I just got my 64 gb playbook I set up wifi but it wont play until the software updat is complete,iy starts to put a few mb of 364 mb but wont complete it ,theres aflashing white banner that says unable to connet,to network please check settings??
    01-12-12 08:34 PM
    Configure your router / access point to only use 802.11B/G which should keep your tablet connected during the software update process. You might want to disable WEP or WPA/WPA2 as well if necessary. The 802.11N can be re-enabled along with WEP/WPA/WPA2 afterward. Report back on your success or failure.
    01-12-12 08:48 PM
    I dont knmow how to do any of what youve described
    01-12-12 08:55 PM
    I have on idea how to do thiis???
    01-12-12 09:25 PM
    Well. the issue is the PlayBook not liking your wireless routers setup. So. If your not sure how to change your router, do you have a friends place you could try it at? After the update is done, the PlayBook won't be so picky about your router and I imagine it will be just fine.

Or, download and install the blackberry desktop software on your computer, plug in your playbook and do the update that way.
    01-12-12 09:33 PM
    Try rebooting your router by unpluging it for about a minute. If you still can't get the setup complete you might want to try the suggestions posted above about changing settings in the router. You might have to try the support site for the manufacturer of the router to get directions for this.
    01-12-12 09:38 PM
    I dont knmow how to do any of what youve described
    Uh oh...

You'll want to consult the manual for your Router and perhaps have someone more tech savvy with you when you do this.

802.11 is a wi-fi standard and broken down into A (oldest), B, G, and N (newest). New routers support N, but can also support A/B/G. It's been speculated that the Playbook doesn't like N routers. (I can't confirm this as my router is only A/B/G.) Anyway, you can force a router to use B/G.

WEP, WPA and WPA2 are security protocols for wi-fi. If you are using WEP, you'll see a string of "nonsensical" numbers and letters as your password for the network. For WPA and WPA2, you can use a password like something you would type in for an email account. The advice is for you to set your router to use one of these security protocols.
    01-12-12 09:39 PM

Or, download and install the blackberry desktop software on your computer, plug in your playbook and do the update that way.
    i don't think this desktop method works on a new Playbook. It needs to be activated before the desktop software will talk to it. The Playbook needs to be past the setup and the EULA agreed to before the desktop software will do anything with it but a debrick. After the debrick, it still needs to download using the wifi to complete the OS install.
    01-12-12 09:45 PM
    Uh oh...

You'll want to consult the manual for your Router and perhaps have someone more tech savvy with you when you do this.

802.11 is a wi-fi standard and broken down into A (oldest), B, G, and N (newest). New routers support N, but can also support A/B/G. It's been speculated that the Playbook doesn't like N routers. (I can't confirm this as my router is only A/B/G.) Anyway, you can force a router to use B/G.

WEP, WPA and WPA2 are security protocols for wi-fi. If you are using WEP, you'll see a string of "nonsensical" numbers and letters as your password for the network. For WPA and WPA2, you can use a password like something you would type in for an email account. The advice is for you to set your router to use one of these security protocols.
    I have had my PB on a Linksys E3000 with the "N" protocol and WPA2 since day one of release
    01-12-12 09:52 PM
    Any wifi at starbucks, mcdonalds, library, etc? You could try one of those places as a number of folks used public wifi to do the initial setup

Good luck
    01-12-12 09:53 PM
    Find the nearest MacDonald or coffee house with wifi and do the setup there. Let us know how it goes
    01-12-12 10:00 PM
    nope didnt work tried bothoh well its new anyways
    01-12-12 10:35 PM
    nope didnt work tried bothoh well its new anyways
    When you said you tried both, do you mean that you tried changing the router settings AND using public wifi?
    01-12-12 11:03 PM
    both public wifi
    01-13-12 07:13 AM
    Let's try again. What NOW happens if you try public wifi? Does it begin getting the update or does nothing happen?

Where are you located?

I have occasionally had problems downloading both updates and larger apps where I need to restart the downloads more than two or three times.

Good luck.
    blue-b likes this.
    01-13-12 09:04 AM
    I had that issue. Ended up exchanging :/
    01-13-12 10:38 AM
    i don't think this desktop method works on a new Playbook. It needs to be activated before the desktop software will talk to it. The Playbook needs to be past the setup and the EULA agreed to before the desktop software will do anything with it but a debrick. After the debrick, it still needs to download using the wifi to complete the OS install.
    Not at all !

I had the same issue. i own 16 Gb Pb. Everytime the download stops @ 92 % . Tried with multiple Wi - Fi connections - No use.
    Finally installed the BB Desktop Software on my PC . (Do remember to restart ur PC after the installation)
    Step 1. Open the BB desktop software
    Step 2. Connect ur PB with the cable provided and wait wait for a while until a message pop ups - if not unplug the USB cable wait for 10 Seconds and plug it back in
    Step 3. A message will pop up saying unable to connect to the device.
    Step 4. On the same Pop message u'll find three buttons on the right bottom saying "Retry", "Update", "Cancel"
    Step 5. Click on "Update"
    Step 6. It will download the updates and it will install it on ur PB
    Step 7. Once the update is installed successfully it will automatically restart.
    Final Step : Continue with the intial setup like Date , Time BB ID etc....

Once the Intial Setup is completed successfully , then u'll never have any issues with Wi fi Connections !!!
    Last edited by nethan_hunt; 01-13-12 at 11:24 AM.
    pmccartney likes this.
    01-13-12 11:15 AM
    ^ that's exactly what I've been recommending to friends. If you have the slightest hint of trouble doing the initial update via WiFi, just use the latest DM, plug in the PB and follow the instructions. It works flawlessly.
    01-13-12 11:33 AM
    Uh oh...

Good info, thanks! I wasn't aware of the PB not liking N networks. Mine is a dual band N router and I have two wireless networks one at each frequency. When my PB arrived it asked me to pick a network and I picked the 2.4Ghz network and it had no problem updating etc. When the second PB arrived I selected the 5Ghz network this time and it didnt have a problem either. Now both PBs can jump back and forth between the two networks seamlessly without any problems.
    01-13-12 11:48 AM
    Good info, thanks! I wasn't aware of the PB not liking N networks. Mine is a dual band N router and I have two wireless networks one at each frequency. When my PB arrived it asked me to pick a network and I picked the 2.4Ghz network and it had no problem updating etc. When the second PB arrived I selected the 5Ghz network this time and it didnt have a problem either. Now both PBs can jump back and forth between the two networks seamlessly without any problems.
    What make/model do you have? I'm interested in purchasing one.
    01-13-12 11:54 AM
    I don't by this whole playbook doesn't like N routers at all. I think it just doesn't like cheap 2.4 ghz N routers. I have the apple airport extreme dual band router and it kicks . My files stream from my Mac fast. My signal/connection is great and never drops

I believe it to be an issue with the WiFi drivers RIM is using in PlayBook os 1. In os 2 its much better.

But in my case. My playbook loves N

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    01-13-12 12:53 PM
    Not at all !

I had the same issue. i own 16 Gb Pb. Everytime the download stops @ 92 % . Tried with multiple Wi - Fi connections - No use.
    Finally installed the BB Desktop Software on my PC . (Do remember to restart ur PC after the installation)
    Step 1. Open the BB desktop software
    Step 2. Connect ur PB with the cable provided and wait wait for a while until a message pop ups - if not unplug the USB cable wait for 10 Seconds and plug it back in
    Step 3. A message will pop up saying unable to connect to the device.
    Step 4. On the same Pop message u'll find three buttons on the right bottom saying "Retry", "Update", "Cancel"
    Step 5. Click on "Update"
    Step 6. It will download the updates and it will install it on ur PB
    Step 7. Once the update is installed successfully it will automatically restart.
    Final Step : Continue with the intial setup like Date , Time BB ID etc....

Once the Intial Setup is completed successfully , then u'll never have any issues with Wi fi Connections !!!
    That is the debrick method, but depending on the country you are in, it still needs to download more of the OS specific to your country after the reboot and setup from debrick. It is just a smaller file and you may get it before the wifi gives you problems.
    01-13-12 01:02 PM
    ^ Debrick method or not, call it what ever you like but this is also what to do when you take your device out of the box and you don't have wifi. No fussing about. You are correct in that there is also one smaller file to install after the larger initial update.
    01-13-12 05:52 PM
    ^ Debrick method or not, call it what ever you like but this is also what to do when you take your device out of the box and you don't have wifi. No fussing about. You are correct in that there is also one smaller file to install after the larger initial update.
    You still need the wifi to complete the setup. Debrick brings it to a new out of the box state, except with the latest os. When you first reboot after the debrick it still does the setup process, which requires wifi, but the download for country specific software will be smaller and may work on a less reliable connection.
    01-13-12 06:22 PM
    No doubting or questioning what you're saying. The OP was in need of help and a few suggested the easiest way to get past/through the first big update which usually leads to better success and implementing update 2.
    01-13-12 06:38 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD