I have looked around for the answer, but haven't found it.

Regarding specifically the internet tethering function, is there any benefit to using a blackberry phone over say, a samsung or other phone?

The reason I ask is, I live in Korea, and Samsung and LG smart phones are everywhere. I am not seeing so many BB products, although I know they exist here.

I know about the BB remote, calendar functions and the like, but is the internet bridge function better than any other smart phone's "mobile hotspot" mode?

Ideally I would like to get a BB phone and use the bridge, but at this point, I would be happy just to have mobile internet on my playbook, any way I can get it.

Thank you.
    03-04-12 10:17 PM
    Bridge and tether are two different things. Bridge allows the PlayBook to use the blackberry phone's data plan. Only blackberries can bridge. Most carriers require you to have a data plan which allows your non-blackberry phone to use Internet Data via tether. Don't have a clue whether your carrier does.

mobile hotspot would be faster than bridge.
    03-04-12 10:35 PM
    So, "beaming" 3G internet to a playbook through a BB phone is no different than doing so through another phone? That's specifically what I want to know.
    03-04-12 10:50 PM
    Kinda. If your bridged through your BB phone to your Playbook you won't get charged for "beaming" 3g to your Playbook. Since you'll be using bluetooth and not wifi to do that you won't get regular 3g speeds unless your tethered to your Playbook. Like the user above me said "tethering" is something you may or may not get charged for depending on your carrier.

If your looking only to get high speed 3g service from your Playbook I would recommend just getting a LG or Samsung and using the mobile hotspot feature they offer.
    giantinkorea likes this.
    03-05-12 12:35 AM
    So, "beaming" 3G internet to a playbook through a BB phone is no different than doing so through another phone? That's specifically what I want to know.
    It's been said over and over actually. There are THREE type connection that your PlayBook could use:
    1. BB Bridge; as its name stated, it only works via BlackBerry + BB Bridge App.
    Pros: No additional charge if you're using Full BIS package
    Cons: Limited to Bluetooth 2.1 speed data transfer
    2. Bluetooth Tether. On this one, you can use BB or any bluetooth-modem capable phone.
    Pros: Works with other phones.
    Cons: Additional charge (data plan) and also limited transfer rate since using Bluetooth
    3. WiFi. The standard one. U can use any smartphone (BB OS7.1 devices, Android, iPhone, etc), WiFi Router, etc.
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    03-05-12 03:52 AM
    ^ well, I have to say that I am officially impressed with the bb bridge!
    Just switched phones for this, to a Torch 9810. Used the PlayBook setup to connect the bridge effortlessly. Now first time in the office with the phone in jacket pocket on a coat rack and the PlayBook on my desk. Connection via bluetooth is as fast as my home wifi, (phone is on an hspa+ network). This is looking to become a fast favorite feature and great combo developed by BlackBerry!
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    03-05-12 12:14 PM
    To add another point of distinction between Bridge and Tether: Access to the internet through Bridge can only be used by PB apps that have been coded to use it, while I believe that once you're tethered, all apps (including App World, etc.) see it as a live internet connection just like Wifi.
    03-05-12 01:24 PM
    To add another point of distinction between Bridge and Tether: Access to the internet through Bridge can only be used by PB apps that have been coded to use it, while I believe that once you're tethered, all apps (including App World, etc.) see it as a live internet connection just like Wifi.
    Something like that i'm wondering. If i pair my BB9900 to a Playbook, i do get access to use native PB Browser and I can use Facebook app. The funny thing is i can't refresh the PB Messages while connecting through Bridge - it says that it isn't connected etc.
    I can check posts via Facebook, but can't Chat - saying it isn't connected - i can't even check BlackBerry ID through options menu on PB while bridged to BlackBerry.

I thought that while bridging to BlackBerry, Playbook would receive internet data packets from BlackBerry. It works half way as it seems (Only Browser & half of Facebook functions).

Is this buggy on my end or does it work the same way for you guys?
    09-18-12 09:28 AM
    app world dosnt work when I tether, everything else does.
    09-18-12 09:36 AM
    Something like that i'm wondering. If i pair my BB9900 to a Playbook, i do get access to use native PB Browser and I can use Facebook app. The funny thing is i can't refresh the PB Messages while connecting through Bridge - it says that it isn't connected etc.
    I can check posts via Facebook, but can't Chat - saying it isn't connected - i can't even check BlackBerry ID through options menu on PB while bridged to BlackBerry.

I thought that while bridging to BlackBerry, Playbook would receive internet data packets from BlackBerry. It works half way as it seems (Only Browser & half of Facebook functions).

Is this buggy on my end or does it work the same way for you guys?
    It works the same way for me. I can't refresh the native email and I just checked Facebook with the same results as you. Some apps work and some don't via bridge.
    09-18-12 10:28 AM
    It works the same way for me. I can't refresh the native email and I just checked Facebook with the same results as you. Some apps work and some don't via bridge.
    So the solution would be to seperately tether internet over BB9900? - twice the connection. Also i've found out it wont tether for my carrier - altough the wifi share does - how strange? - isn't it the same technology?

I've also found out that it ussualy breaks native e-mail only if any of those e-mail accounts use POP3 instead of IMAP... maybe be onto something like that... still it sucks big time. Hopefully they fix it in the upcoming 2.1 OS
    Last edited by rokiii; 09-18-12 at 04:27 PM.
    09-18-12 04:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD