Hi guys,

I'm about to order a PB through the internet and i have some Qs which I cant answer by just going to the nearest bestbuy and try it myself cause I live outside the US.
    I've Followed most of the threads but still have some open Qs.

1- Tethering has to enabled by the Carrier right? If I can connect from my laptop through my BB using Desktop Manager does this mean its enabled?

2-Blackberry bridge enables internet use through the BB phone? Carrier is not involved in this? "As if im using my BB but on a bigger screen right? "

3- What's the exact date of Android capability..I know its coming should be like summer ?

4-The app world installed on PB works with wifi or through network received from BB bridge?

5- Do you think the 4G version will be branded like the iPad?

Thanks alot
    05-05-11 07:57 PM
    1. Yes. No. Not necessarily.

2. Not exactly. Specific BlackBerry functions are accessible via the BlackBerry Bridge. Currently, that means email, contacts, Bridge Browser (but not the PlayBook browser), calendar, memo pad, tasks) Bridge files, and BBM (with the current updates. The Bridge Browser relies on the BlackBerry Data Plan first of all (so that involves the carrier) and currently is it very slow and somewhat buggy.

3. No one knows. The date hasn't bee released publicly.

4. No. WiFi only currently.

5. Yes. This has already been announced. But no release date.
    05-05-11 08:54 PM
    Thanks Motorcycle Mama...

Sorry another Q about tethering.Well I just called the carrier and they told me they support sending internet data through Bluetooth from any kind of phone on any windows PC but when I mentioned the word "tethering" he said huh?

does this mean they support the service
    05-06-11 06:12 AM
    Thanks Motorcycle Mama...

Sorry another Q about tethering.Well I just called the carrier and they told me they support sending internet data through Bluetooth from any kind of phone on any windows PC but when I mentioned the word "tethering" he said huh?

does this mean they support the service
    Yes.Dont worry you are good to go.
    Ask them you want to use your phone as a modem.
    05-06-11 06:54 AM
    There are two types of thethering. one is Tehering through the cable to a pc for internet. That is the type that you pay for. Connecting the device to the playbook via bluetooth for the email capabilities and browsing is not charged for. to clarify as i thought more about this. some not all carriers charge for it. if you dont have tethering available or dont want to pay for it then you can use the bridge browser.
    Last edited by mcetlinski; 05-06-11 at 07:41 AM. Reason: calrification
    05-06-11 07:25 AM
    There are two types of thethering. one is Tehering through the cable to a pc for internet. That is the type that you pay for. Connecting the device to the playbook via bluetooth for the email capabilities and browsing is not charged for.
    Not sure I agree with this. Tethering is the use of the phone as a modem. It doesn't require connecting a cable to the PC. Some carriers charge for this.

Bridging is connecting the BB to the PB for access to the PIM apps on the phone - email, calendar, to-dos, memos, contacts - plus the phone's browser and BBM.
    05-06-11 09:07 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD