1. onceyougoblackyounevergoback's Avatar
    Not sure if anyone would be interested, or if I am allowed to talk about torrents and stuff like that here, but......

I was not really happy with watching XviD (.avi) files on my PB, knowing it was capable of so much more,and attempting to convert some of my high definition movies into a usable format turned out to be a long drawn out hassle.

I went in search of a source for high resolution files that, "just work".
    .....and to my surprise I only found one.

There is an uploader on the pirate bay that goes by the name of "Holyroses" that seems to specialize in MP4 (.m4v) flicks.

A simple search for "720p-HR" will bring up a huge list of great movies, that work flawlessly and most even come with (.srt) subtitle files.
    Last edited by onceyougoblackyounevergoback; 01-02-12 at 11:33 PM.
    KermEd, BERaddict, tofo17 and 2 others like this.
    01-02-12 09:53 PM
    I find it worth it to get the high quality .MKV's (of the blue-ray's i own of course), then I can encode them for my tv and for mobile. takes longer but for my mac i have the turbo h264 usb stick so its fast now. its a usb stick with a very special chip inside that does the h264 encoding. best part is the computer doesn't slow down at all when its working.
    01-02-12 11:45 PM
    I find it worth it to get the high quality .MKV's (of the blue-ray's i own of course), then I can encode them for my tv and for mobile. takes longer but for my mac i have the turbo h264 usb stick so its fast now. its a usb stick with a very special chip inside that does the h264 encoding. best part is the computer doesn't slow down at all when its working.
    Sorry if this is a hijack, but can you give some specifics on the files? Like do you keep them at 1080p or scale down to 720p? What type of audio and what is the total file size?

I've never tried converting a Bluray, but I do have a BD drive and AnyDvd HD.
    01-03-12 12:43 AM
  4. onceyougoblackyounevergoback's Avatar
    i have the turbo h264 usb stick so its fast now. its a usb stick with a very special chip inside that does the h264 encoding. best part is the computer doesn't slow down at all when its working.
    Wow, I have heard of people using a CUDA driven nvidia graphics card to encode video, but never a magic usb stick! I'm going to have to check this out. Was it expensive? I'm a Linux kind of guy, but do you think it would it work with an inferior OS like Windows?
    mkskud likes this.
    01-03-12 09:18 PM
    Sorry if this is a hijack, but can you give some specifics on the files? Like do you keep them at 1080p or scale down to 720p? What type of audio and what is the total file size?

I've never tried converting a Bluray, but I do have a BD drive and AnyDvd HD.
    i scale to 720p, for my library, usually around a 5000 bit rate. i do both a surround audio track and a stereo track (for playbook). i find that works well for file size, quality on my TV and its great on the playbook as well. i find higher than 5000 to be a higher drain on the battery.
    01-03-12 09:33 PM
    Wow, I have heard of people using a CUDA driven nvidia graphics card to encode video, but never a magic usb stick! I'm going to have to check this out. Was it expensive? I'm a Linux kind of guy, but do you think it would it work with an inferior OS like Windows?
    not sure if they have a native driver but i bet whoever makes the chip puts out a reference driver that might help. worth a google for sure. ill see if i can find out who makes the chip and what kind it is. then we will know for sure.
    01-03-12 09:35 PM
  7. onceyougoblackyounevergoback's Avatar
    Elgato�s Turbo 264 USB STICK-It seems to be a Mac thing aimed at ipod / ipad users. That is one cool piece of hardware, and it looks like the chip will be standard issue for future Mac motherboards. Claims to increase encoding speeds by 2-4 times while partially relieving CPU strain. Found one for windows, and Linux aimed at digital photographers,but at twice the price! For $250 , ill let others do the dirty work, however; very exciting.
    01-03-12 10:31 PM
    How would these movies look when using the HDMI to connect to a 50 inch 720p plasma tv?
    01-04-12 12:58 PM
    Hey! i dont care about if it will work on my PlayBook or not, i just download the higher res movie i can find, if the format is not supported (Video, audio or whatever else) on the PlayBook i use Avidemux which is free, to convert it to the right format. Very handy tool
    01-04-12 02:43 PM
  10. onceyougoblackyounevergoback's Avatar
    How would these movies look when using the HDMI to connect to a 50 inch 720p plasma tv?
    I played a few on my 46" LED and they look good. Full 720p quality @ 1:1 (small picture in the middle of your screen), but not full High Res quality if you watch full screen, but still nice and better than any Xvid.

