how do you update to the new version as I am on the previous one? do you have to reapply for it?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9320 using Tapatalk
    08-18-12 02:24 PM
    Yes, you have to REGISTER your Playbook pin for each new update. A few minutes (in my case) later the new OS will show up through the software updates - check for updates process.
    Last edited by andyJH; 08-18-12 at 02:30 PM.
    08-18-12 02:26 PM
    If I download this beta will I still be able to download the actual 2.1 update when it's released, no problems?
    08-19-12 01:35 AM
    If I download this beta will I still be able to download the actual 2.1 update when it's released, no problems?
    I'm going to do a PB security wipe prior to downloading the OS2.1 official update.
    08-19-12 03:46 AM
    You should not rely on a smooth upgrade to the official 2.1 but it might be absolutely no problem. Just don't count on it. As the other poster noted, they are doing a wipe before it - that assures no issues. The main question is whether backup and restore will be painless between versions.
    08-19-12 09:33 AM
    I was running 2.0.1.668 on both my PB's, without any issues, but decided to upgrade my 16gb to 2.1.0.840. VERY impressive. Android apps in their own windows is great. As is the Messages app in Portrait mode. I also had the AT&T family app and Video Store installed by the update. And the browser is noticeably better than the browser in 2.0.1.668.
    08-20-12 07:57 PM
    Was thinking there were no significant changes with .840 until i realized that I no longer have WiFi connection. Did the usual, reset router, etc. You can depend on RIM to screw things up.
    Why is it automatically rim's fault when something goes wrong with peoples wifi? I have never had any issues with wifi. Or maybe rim just got it right just for my 3 playbooks. And yes I do know that there were cases of wifi issues, but in most cases, as I remember, it was equipment setup issues not always the PB.

New things for .840 - nothing much as I can tell. A few tweeks to the os and at&t stuff.

And the toaster works better as well

08-20-12 08:51 PM
    If i upgraded to beta os , is there any way other than Desktop Software update to come back to the normal os ? Will all the ota update be of betas in beta os ?
    08-20-12 09:00 PM
    If i upgraded to beta os , is there any way other than Desktop Software update to come back to the normal os ? Will all the ota update be of betas in beta os ?
    I would not fully count on being able to upgrade from the beta but it should work. Currently, after 24 hours with the beta, you can downgrade but it must be done with Desktop Manager.

Now, since your question might be misinterpreted, you have to apply for each beta separately. Like this last update to the existing beta - you had to REapply. There was no notice like you get for the normal OS. And checking the Options/SoftwareUpdate did not reveal it. You had to go back to the beta site and submit your info again and then download the newer version. Now, word of the newest beta are definitely news around Crackberry so you will know about it.
    08-20-12 09:43 PM
    I just read through the posts and see a lot of comments about speed increases, but is there a page somewhere devoted to the new features of the release?

Thanks.
    08-21-12 12:34 PM
    Anybody else noticed that the browser no longer saves passwords when instructed? (Yes, I have cookies enabled and I did clear the cache).
    08-22-12 08:36 AM
    Anybody else noticed that the browser no longer saves passwords when instructed? (Yes, I have cookies enabled and I did clear the cache).
    What's your "private browsing" setting?
    rafikiphoto likes this.
    08-22-12 08:57 AM
    Woops! It was set to on. Did I do that or is it the default? Thank you.
    08-22-12 10:29 AM
    Was thinking there were no significant changes with .840 until i realized that I no longer have WiFi connection. Did the usual, reset router, etc. You can depend on RIM to screw things up.
    HUH?? Works perfect.
    08-22-12 02:16 PM
    What's your "private browsing" setting?
    What is 'private browsing'?

Mine is auto set to 'off', but what's it's function?
    TNNurse likes this.
    08-22-12 06:23 PM
    What is 'private browsing'?

Mine is auto set to 'off', but what's it's function?
    Private browsing is the same as it is one your pc, it doesn't save previously viewed pages and leaves no history accepting no cookies.

Also it hasn't been mentioned that the screen resolution seems crystal clear sharp, to me atleast to the point that the icons are noticably tweaked.
    rexrim and anon(3641385) like this.
    08-22-12 06:48 PM
    Why are 'changelogs' getting shorter and shorter by the day? In RIM's case, non-existent. I understand it highlights the underlining issues since the official OS 2.1 is not released, but if they are 'dev' focused, changelogs would definitely help them.
    08-23-12 01:22 AM
    i noticed when i get a notification in some apps... i wasnt able to click it and it launch the app (i had sideloaded tweetcaster and word with friends) , it does it now with this update.
    08-23-12 02:30 AM
    Unfortunately the apps still need to be running and cannot be done in the background like on the BB smartphones (facebook, twitter, podcasts, weather, etc.)

I wonder how much battery gets consumed if these apps are left open.
    08-23-12 02:37 AM
    I lost video and camera capabilities. I can still view my pics and vids that I recorded. Any suggestions on how to get it back?
    08-26-12 01:08 AM
    I lost video and camera capabilities. I can still view my pics and vids that I recorded. Any suggestions on how to get it back?
    Have you tried any of the restart methods? (below).

Try installing it again. Worse yet, debrick (below

To fix an issue, try these in order:

Restart using the Battery Icon and press Restart

Press and hold the Power button for 10-15 seconds. Then leave it for 20-30 seconds and see if it restarts.

To REBOOT:
    Press and HOLD all three keys for about 10 - 20 seconds: PowerOn, VolUp and VolDown. Start with the PowerButton. Keep holding past the 3-choice options screen. If you hear a shutter type sound, you've taken a Screen Shot and probably missed the PowerButton.

Try the Debrick method....

Perform a backup of your pb if you can using Desktop Manager or, at least, manually coping any unique data, photos, voice recordings, documents, etc.

1) Turn your playbook OFF by holding down the power button
    2) Let your playbook sit for about 10 minutes as earlier suggested.
    3) After letting the PB sit (and still powered off) open up the Blackberry Desktop Software (the latest version)
    4) Once the Blackberry Desktop Software is opened, use the USB Cable and hook the PB to the PC.. THEN power on the Playbook
    5) A screen will show on your computer showing that the device cannot be found
    6) Click on Update. It will take awhile

------

and/or call rim

The PB has a one year warranty to the original purchaser. It also has 90 free Tech support. I do not know how Rim deals with "quasi-tech support v. warranty"

Rim Support
    Tel:
    Canada Toll Free: 1-877-644-8405
    United States Toll Free: 1-877-644-8410
    Puerto Rico Toll Free: 1-855-651-4936
    Email: [email protected] (this route generally does not work and a call is necessary)

(UK Support) 0800 096 2805

Playbook French Support
    http://fr.blackberry.com/playbook-ta...ok-support.jsp
    Phone : 0800 914 533 (within 90 days from activation)
    08-26-12 08:48 AM
    Will definitely try the debrick method. The 1st two have been done. Will run through them again though. Thanks.
    08-26-12 09:06 AM
    one of the things i noticed in the new os beta..that i can't recharge my playbook now via pc...before i was able to..now it tells me that it's can't recharged via this method
    08-26-12 02:24 PM
    I have read all that has been tweaked and worked on in 2.1.0.840...my question to you all is when is this becoming official!? its been in beta for a very long time and if they are not adding any new features outside of the ones they have already shared, then why is it taking so long?

I honestly believe that RIM is going to release more applications with 2.1...something along the lines like BBM, Twitter, update to FaceBook, and even the JayCut Video Editor app...there has to be more they didnt share otherwise why is it taking so long?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    08-26-12 02:46 PM
    Will definitely try the debrick method. The 1st two have been done. Will run through them again though. Thanks.
    That won't work, you can only downgrade to 668 and that isn't on their server anymore so it will download 358 and then fail. You need to download cfp and a copy of 668 and do it manually, did mine this afternoon and it works perfectly.
    08-26-12 04:41 PM
53 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD