I am one of the lucky ones with as well an iPad (1 32GB 3G) as a Playbook and i have to say sorry to Apple, I will sell my iPad.

The Playbook has less apps, has no native e-mail, has less battery-life and has a smaller screen.

But I love the portability! I love the screen, the multitasking and the efforts of 'simple' programmers (with all respect) who wants to make Playbook the best tablet there is. I love the fact that i am able to make Full HD movies of my kids when they are in the garden or playing on the street.

I know that the Playbook is not finished yet and that there are some 'weird' choices being made by RIM but give it a break, how long did it take before the iPad was able to copy-paste or multitask?
    06-28-11 09:05 AM
    I know that the Playbook is not finished yet and that there are some 'weird' choices being made by RIM but give it a break, how long did it take before the iPad was able to copy-paste or multitask?
    Copy and paste was part of iOS 3 (summer 2009), and was available on the iPad at launch. The limited first-party app multitasking was upgraded to limited 3rd-party support in November 2010.

Enjoy the PlayBook. I hope it turns out well.
    06-28-11 09:12 AM
    Wait, did someone give you permission to withdraw from Apple? You actually made a decision on your own?

All kidding aside, you had the experience of one before you tried the new kid on the block. You found that size really does matter, and what works for you does too.

Glad you enjoy the PlayBook, a work in progress that is getting better despite the naysayers.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by BergerKing; 06-28-11 at 09:54 AM.
    06-28-11 09:17 AM
    Good luck to you. I hope you wont regret after a few weeks of real usage.
    btw, you should consider getting a sony or sth like that for much better HD quality.
    I sold my ipad1, and I am selling my PlayBook too.
    Maybe I will substitute it with flyer. smoother than PB with workable GPS and handwriting.
    Last edited by xwestwood; 06-28-11 at 09:21 AM.
    06-28-11 09:17 AM
    I have had my iPad for 1 year now. And I imported (as a Blackberry-fan) my Playbook 8 weeks ago when it was just on the market. I am very happy with the apps for Twitter, Facebook and Epub.
    Personally as a PB-owner we all know that work has to be done but i really hate all the naysayers (thx for that word Bergerking! )
    PostMortem likes this.
    06-28-11 09:26 AM
    Copy and paste was part of iOS 3 (summer 2009), and was available on the iPad at launch. The limited first-party app multitasking was upgraded to limited 3rd-party support in November 2010.

Enjoy the PlayBook. I hope it turns out well.
    The OP was trying to make the point that feature development takes time. Especially when you consider that QNX is a new OS for RIM.

Take iOS as an example and complete a comparison of when Apple started and how long they took to get to where they are today. As you stated iOS 3 introduced copy and paste in 2009. iOS 1 where it all started was released 2007 (source: iOS version history - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia).
    UrbanGlowCam likes this.
    06-28-11 09:39 AM
    I wouldn't be sorry to Apple!
    06-28-11 09:46 AM
    Spit out the Apple juice!!!!

06-28-11 09:49 AM
    The OP was trying to make the point that feature development takes time. Especially when you consider that QNX is a new OS for RIM.
    I got the point of his comment. However, it doesn't change the fact that copy and paste was a launch feature of the iPad, and 3rd party copy/paste came along in November 2010. Now, had he asked how long it took the iPhone to get those features, then his example would've supported the point better, since it took the iPhone 2 years to get copy and paste and 3 years to get 3rd party multitasking.
    06-28-11 10:02 AM
    Now, had he asked how long it took the iPhone to get those features, then his example would've supported the point better, since it took the iPhone 2 years to get copy and paste and 3 years to get 3rd party multitasking.
    Actually since iOS is the shared OS between iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch, his point is valid. If the iPad used a new OS, then I am sure it would be missing copy and paste in its first iteration.

The only difference is Apple started building their new OS against the iPhone/iPod where as RIM is building QNX against the playbook.

Most likely (speculating here, but the future will tell) QNX 2/3 whatever will hit the phone devices and have the features already. Basically the reverse of what Apple did when it added the iPad to the OS.

I see why RIM would go this way as the Playbook could survive without PIM, (popularity and survival are two different things) but a phone without PIM....

Well that probably won't work.
    06-28-11 10:39 AM
    I got the point of his comment. However, it doesn't change the fact that copy and paste was a launch feature of the iPad, and 3rd party copy/paste came along in November 2010. Now, had he asked how long it took the iPhone to get those features, then his example would've supported the point better, since it took the iPhone 2 years to get copy and paste and 3 years to get 3rd party multitasking.
    Are you serious?? 2010 was when apple got copy/paste on 3rd party apps? Holy cow!!! If that was RIM they would have been pooped on... When did RIM get these kind of features on their phones? Probably since time began... It always amazes me how apple gets away with this garbage for so long, and then you'll have silly people saying how great the featureless iOS is... Give me a break! Its Apple that is playing catch up, but they've managed to convince the entire planet otherwise. Unbelievable!!

06-28-11 10:43 AM
    Actually since iOS is the shared OS between iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch, his point is valid. If the iPad used a new OS, then I am sure it would be missing copy and paste in its first iteration.

The only difference is Apple started building their new OS against the iPhone/iPod where as RIM is building QNX against the playbook.

Most likely (speculating here, but the future will tell) QNX 2/3 whatever will hit the phone devices and have the features already. Basically the reverse of what Apple did when it added the iPad to the OS.

I see why RIM would go this way as the Playbook could survive without PIM, (popularity and survival are two different things) but a phone without PIM....

Well that probably won't work.
    Well said.

06-28-11 10:45 AM
    Yay another positive anti-troll thread - keep this at the top with other positive threads and eradicate the trolls, whiners and naysayers. I am in full battle mode.
    06-28-11 11:00 AM
    If only everyone else quit Apple.

There has got to be an app for that.
    06-28-11 11:24 AM
    I enjoyed your first post. It was un-biast and informative, look what happened! Colours showing.

If only everyone else quit Apple.

There has got to be an app for that.
    rickgainsmith likes this.
    06-28-11 11:31 AM
    Is this the first of a growing trend? An iPad user selling for playbook?
    06-28-11 11:48 AM
    Probably, I sold an iPad to buy a PB, then took the PB back and bought another iPad until the PB is finished.

Is this the first of a growing trend? An iPad user selling for playbook?
    06-28-11 11:51 AM
    I never said his "point" wasn't valid; I said his example didn't support the point he was making because the iPad shipped with copy/paste. "If" he had said "iPhone" or "iOS," then his example would have been fine. But he didn't.

Are you serious?? 2010 was when apple got copy/paste on 3rd party apps? Holy cow!!! If that was RIM they would have been pooped on... When did RIM get these kind of features on their phones? Probably since time began
    No, 2010 was when they added 3rd party multitasking; 2009 brought copy/paste. I don't know from where you got "copy/paste on 3rd party apps." And yes, Apple got "pooped" on for that feature until it was added, kind of like RIM is now, except Apple never said "it's coming soon" or anything similar; they just came out and said "this is iOS 3.0, and here are the features."

As for the RIM comparison, since App World didn't exist until 2009 (10 years after the first BlackBerry device and nearly a year after the App Store launched), I don't see how 3rd party app multitasking did the bulk of BB users any good in 2008 or sooner.
    06-28-11 12:01 PM
    I enjoyed your first post. It was un-biast and informative, look what happened! Colours showing.
    I dislike and have reason to hate Apple for many reasons. If it wasn't apparent in a previous post its because it was not relevant.

What exactly is unfinished about the playbook? Some of the software?

That's because of Apple and its 60,000+ bin of poopware. How can so many people envy that? I'd rather have 1 quality app than 10 free pieces of stank.

I'd rather have full flash than a handful of s&*t.

Plus my tablet is easily configurable with my PC without having to download itunes.
    ericlc2 likes this.
    06-28-11 12:23 PM
    I never said his "point" wasn't valid; I said his example didn't support the point he was making because the iPad shipped with copy/paste. "If" he had said "iPhone" or "iOS," then his example would have been fine. But he didn't.
    Fair enough, you never said that. To be honest I wasn't quoting you word for word. I apologize, let me rephrase

Your comment was:

.. his example would've supported the point better..
    However, I am simply stating that his example does completely support the point he was making. We are comparing functionality in a product operating system.

Regardless of Playbook vs iPad hardware, the features/functionality of each product is performed by the OS, or in this case iOS vs QNX.

In that case, the OP's comparison completely supports the point he's making.

QNX is new to RIM, and having is listed as version 1.* supports that conclusion. iOS is not, irregardless if it loaded on an iPhone or iPad, its still iOS 4.*.

But I share in the OP statement and to quote:

I know that the Playbook is not finished yet and that there are some 'weird' choices being made by RIM but give it a break
    Anyways to the OP, glad to hear your happy!
    06-28-11 12:35 PM
    *Yawn*

How many Playbooks will I have to buy and how much RIM stock will I have to buy to make the "ipad comparators" go away?

Playbook forum - playbook interest group - no interest in ipad. Zero. Go away.
    menaknow likes this.
    06-28-11 12:40 PM
    Well indeed my point had to be about Ios and iPhone instead of iPad. Just want to tell you that i have had several iPhones and that a copy-paste functionality came with a bang! People were amazed and wanted to upgrade to a new firmware because they could not do a (native y copy-paste.
    RIM has to go a long way but give them a break. Not perfect not nearly perfect but I dislike all the negative threads on this forum. I do not understand why there is no one from RIM answering any questions here btw?

06-28-11 12:42 PM
    The thread title sort of invited it. As long as the PBBoys keep creating them......

*Yawn*

How many Playbooks will I have to buy and how much RIM stock will I have to buy to make the "ipad comparators" go away?

Playbook forum - playbook interest group - no interest in ipad. Zero. Go away.
    06-28-11 12:43 PM

No, 2010 was when they added 3rd party multitasking; 2009 brought copy/paste. I don't know from where you got "copy/paste on 3rd party apps." And yes, Apple got "pooped" on for that feature until it was added, kind of like RIM is now, except Apple never said "it's coming soon" or anything similar; they just came out and said "this is iOS 3.0, and here are the features."

As for the RIM comparison, since App World didn't exist until 2009 (10 years after the first BlackBerry device and nearly a year after the App Store launched), I don't see how 3rd party app multitasking did the bulk of BB users any good in 2008 or sooner.
    if you read your post i was replying to, you clearly stated "and 3rd party copy/paste came along in November 2010".... sorry for taking you at your word -

06-28-11 12:43 PM
    if you read your post i was replying to, you clearly stated "and 3rd party copy/paste came along in November 2010".... sorry for taking you at your word -

You're right; I stand corrected.
    06-28-11 12:48 PM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD