Well, what do you know - Thor may be correct. Tablets will be dying in Five Years but until then, boy has rim missed the boat:

PC shipments face sharp slump in 2013 as tablets ascend - IDC

PC shipments face sharp slump in 2013 as tablets ascend - IDC

"By Noel Randewich

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Global personal computer shipments face a deeper-than-expected 7.8 percent slump this year as tablets overtake laptops for the first time, according to a report from market research company IDC.

The firm previously had forecast a 1.3 percent decline in PC shipments for 2013 but said in a report on Tuesday that consumers content with tablets are continuing to hold off replacing ageing laptops and desktop computers.

By 2015, tablets will outship not just laptops, but all PCs, according to IDC.

Driven by growth in inexpensive devices running Google's Android platform, worldwide tablet shipments will expand 58.7 percent this year, while average selling prices for the devices will fall 10.8 percent to $381, IDC said.

Since Apple launched the iPad in 2010, PC industry heavyweights like Hewlett-Packard, Microsoft and Intel have struggled to adapt their products to consumers' growing preferences for mobile devices.

PC shipments are expected to fall an additional 1.2 percent next year, according to IDC.

(Reporting by Noel Randewich; Editing by Dan Grebler)"
    Carterbits likes this.
    05-28-13 03:17 PM
    If there's one thing I've learned in the few decades I've existed in this mortal state, it's that technology and people's tastes can change almost overnight. I've also learned that you can't really predict what those changes will be or when they will occur.

So Thor made a pretty bold statement, there. And it's obvious he doesn't know any more than you or I what will happen in 5 years. Who knows? In 5 years his guess may prove right and everyone will be saying "tablets are so 2013". Or he'll be wrong and everyone will be bashing Thor from their tablets.

I'm don't really care either way. I just seek out the technology that works best for me. If that happens to be a tablet 5 years from now, that's what I'll use.
    05-28-13 03:30 PM
    If there's one thing I've learned in the few decades I've existed in this mortal state, it's that technology and people's tastes can change almost overnight. I've also learned that you can't really predict what those changes will be or when they will occur.

So Thor made a pretty bold statement, there. And it's obvious he doesn't know any more than you or I what will happen in 5 years. Who knows? In 5 years his guess may prove right and everyone will be saying "tablets are so 2013". Or he'll be wrong and everyone will be bashing Thor from their tablets.

I'm don't really care either way. I just seek out the technology that works best for me. If that happens to be a tablet 5 years from now, that's what I'll use.
    yea, no one knows what will happen, but at least make a more probable prediction with some solid data to back it up. its like me saying in 5 years no one will use cell phone. what fact or evident do i have to support that beside coming out of my mouth?

now everyone running away with him saying that and thinking that "mobile computing" will take over and all you need is a smartphone and connect it to a blank screen and everything works.
    05-28-13 03:37 PM
    now everyone running away with him saying that and thinking that "mobile computing" will take over and all you need is a smartphone and connect it to a blank screen and everything works.
    Truth be told, that's actually my ideal setup. I want a smartphone robust enough to be a portable device when I want it to be, but then be able to dock it with a keyboard, mouse, and monitor and drive a full desktop experience. If I had a smartphone that could do that well, I probably wouldn't use my PlayBook nearly as much as I do.

Ubuntu is leading the way with this concept, and I think BlackBerry's vision is along the same lines.
    05-28-13 03:42 PM
    Thor should have said:

"We listened to what our customers wanted and acted on what they said. Good things happen when you pay attention".
    05-28-13 03:44 PM
    Truth be told, that's actually my ideal setup. I want a smartphone robust enough to be a portable device when I want it to be, but then be able to dock it with a keyboard, mouse, and monitor and drive a full desktop experience. If I had a smartphone that could do that well, I probably wouldn't use my PlayBook nearly as much as I do.

Ubuntu is leading the way with this concept, and I think BlackBerry's vision is along the same lines.
    yes, i would love to have just my cellphone and do everything, but its pretty unrealistic. until you can fit all the component you have in your desktop to a cell phone, it most likely just fantasy. also, they will need a fan in a cellphone if you want that to happen. try using cellphone to surf for 20min and see how hot it gets.
    05-28-13 04:04 PM
    I wonder if TH is thinking along the same lines of the original aspirations for the PlayBook. This was the reason why there were no contact apps, no calendar, no BBM, or texting capabilities on the PlayBook... it adds to the security if you lost a tablet.

There is only 1 computing platform that TH is referring for the future reference of tablets; the BlackBerry phone is going to power the tablet - it's going to be the brains for the two systems. Anything you do on the tablet will be saved in the BlackBerry phone that you carry around and the tablet is just a monitor to increase the size and ease to display the phones memory.

So if you lose/ misplace the tablet there is no major loss as it's just a glorified monitor for the OS10 platform.

My thoughts - maybe you'll carry around 1 device that contains all your information, then you carry around a dumb tablet that is lower cost due to the lack of computing requirements.
    No more paying $400-500 dollars for a tablet, because it is a dumb tablet.

The future of tablets? A possibility? maybe
    anon(6038817) likes this.
    05-28-13 04:05 PM
    05-28-13 04:18 PM
    I wonder if TH is thinking along the same lines of the original aspirations for the PlayBook. This was the reason why there were no contact apps, no calendar, no BBM, or texting capabilities on the PlayBook... it adds to the security if you lost a tablet.

There is only 1 computing platform that TH is referring for the future reference of tablets; the BlackBerry phone is going to power the tablet - it's going to be the brains for the two systems. Anything you do on the tablet will be saved in the BlackBerry phone that you carry around and the tablet is just a monitor to increase the size and ease to display the phones memory.

So if you lose/ misplace the tablet there is no major loss as it's just a glorified monitor for the OS10 platform.

My thoughts - maybe you'll carry around 1 device that contains all your information, then you carry around a dumb tablet that is lower cost due to the lack of computing requirements.
    No more paying $400-500 dollars for a tablet, because it is a dumb tablet.

The future of tablets? A possibility? maybe
    I agree that this is a distinct possibility. I find Thor's vision far more tangible/realistic than this idea of a stand alone phone, tablet and computer connected by partially accessible cloud servers. One device is the brains and the others are peripheral support devices. Makes a lot of sense.
    anon(6038817) and Thunderbuck like this.
    05-28-13 04:31 PM
    yes, i would love to have just my cellphone and do everything, but its pretty unrealistic. until you can fit all the component you have in your desktop to a cell phone, it most likely just fantasy. also, they will need a fan in a cellphone if you want that to happen. try using cellphone to surf for 20min and see how hot it gets.
    The original iPhone was a game-changing device and it came out only 6 years ago. Look how far mobile device technology has come since then. Processors and other components continue to get smaller, faster, and more energy efficient. More and more people are ditching laptops and even desktops for tablets and smartphones.

Pick up your smartphone and just look at it for a moment. Do you realize that you hold in the palm of your hand more computing power than was used to put a man on the moon?

Why is it unrealistic to believe that in 5 years' time we will see smartphone-sized devices that can do much of what desktops currently do?
    cdnynot likes this.
    05-28-13 04:56 PM
    Tablets dead in 5 years is a catchy headline but not something Heins said as far as I can tell. I have a hard time believing much of what I read and try to trace things back to the source. He is speaking about a portion of the mobile workers, not tablets in general.
    Here is the interview from which the "quote" comes from:

Watch from about 10:00 to 17:00 to put it in context.
    eddy_berry likes this.
    05-28-13 06:58 PM
    Tablets dead in 5 years is a catchy headline but not something Heins said as far as I can tell. I have a hard time believing much of what I read and try to trace things back to the source. He is speaking about a portion of the mobile workers, not tablets in general.
    Here is the interview from which the "quote" comes from:

Watch from about 10:00 to 17:00 to put it in context.
    "When you exercise your freedom to express yourself at the lowest level, you ultimately condemn yourself to live at that level".
    05-29-13 10:55 AM
    Five years from now we'll all be using $200 Google Glasses and wonder why we were so excited about our PlayBooks
    05-29-13 11:30 AM
    Five years from now we'll all be using $200 Google Glasses and wonder why we were so excited about our PlayBooks
    I'm not interested in Google Glass or any such device.
    dphjeff likes this.
    05-29-13 11:35 AM
    In that case then I will be in my cellar alone using this forum to talk to myself as usual. I have saved all the avatars of people I like though so I can imagine I'm talking to them.

Thinking about that "BRING ON THORS PROPHECY"! A life in my cellar without an over educated gooseberry, a flippant cat backchatting me, or fanboys calling me a troll whenever I make a post, or any further drivel regarding bb10 on the pb. Oh Thor I forgive you, but please make it come true!
    dphjeff and playbook_swiper1 like this.
    05-29-13 11:42 AM
    I'm not interested in Google Glass or any such device.
    In 5 years BlackBerry will have ripped them off too. So glasses for all

Posted via CB10
    05-29-13 11:49 AM
    In 5 years BlackBerry will have ripped them off too. So glasses for all

Posted via CB10
    I will forgive you because your obviously Swedish by origin. Before we go any further is there any chance you could perhaps explain to me who or what a google is?
    05-29-13 11:53 AM
    Molson?

Posted via CB10
    sad_old_man likes this.
    05-29-13 12:09 PM
    "When you exercise your freedom to express yourself at the lowest level, you ultimately condemn yourself to live at that level".
    Being in your cellar by yourself makes you capable of having deeper intellectual thoughts...

But beware of too much "being alone by yourself"... you may end up believing too that tablet is going to be dead in 5 years time... unless, you only want to justify why it is no longer important to push BB10 to PlayBook...

Posted via Z10
    sad_old_man likes this.
    05-29-13 12:10 PM
    In that case then I will be in my cellar alone using this forum to talk to myself as usual.
    I'm still trying to figure out whether it's a wine cellar or beet cellar.

Either scenario would explain your shenanigans.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    05-29-13 12:12 PM
    Tablets are just overgrown phones,period.

Z10? Why yes it is.
    05-29-13 12:12 PM

Insult after insult! Where's the cat or the gooseberry when you need them?

I would like you to know good sir that primarily the cellar contains brandy, bourbon and port. However I am a multi functional, multinational, non biased ***** so I like to experience all things that are alcohol based. My cellar therefore also contains a variation of beers, wines, champagnes, liqueurs and some things you should never drink but they contain ethanol so I like to try them. I also dabble in making things of my own! Mmmmmmmm
    05-29-13 12:33 PM

It's a "route" cellar - the only route SOM can do blindly. That is blind drunkly.
    05-29-13 01:20 PM
    I will forgive you because your obviously Swedish by origin. Before we go any further is there any chance you could perhaps explain to me who or what a google is?
    I think sad old men use it to find chick's

Posted via CB10
    05-29-13 02:36 PM
    It's a "route" cellar - the only route SOM can do blindly. That is blind drunkly.
    I would like you to know good forum member ambassador thingy type person as well that my vision improves dramatically after a visit to the cellar. After the visit I see two of everything so in my world I have improved my vision 100%! How much improvement do you want?
    05-29-13 02:38 PM
51 123