thanks for your comment, and is true it make sense......
    05-22-13 09:38 PM
    Did anyone go to the developer sessions which were supposed to mention the PlayBook? Did you see any portents of doom or did BBRY pretend the PB didn't exist?
    This would be great to know. If the PlayBook was left out of the sessions they'd originally planned to mention it in, that's a very bad sign...
    05-23-13 03:42 AM
    OS 10 only come to playbook if they get more memory free. I don't see that happen so there will be no bb10 for playbook. The are trying but it's better to get a compatible OS 2.3 which can run bb10 apps and also jellybean.update with new browser, keyboard etc just the feel OS 10.
    How boring to read these 2GB MEMORY posts all the time again and again. Seems you all know so much more and yourr wisdom is not just based on speculation as ours is because we still wait for an official answer.
    05-23-13 04:16 AM
    Playbook doesn't really need the OS update, all it needs is better and more apps. But again, this is what I think..
    05-23-13 05:45 AM
27 12