Crystal, Clear and Crisp, on the PB, though.
    CanadianThomas likes this.
    01-04-12 03:55 PM
  11. onceyougoblackyounevergoback's Avatar
    Hey! i dont care about if it will work on my PlayBook or not, i just download the higher res movie i can find, if the format is not supported (Video, audio or whatever else) on the PlayBook i use Avidemux which is free, to convert it to the right format. Very handy tool
    You must be running a nice machine, or have a lot of time to waste. unfortunatly my pc drags a$$ whenever I try to convert HD, but my download speeds are good (3600kb/s)

Takes longer to transfer the file to my PB, than to download the file.
    01-04-12 04:00 PM
    You must be running a nice machine, or have a lot of time to waste. unfortunatly my pc drags a$$ whenever I try to convert HD, but my download speeds are good (3600kb/s)

Takes longer to transfer the file to my PB, than to download the file.
    Oh well, my laptop only takes around 20~30 mins to convert a movie (Length 1:40:00 +), its a pretty common machine. Anyways, thats one solution :P but with that DL just download anything thats not AC3 and it'll work
    01-04-12 10:17 PM
    Oh well, my laptop only takes around 20~30 mins to convert a movie (Length 1:40:00 +), its a pretty common machine. Anyways, thats one solution :P but with that DL just download anything thats not AC3 and it'll work
    To convert a normal res movie, or a 720p/1080p movie?

If you have a laptop that can convert 1080p in 20-30 minutes you have by far, the fastest laptop on the planet!
    01-05-12 12:35 AM
    good tip thanks
    01-05-12 04:19 AM
    Use handbrake (free) and let it run a night
    kona1guy likes this.
    01-05-12 05:27 AM
    I can't recall what tool(s) I used about two weeks ago. Converting mkv to mp4 but after a certain point in the movie, the sound was gone. I need something a bit more fullproof.
    01-05-12 09:24 AM
    I can't recall what tool(s) I used about two weeks ago. Converting mkv to mp4 but after a certain point in the movie, the sound was gone. I need something a bit more fullproof.
    What OS and app r u using? Bet I can help, i've been doing audio/video for a loooooooong time.
    01-05-12 10:51 AM
    Vista64. And I'm still looking for the right app!!!! Thanks (heading out for a walk...)
    01-05-12 11:15 AM
    Not sure if anyone would be interested, or if I am allowed to talk about torrents and stuff like that here, but......

I was not really happy with watching XviD (.avi) files on my PB, knowing it was capable of so much more,and attempting to convert some of my high definition movies into a usable format turned out to be a long drawn out hassle.

I went in search of a source for high resolution files that, "just work".
    .....and to my surprise I only found one.

There is an uploader on the pirate bay that goes by the name of "Holyroses" that seems to specialize in MP4 (.m4v) flicks.

A simple search for "720p-HR" will bring up a huge list of great movies, that work flawlessly and most even come with (.srt) subtitle files.
    I will ask another conversion question in regard to the original thread. I've got a dvd player that also can play avi/divx files. It will not play mp4 files. Got ideas for converting mp4 without too much loss of quality to divx/xvid format for playing on the dvd player using a usb thumbdrive.
    01-05-12 05:08 PM
    whenever i download movie from pirate site and try to play,it says unable to find defualt app..help
    01-07-12 06:38 PM
    whenever i download movie from pirate site and try to play,it says unable to find defualt app..help
    You can get all sorts of formats from pirate sites. Make sure you choose DVDRip and/or BRRip in the torrent names, and the main video file is either .avi or .mp4. If you get a .mkv or a .flv, you can convert it using a free desktop converter (search the forum for Handbrake, or the web for video converter). Avoid other formats.
    01-07-12 06:56 PM
    i scale to 720p, for my library, usually around a 5000 bit rate. i do both a surround audio track and a stereo track (for playbook). i find that works well for file size, quality on my TV and its great on the playbook as well. i find higher than 5000 to be a higher drain on the battery.
    What is bitrate and why does it matter? And (possibly related), why is a Handbrake converted movie file so much smaller than the original when I convert AC3 audio?
    01-07-12 07:00 PM
    That Holy Roses guy is awesome! Thanks. And just to make sure, the PSP/Ipod/Zune files work with the playbook, right?
    01-07-12 09:36 PM
    I downloaded from the holyroses guy but I still get the message cant find default app
    01-08-12 10:18 AM
    Thanks man this is awesome!
    01-08-12 10:27 AM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD