So my PB has been going along fine for awhile. It's been sitting at a notification for several weeks that I need to clear up some space to get the update. I'd been ignoring it since I wasn't trying to update. Well, Shadowgun wasn't launching and a few other apps went weird so I told it to reboot. Now it's come back from at least 2 reboots with the quick bar shortcuts gone (including BB world) and my whole second page of apps (which was mostly my games, weather and several "keep the BB on clocks") has gone missing. I can drag a shortcut over there and the second page gets remade but everything that was there is missing. Has anybody seen this or know how I can reover from it?
    11-11-13 02:45 AM
    Maybe you did run out of storage memory? Maybe you can use the Desktop Manager to delete something? I've never connected my PB to the Desktop Manager, but I did notice that for BBOS 7, I could delete apps on the phone with it. It's something to try before having to wipe to restore...

Good luck!
    11-11-13 05:01 AM
    It's mostly music that is taking it up, however there was a few big games I think I've added since the last time I used it. Sadly, the BB world was one of the shortcuts I've now lost. I don't think I could uninstall any big games now if I can't get to that. I know I can delete all the music and get some space back.
    11-11-13 05:27 PM
    I think the easiest would be to free up memory by deleting the music or saving it to the cloud. Then run the update. The update should return the system icons. Or just try another restart first. Maybe they will return. Otherwise, its a reload or worse security wipe, I'm afraid. I think most people say to keep at least 4-5 gb free.
    11-11-13 06:12 PM
    Well damn. I deleted all the music and a few others to free up space. I ran the update and I'm still missing page 2, all the apps on the quick start bar and the BB World. Any suggestions?
    11-16-13 07:40 PM
    I you have no apps on the dock (Quick Start Bar), then you've found the infamous quirk in the OS which occurs when you remove all apps from the dock. The cure is to.drag all of your icons up to the dock so they all disappear, then reboot. After rebooting, your icons should come back.
    Timothy Kuhnel likes this.
    11-16-13 08:03 PM
    Well damn. I deleted all the music and a few others to free up space. I ran the update and I'm still missing page 2, all the apps on the quick start bar and the BB World. Any suggestions?
    it has nothing to do with space/freeing up space.

I you have no apps on the dock (Quick Start Bar), then you've found the infamous quirk in the OS which occurs when you remove all apps from the dock. The cure is to.drag all of your icons up to the dock so they all disappear, then reboot. After rebooting, your icons should come back.
    this is the right solution. (it happened two or three times where I had to do this, I think it's the latest update or the fact I had the leak and not the official)
    11-16-13 08:55 PM
    The music was deleted/space recovered because of the fact that the update was saying I didn't have enough space to run. I was asked in the thread to make the space and run the update because it was a believed fix.

That being said, removing all the icons by dragging them up to the quick bar and a reboot did fix it. Thank you! I have to reorganize the two pages but at least it's not a catastrophic failure anymore.
    11-16-13 10:19 PM
    Question about sideloading android apps. Is it still the case that the best way to do this is to convert the apk to a bar using the PC utilities and then installing the bar from there? I happened to catch somebody selling a PB on Ebay and it mentioned that it was rooted and getting apps via the google play store. Is anything like that possible on the newest PB OS?
    11-18-13 11:01 AM
    I happened to catch somebody selling a PB on Ebay and it mentioned that it was rooted and getting apps via the google play store. Is anything like that possible on the newest PB OS?
    No.
    11-18-13 11:09 AM
    Question about sideloading android apps. Is it still the case that the best way to do this is to convert the apk to a bar using the PC utilities and then installing the bar from there?
    No. Get your bar files from goodereader.com and install using either DDPB or the Chrome PB extension with your PC. See the android app sideloading forum for more info. You can also convert apk files using the online converter, but most apps probably won't work.
    11-18-13 11:12 AM
    Thanks Paco. I double checked and it was a much older OS on that PB (2.0.0.4869). I'll stick with the sideloader method. The only issue I ever ran into was the occasional case where it wasn't signed so I got a set of keys to sign the bar as it's being converted. I'm just happy my icons are back and so is my quick bar. Still enjoy the device highly despite the bit of heat you get on the logo area when doing some gaming.
    11-18-13 11:30 AM