Let's make it simple. BACKUP.
    Let's make it even more simple : use DM; set it and forget it.

How :
    1/ In DM Tools/Options, check "start DM when a device is connected"
    2/ [With your device plugged and recognized by DM] In the device/Device options menu, in general tab, just click "backup my device" and choose the periodicity.
    Remember that backups storage might be a *little* cumbersome, so that you might not want to backup your whole multimedia things every week; tune it in "backup" tab.
    Also, some cleanup (oldest backups) can be performed time by time: since you can choose the backup folder destination, create/choose an "easy access" one (straight below "My documents" ?).

Now, all you have to do is plug your PB to your computer (once a day/week/month depending on the frequency you choose) when you leave for lunch or at night (while PC USB won't charge your PB much it should be enough to keep it in decent shape).

P.S: sorry if terms do not match exactly with your screen, it's a "spanish cow translation", but I guess you should find the corresponding terms easily.
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 10-03-12 at 05:50 PM. Reason: I've been warned once : lose not loose - don't want [...] to get his nerves XXlol
    diegonei, Heavens1 and BerryClever like this.
    10-03-12 05:44 PM
    Bump. Read before OS update. Just once.
    10-04-12 02:10 AM
    Let me be clear!

NOT EVERYONE CAN DO FULL BACKUPS. MINE HAVE FAILED CONSISTENTLY SINCE LAST JUNE. I AM NOT ALONE WITH THIS ISSUE.
    10-04-12 07:47 AM
    Yes I've never had a PB backup successfully on its own (and I've owned 5 now).

With that said the backup issue CAN be temporarily resolved - usually for a few weeks. I have threads on this that show how.

But --- most major PB users cannot successfully backup App-Data

So yes, posts like this can generate a negative response. However if it did work properly this would be good advice

Ed

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk
    10-04-12 08:47 AM
    last time i wanted to do a backup it wanted to backup like 10 GBs of crap and said it would take a couple hours. Screw that...RIM needs to have this type of thing changed before bb10 rolls out because the other manufactures dont have this issue at all. It just takes one time for a consumer to lose data and they are gone and will spew hatred at your company lol
    nnomad likes this.
    10-04-12 11:02 AM
    Let's make it even more simple : use DM; set it and forget it.

How :
    1/ In DM Tools/Options, check "start DM when a device is connected"
    2/ [With your device plugged and recognized by DM] In the device/Device options menu, in general tab, just click "backup my device" and choose the periodicity.
    Remember that backups storage might be a *little* cumbersome, so that you might not want to backup your whole multimedia things every week; tune it in "backup" tab.
    Also, some cleanup (oldest backups) can be performed time by time: since you can choose the backup folder destination, create/choose an "easy access" one (straight below "My documents" ?).

Now, all you have to do is plug your PB to your computer (once a day/week/month depending on the frequency you choose) when you leave for lunch or at night (while PC USB won't charge your PB much it should be enough to keep it in decent shape).

P.S: sorry if terms do not match exactly with your screen, it's a "spanish cow translation", but I guess you should find the corresponding terms easily.
    Good advice...except for the fact that Backup does not work, and has never worked, for my PB. I have the latest version of DM, but it's never worked with any version. Every time I get "there was an error backing up..." and have never once gotten any type of backup (full, media, etc.) to work.
    10-04-12 11:02 AM
    I guess I am one of the lucky few that can get backups 95% of the time (oh, though it has failed on me once or twice). That needs to be fixed, should be 100% for everyone. I find that RIM isn't very good at the desktop applications. They lack options and controls in their Desktop software. Design and function wise, they look like they were created in the 90s. IMO.

Edit:
    For data files not normally related to apps, I also "backup" without using the DM. I open the PB up as a storage device on my computer and manually copy the files onto my computer. After a clean wipe I just copy them back onto the PB. Not as fancy, but sometimes old school ways work well as back ups to back ups or when all else fails.
    Last edited by BerryClever; 10-04-12 at 12:03 PM.
    10-04-12 11:57 AM
    I think the problem is that the PlayBook currently doesn't sync the contacts and calendar apps using desktop manager and I assume it doesn't back them up either.

Until all the threads about loosing contacts came up yesterday, I forget that you could manually add contacts to the PlayBook native contacts app. I knew that you couldn't sync these apps with the desktop as that has never been enabled on any versions of Desktop Manager.
    10-04-12 12:02 PM
    It's a general advice ... I believe the vast majority - especially the "regular users" - can handle backups pretty easily. (BTW there's a decent tutorial here : How to back up your BlackBerry PlayBook and why I )

@ howarmat: wasn't that estimated time ? My experience is that it is faster than estimated. Also, you can perform selective backup, depending on what you want to save with backup (mostly app data / settings, while you can access media via Wifi / USB shares).

@robsteve; Sure they must do better ... but I believe backup saves all personal data, including contacts and calendar. I've fired a question to @blackberryhelp to be sure (I don't use local storage since I'm in MS/BB Cloud), will update.

P.S: I know you guys are serious BB users ...

EDIT @robsteve : I got the answer from BB support, see by yourself :
    So you still lose stuff after an update ?-capture.png
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 10-05-12 at 04:27 AM.
    10-04-12 01:17 PM
    I never backup prior to updating the BlackBerry Tablet OS without any data loss. Maybe I am just lucky or foolish. The "valuable" content is already stored on the microSD card in my BlackBerry smartphone therefore worse case scenario requires copying the few large documents to the tablet due to Bluetooth bandwidth issues when trying to access very large documents.
    10-04-12 01:22 PM
    Good advice...except for the fact that Backup does not work, and has never worked, for my PB. I have the latest version of DM, but it's never worked with any version. Every time I get "there was an error backing up..." and have never once gotten any type of backup (full, media, etc.) to work.
    You and me both. I have not been able to back up the device since the launch date of the Playbook. I've tried everything that has been suggested including full wipes of the Playbook to even a brand new laptop which I connected the Playbook to for the first time yesterday evening. Same error, every single time, at the exact same percentage complete; 96% - then "there was an error backing up" - it's so precise and exact that you can set your watch to it.

Oh well, I don't even bother trying anymore as it's an utter waste of time. Besides, anything sensitive is stored elsewhere and easily can be put back onto my device if it ever does go wonky.
    10-04-12 03:08 PM
    For those needing to backup (i.e. people like me who have burnt throuh 3 playbooks) here is the link to get backups working. Jump to post 9.

http://forums.crackberry.com/playboo...t-10-a-734493/

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    10-06-12 01:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD