From the Beta Zone Forums;

One of the Blackberry Project Managers, Codename: John, posted in the OS Beta Testing thread today regarding Tuesday's upcoming announcements and provides some insight into the process by which OS 2.0 was tested.

The following was a question asked by the user greggov, and you can find John's response below.

@John - How come there isn't a beta program for the PlayBook? Apple seems to do well with their developer program and iOS betas, and they can get builds out every few weeks. I really think RIM would benefit from this, and I hope they consider doing something like this in the future. No matter how much internal testing software goes through, once it gets out to the public, many more bugs are found. I know the other programs are seeing the benefits of being run through the Beta Zone. I know this isn't your call, but hopefully this is being brought up.
    John, Blackberry Project Manager, responds:

RE: OS beta testing
    Oct 12, 2011 03:37pm
    Howdy folks!

Sorry, I don't have anything for you to test. The next milestone will be the news out of Dev Con - all I can say is that the presentations and demonstrations will be...motivating...for BlackBerry enthusiasts

On Tuesday when I have a list of announcements to share, I can post it here and we can discuss your thoughts.

@greggov: we have been providing beta samples to a very restricted group to help with their development -
    we'll probably see this grow out over time. It is a mentality change that we're working through. If you've been reading the news about BB lately, you've seen that we've had some changes at the upper level of our developer relations team...this will probably bring some change (we'll have to wait and see!)

John
    Take from this what you will.
    10-12-11 03:03 PM
    Can you post the news that he posts on tuesday?

(Not now obviously because he didnt post it yet.)
    nievz likes this.
    10-12-11 03:13 PM
    I definitely will good sir!

I think an important take-away from the post by John is that at least some good news will be announced on Tuesday. Or that is what I inferred from his comment. I could be wrong.
    10-12-11 03:16 PM
    Yep... I'm really looking forward to next week. I really hope for something exciting (and I don't mean a kick in the pants).
    10-12-11 04:06 PM
    Can you post the news that he posts on tuesday?

(Not now obviously because he didnt post it yet.)
    I think posting it now will be just as meaningful as posting it later and then later again. (sorry, the cynicism gene got switched on this morning). (and this is not directed at the op but the reliability of rim)
    10-12-11 04:09 PM
    presentations and demonstrations?

I guess we can give up on the thought of an OS release...

We've had presentations and demonstrations for the past 12 months! Deliver RIM!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    howarmat and lotuslanderz like this.
    10-12-11 04:12 PM
    It's a love/hate relationship really. I feel like they can't let everyone down at DevCon, because that would be self-harming behaviour. But any more postponements for whatever reason and I say we should OCCUPY WATERLOO.
    mithrazor likes this.
    10-12-11 04:16 PM
    Wow the way everyone is reacting about the outage I say they have to deliver or the fat lady might be singing.
    10-12-11 05:03 PM
    all I can say is that the presentations and demonstrations will be...motivating...for BlackBerry enthusiasts
    At this point, you want more than BlackBerry enthusiasts to be motivated. You need to impress the tech world.
    10-12-11 05:12 PM
    Just a reminder: in the earnings call, they did say demo 2.0 at DevCon and "released thereafter". Not released at DevCon. Can't let us down by failing to release at DevCon unless we raise our own expectations based on rumours and speculation.

2.0 will not be released at DevCon, and will probably not appear before November. Best to keep repeating that mantra....
    BSFA2008 likes this.
    10-12-11 05:16 PM
    Just a reminder: in the earnings call, they did say demo 2.0 at DevCon and "released thereafter". Not released at DevCon. Can't let us down by failing to release at DevCon unless we raise our own expectations based on rumours and speculation.

2.0 will not be released at DevCon, and will probably not appear before November. Best to keep repeating that mantra....
    Completely agree and I do remember reading hearing the same - I would be more than happy seeing/hearing about features from a keynote. I'm hoping the presentations and demonstrations will at least live up to the expectations that everyone has (to a certain degree).
    Last edited by Jackmoe; 10-12-11 at 06:11 PM. Reason: Punctuation
    10-12-11 06:08 PM
    This realy sounds like no release at Devcon.

It also sounds like there might be some additional exended amount of time until release as he says that "we'll probably see this [beta tester group] grow out over time."

I guess I'm not surprised.
    10-12-11 06:25 PM
    Completely agree and I do remember reading hearing the same - I would be more than happy seeing/hearing about features from a keynote. I'm hoping the presentations and demonstrations will at least live up to the expectations that everyone has (to a certain degree).
    I hope these presentations and demonstrations are done on a live playbook and not just video of a playbook!
    lotuslanderz likes this.
    10-12-11 06:32 PM
    I hope these presentations and demonstrations are done on a live playbook and not just video of a playbook!
    But THAT would be much harder for them to photoshop!
    10-13-11 01:03 AM

RIM also said that the Playbook facebook app would be released "later in the week" during the May Blackberry world conference --- but they released it later that day.
    bestsprayer likes this.
    10-13-11 01:07 AM
    After I log in to the Beta Zone, the home page now reads:

If you're a BlackBerry� PlayBook™ user and are interested in providing feedback on your tablet, be sure to let us know by keeping your BlackBerry Beta Zone profile up to date. You never know what exciting opportunities might come up - we wouldn't want you to miss out!
    I read this to mean that MAYBE Beta Zone members will get a chance to beta test the new OS. What do you think?
    10-13-11 06:29 AM
  17. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    free pass to DEVCON next week? ....
    10-13-11 06:31 AM
    John has been dropping hints for a couple of week now, I mentioned him in another thread here somewhere. The betazone today asked for users to update their profiles, including their PB model and PIN number, so a beta is probably on the way.
    10-13-11 06:44 AM
    free pass to DEVCON next week? ....
    Sure. Send me one.
    10-13-11 07:18 AM
    RIM also said that the Playbook facebook app would be released "later in the week" during the May Blackberry world conference --- but they released it later that day.
    That would be great, of course, but I'm merely responding to those suggesting they said it would be released at DevCon, or shortly thereafter. They said neither. If they manage it before November, I'll be pleasantly, but very, surprised.
    10-13-11 08:55 AM
    We cannot really make much of this statement. Maybe they are going the Apple way. Demonstration and Presentation first maybe a release there after. Although iOS 5 was developed long back there were updates on what it could achieve way before. Then finally it is going to be released after the product launch.
    In case of RIM they do need to give out timeline to keep people hooked. On OS 2 we know its coming but when? What would be new features we are just speculating?
    I think its about time RIM understands that consumers expect much of them and with the recent outage taking the publicity I think they have to strike back now to shut off the critics!
    10-13-11 09:04 AM
    On OS 2 we know its coming but when? What would be new features we are just speculating?
    We're expecting to learn most or all of the new features on Tuesday, in the main conference session at DevCon where we expect to see a demonstration, and possibly learn more about a target date for release.

Not so likely, perhaps, on that last item, but all signs point to the other info being correct.
    10-13-11 09:14 AM
    RIM: Over promise, under deliver.
    10-13-11 10:27 AM
    John has been dropping hints for a couple of week now, I mentioned him in another thread here somewhere. The betazone today asked for users to update their profiles, including their PB model and PIN number, so a beta is probably on the way.
    I don't see any place to enter that information in my profile. Nevermind I found it under technology. Its worth a try.

Last edited by Chaddface; 10-13-11 at 11:24 AM.
    10-13-11 11:18 AM
    I don't see any place to enter that information in my profile.

It's under the "technology" tab. It asks if you own a PlayBook, which model, and the PIN

Glad to see my post brought some more discussion on this. It seems RIM is still trying to get over their mentality that public/private betas are bad and to keep everything under wraps. The Beta Zone was a step in the right direction and it's working. They're getting some good feedback in BZ. Hopefully with the new Dev leadership, they can change things and start offering more in Beta Zone, expanding the programs, and even get some PlayBook stuff in there.

Regarding OS2...who knows. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a release at DevCon, but I'm certainly not going to be surprised if all we get is a demo and "coming soon". I hope we'll have something by the end of October. Unless they can pull off some crazy stuff no one saw coming, it may be too little, too late if it's beyond October.
    10-13-11 11:35 AM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD