I am hoping os 2.0 comes out in February but also have my feet firmly grounded in reality and understand that things happen so this update may be further delayed. Without 2.0, I have not been totally satisfied with the email experience on the Playbook. I know there is bridge but I cannot fully manage my email using bridge. I am using the beta version of 2.0 and tried the android email app but ran into the same limitations as bridge. With both of these email apps, I cannot access all my folders or sort emails to different folders. These things were causing me some frustration so I did some research and have come up with a solution that works perfectly. Now, while I am excited about 2.0, I am no longer waiting impatiently for it to be able to handle the biggest frustration I had with my Playbook.

What I did was download the aVNC app from appworld. It took a couple of days to figure out how to set it up perfectly (I have very little network experience) but now, from anywhere in the world, I can access an old laptop that I keep on in the basement. On that laptop I installed the Mozilla Thunderbird email program and through aVNC, I can fully manage my email accounts.

It takes only a few minutes to get set up to work on the same network as the computer. For me the issue was with accessing the computer from outside my home network. With a little bit of help and some time to ponder, it is now set up fully and I have outlook like control of my email on my Playbook.

If anyone is wanting to get more control of your email on your Playbook, this is a great way to do it today without having to wait until os 2.0 comes out.
    Mikey_T and Alan_F like this.
    12-29-11 12:32 PM
    Interesting but I prefer Android apps until native apps arrive.
    12-29-11 01:24 PM
    I am hoping os 2.0 comes out in February but also have my feet firmly grounded in reality and understand that things happen so this update may be further delayed. Without 2.0, I have not been totally satisfied with the email experience on the Playbook. I know there is bridge but I cannot fully manage my email using bridge. I am using the beta version of 2.0 and tried the android email app but ran into the same limitations as bridge. With both of these email apps, I cannot access all my folders or sort emails to different folders. These things were causing me some frustration so I did some research and have come up with a solution that works perfectly. Now, while I am excited about 2.0, I am no longer waiting impatiently for it to be able to handle the biggest frustration I had with my Playbook.

What I did was download the aVNC app from appworld. It took a couple of days to figure out how to set it up perfectly (I have very little network experience) but now, from anywhere in the world, I can access an old laptop that I keep on in the basement. On that laptop I installed the Mozilla Thunderbird email program and through aVNC, I can fully manage my email accounts.

It takes only a few minutes to get set up to work on the same network as the computer. For me the issue was with accessing the computer from outside my home network. With a little bit of help and some time to ponder, it is now set up fully and I have outlook like control of my email on my Playbook.

If anyone is wanting to get more control of your email on your Playbook, this is a great way to do it today without having to wait until os 2.0 comes out.
    The web app for Teamviewer works on the PB, is free and is dead simple to setup as an alternative.
    12-29-11 01:27 PM
    Interesting but I prefer Android apps until native apps arrive.
    i found I couldnt access my folders to file emails through the Android email app. As well, I didnt have access to all my contacts and groups, which are on gmail. Have you found a way to access all of those features using the Android app?
    12-29-11 01:50 PM
    The web app for Teamviewer works on the PB, is free and is dead simple to setup as an alternative.
    I didnt try that one but I did try the RDM+ app through appworld. It worked okay and the setup wascalog easier but I found there to be quite a bit of lag time with that method.

Setting up aVNC was more challenging but I have found that using that app is a much more responsive experience.

If teamviewer works then thats good to get the word out as well.

Thanks
    12-29-11 01:59 PM
    i found I couldnt access my folders to file emails through the Android email app. As well, I didnt have access to all my contacts and groups, which are on gmail. Have you found a way to access all of those features using the Android app?
    I use Kaiten. I don't know about groups, but contacts do appear, and I can attach any file anywhere on my PB using ghost commander.

Actually, I wonder if native email app would be as flexible as Kaiten in this regard. Most native apps can't see files in /sdcard/
    12-29-11 02:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD