The new tablet will be called Workbook or Workhorse lol because the ***** that named it Playbook and the idiots who rubber stamped it forgot BUSINESS customers want a device for work not play... And frankly that is f'ed up....consumers require 10", business users require 7" for portability and ease of use holding and using.

My gas engineer has a 7" tablet provided by the company for the very reason: hold and type makes work productivity and time management WORK! Thor reallyknows nothing about his buyers, nor cares till Microsoft hand him a position and a big fat cheque every month the likes RIM could not.

A 7" tablet like Surface was well within RIM reach, it spent enough and.....
    blueberrymerry likes this.
    04-14-13 11:24 AM
    I think you have misunderstood the derivation of the name. It's not play as in a games tablet, but as in a tactical handbook/ log.

Definitely business oriented.
    04-14-13 02:10 PM
    I think you have misunderstood the derivation of the name. It's not play as in a games tablet, but as in a tactical handbook/ log.
    Like jokes, though - it doesn't work if you have to explain it.
    Definitely business oriented.
    I'd agree - quite a significant aspect to the PlayBook that was either squandered or not exploited.
    04-14-13 02:24 PM
    BlackBerry could take another swing at a tablet

I read this article on April 2. About half way through it, they state that a spokesperson from BlackBerry says that BB10 for Playbook will be released before the end of the year. That's probably the closest to a release date that we are going to get.
    04-14-13 03:42 PM
    The new tablet will be called Workbook or Workhorse lol because the ***** that named it Playbook and the idiots who rubber stamped it forgot BUSINESS customers want a device for work not play... And frankly that is f'ed up....consumers require 10", business users require 7" for portability and ease of use holding and using.
    I think "Playbook" is a North American thing that has to do with American football Sad that it shows RIM's bias and close-mindedness at the rest of the world. RIM makes global devices but still thinks like a provincial player.

A 7" tablet running BB10 with full USB functionality, expandable storage and active digitizer would have cornered the enterprise tablet market. You're right, RIM really doesn't know its target market, the Playbook sits as a middling compromise between enterprise and consumer needs when it could have been much more focused.
    FF22 and Bakamushi like this.
    04-14-13 09:48 PM
    Well I bought my Playbook just to play with. It was cheaper than the Kindle Fire and has more space so made a great comic and book reader. The fact it plays videos and has internet access and a few games on it is just a bonus.
    04-14-13 10:29 PM
    thank you for the update. you asked good questions

Sent from an ATM Machine
    04-15-13 12:47 AM
    Well I bought my Playbook just to play with. It was cheaper than the Kindle Fire and has more space so made a great comic and book reader. The fact it plays videos and has internet access and a few games on it is just a bonus.
    Ditto...
    04-15-13 04:37 AM
    Damn thing is pretty useful for making multi media presentations too.

I use it all the time for that. Compact, easy to hook up and navigation is a piece of cake.
    04-15-13 06:09 AM
    I couldn't buy (still can't) a Kindle fire in Canada, so PlayBook was an obvious choice ;-)

Posted Via CB10 on my Zed10
    04-15-13 06:14 AM
    PlayBook : informal, any plan or set of strategies,as for outlining a campaign in business or politics.
    04-16-13 02:03 PM
    I bought MY playbook as an adjunct to my other devices. I'd been looking for a small tablet for a while, and when the 64GB version was suddenly available in the UK for �130, I leapt in. It gets taken to meetings to write notes (shared thru' evernote) and fits in a rucksack side pocket so is easy to take on a weekend away. It's better than my smartphone for a lot of tasks (basically anything involving keyboard use), but doesn't completely replace it as it's too big to carry with me all the time (just like any small tablet really).

Would be nice to have a decent satnav app (which I believe MAY come with BB10) but otherwise I'm satisfied.
    04-30-13 02:18 AM
    I bought MY playbook as an adjunct to my other devices. I'd been looking for a small tablet for a while, and when the 64GB version was suddenly available in the UK for �130, I leapt in. It gets taken to meetings to write notes (shared thru' evernote) and fits in a rucksack side pocket so is easy to take on a weekend away. It's better than my smartphone for a lot of tasks (basically anything involving keyboard use), but doesn't completely replace it as it's too big to carry with me all the time (just like any small tablet really).

Would be nice to have a decent satnav app (which I believe MAY come with BB10) but otherwise I'm satisfied.
    I use nogago maps good satnav to use with no data connection
    04-30-13 07:33 PM
    I'm a little confused.
    There is a workshop at Blackberry live for Android devs which advertises that they can write once and deploy to tablet, z10 and Q10. (Lab 201, see below).

So if the z10 and q10 are getting jellybean soon, does that mean the playbook has to get it soon also for the one deployment to work?

if playbook is getting jellybean soon, does that mean it has to get os10 soon?

JAM10 - Lab: Android 201: Three Devices, One App! Developing for Tablet, All Touch and Physical Keyboard form factors
    Want to deploy your Android™ app to multiple BlackBerry� devices? This session will dive deep into using standard Android resource allocations to deploy your Android app across Tablet, All Touch and Physical Keyboard form factors. Optimize your app for multiple form factors and watch your downloads grow!. View Less
    2 Hours Session
    James Dreher
    Matthew Whiteman
    05-04-13 10:15 AM
    I don't know about soon, but yes playbook will get bb10. it will be the same os as the phones just made for the playbook. landscape etc

Sent from an ATM Machine
    05-04-13 10:31 AM
    I'm a little confused.
    There is a workshop at Blackberry live for Android devs which advertises that they can write once and deploy to tablet, z10 and Q10. (Lab 201, see below).

So if the z10 and q10 are getting jellybean soon, does that mean the playbook has to get it soon also for the one deployment to work?

if playbook is getting jellybean soon, does that mean it has to get os10 soon?

JAM10 - Lab: Android 201: Three Devices, One App! Developing for Tablet, All Touch and Physical Keyboard form factors
    Want to deploy your Android™ app to multiple BlackBerry� devices? This session will dive deep into using standard Android resource allocations to deploy your Android app across Tablet, All Touch and Physical Keyboard form factors. Optimize your app for multiple form factors and watch your downloads grow!. View Less
    2 Hours Session
    James Dreher
    Matthew Whiteman
    Ops - that division did not get the Memo that tablets will be dead in five years and, therefore, did not edit their meeting info!
    05-04-13 11:00 AM
    I may be missing the point here, but surelyit would be better for BBRY to make tools that enable android devs to easily convert their apps to native OS10 code than trying to emulate android and all the overheads that incurs.

Just seems half assed to me.
    05-04-13 12:33 PM
    Well here is an app PR release dated April 17 (see below) that seems to include Blackberry Playbook among the OS10 devices you can use with the app. So someone must be testing BB10 on the Playbook and letting outside app devs know their app can be tested.

Given also the workshop at BB Live for android devices, I am wondering if we will see Playbook updated in June, concurrent or shortly after Q10 release in the US.

Two-Way Outlook Sync with BlackBerry Z10 for $24.99 | Business Wire
    April 17, 2013 06:00 AM Eastern Daylight Time

PORTLAND, Ore.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The first low-cost tool for secure two-way USB synchronization of Microsoft� Outlook� and BlackBerry� Z10, Q10, PlayBook, and other BB10 OS devices is being offered by BB10OutlookSync.com. Their PC Outlook Sync app, and accompanying BB10Sync PC software, synchronizes Standalone and Exchange Outlook via USB to B10 Contacts, Calendar, and Remember (Tasks and Notes).
    05-05-13 08:53 AM
    Well here is an app PR release dated April 17 (see below) that seems to include Blackberry Playbook among the OS10 devices you can use with the app. So someone must be testing BB10 on the Playbook and letting outside app devs know their app can be tested.

Given also the workshop at BB Live for android devices, I am wondering if we will see Playbook updated in June, concurrent or shortly after Q10 release in the US.

Two-Way Outlook Sync with BlackBerry Z10 for $24.99 | Business Wire
    April 17, 2013 06:00 AM Eastern Daylight Time

PORTLAND, Ore.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The first low-cost tool for secure two-way USB synchronization of Microsoft� Outlook� and BlackBerry� Z10, Q10, PlayBook, and other BB10 OS devices is being offered by BB10OutlookSync.com. Their PC Outlook Sync app, and accompanying BB10Sync PC software, synchronizes Standalone and Exchange Outlook via USB to B10 Contacts, Calendar, and Remember (Tasks and Notes).
    I am not sure that $25 (I rounded up a penny) would be considered LOW-cost. That aside, following their links does not say pb-bb10 but merely PB. So many their software works on the current device?

While they offer a money-back guarantee, I'm not willing to spring for it at the moment. I wonder if there's any discussion of the app here on Crackberry?

Maybe we could get CB to buy/try and review it.
    05-05-13 10:00 AM
    From their website, they want to deliver to BB10 native apps, not to BB10 and Playbook 2.x (see below)
    Also I think that delivering to more than one OS would be expensive to develop as you are transferring data and you have to map it to the right fields in the OS; I'm not sure there is enough Playbook 2.x users to make that type of development worthwhile.

Sync BlackBerry with Outlook
    We want to deliver two-way USB synchronization of Outlook contacts, calendars, tasks, and notes to BB10 native apps.
    05-05-13 10:19 AM
    From their website, they want to deliver to BB10 native apps, not to BB10 and Playbook 2.x (see below)
    Also I think that delivering to more than one OS would be expensive to develop as you are transferring data and you have to map it to the right fields in the OS; I'm not sure there is enough Playbook 2.x users to make that type of development worthwhile.

Sync BlackBerry with Outlook
    We want to deliver two-way USB synchronization of Outlook contacts, calendars, tasks, and notes to BB10 native apps.
    Yup. They have a trial. I downloaded the bar file. Will not install on the PB, says something about bb10 needed (not the exact words).
    bluenote likes this.
    05-05-13 10:29 AM
    I'd really like to see BB10 on my Playbook because as it stands my Playbook is pretty much dead to me. There just isn't the app support. Tired of waiting (as I'm sure many of you have) I migrated over to a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 and was absolutely flabbergasted on all the incredible things my new Samsung does compared to my app-less old Playbook. Its all about app is an understatement. The only thing which is keeping my Playbook off the eBay auction block is its abillity to do HDMI to my HDTV. So its still usefull as a game machine, web browser and a HD video player. But seriously Playbook without Skype, Magic Jack, uTorrent and the million other android apps makes Playbook a usless dinosaur. The app support on BB10 is not that hot compared to Android but if it gets to Playbook, then It might be something worth hanging on to. If there's no BB10 on my Playbook by the end of 2013 then that will assure it a place on the eBay auction block, at which point I'd never buy another Blackberry product again. Its up to you Heins. You want to save your share in the lucritive tablet market when you have no decent tablets? Get BB10 to us...yesterday.
    05-05-13 04:18 PM
    It is half assed, but thats Blackberry for you. What Heins should have done is made the z10 an android device which would have assured Blackberrys survival. Even with BB10 in their court, the app selection on this new OS is not there. I now use a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 and its all to clear how insignificant the app support is on Blackberry. BB10 is an improvement over OS 2 on the Playbook so I will give Blackberry till the end of 2013 to get us BB10. If not, then my Playbook will be auctioned off on eBay to the first person who gives me the buy it now price. Blackberry just isnt worth the effort with hot stuff lilke Android around.And the stupid thing is Blackberry did it to themselves by not going full Android.
    05-05-13 04:27 PM
    Used bb vid chat on a recent trip and faceflow and ephone beforehand to help set it up
    Recorded front camera video sessions outside and audio inside while on trip
    Threw YouTube up on hotel room tv to share with others via hdmi cord (hotel tv blech)
    Took notes ok via bluetooth keyboard
    Transported 20 gb video to friend's house threw it on her imac quickly put an audiof recording onto imac and then her iphone for her morning run.

Everything was great except blackberry travel via Web browser slow and inconsistent; still I looked up car rental and was able to pricematch to a better agency.
    05-05-13 04:32 PM
    I'm not totally sure i can believe that woman's words. For one, they always say the same thing, "It will be released for sure" But we have been waiting since December. BlackBerry isn't good with promises and they should be focusing on putting the Playbook back in the market with a simple update. I mean more people will start buying playbooks and BlackBerry could be making even more money than they do now. They need to think!
    blueberrymerry likes this.
    05-05-13 09:48 PM
52 123